John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Pay special attention to the writing on the cake in the second photo:

Congratulations to the new Emperor of Vienna

*cue Imperial March*

Ah, I see the Austrian Empire is back! Hope he reforms the HRE, too! Long live John Charlemagne Williams!

57 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Ah, I see the Austrian Empire is back! Hope he reforms the HRE, too! Long live John Charlemagne Williams!

Gott erhalte John den Kaiser! Wait... I mean Down with the tyrant! 😠

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

2) I've now performed on a stage that Williams has also performed on

Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler, Strauss, Furtwängler, Karajan, Kleiber, Williams, Schedenig? How did that happen? 😯😉

On 1/18/2020 at 8:01 PM, Timo Martikainen said:

Cameraman confirmed to me that the concert isn't only broadcasted later on some local channel, but there's also going to be Blu-ray release of it.

That would be ServusTV, by the way.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That would be ServusTV, by the way.

Would be sweet if we get to see it in the States.  I hope PBS shows it on Great Performances or something.

7 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

The hospitality towards Williams has been truly kingly during this visit. I haven't expected that.

Zis is how Austrians say goodbye!

XXL

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Two things occurred to me:

1) I've now seen John Williams live as many times (3) as I've seen Jerry Goldsmith

It occurred to me that I have now heard Williams music performed in Het Concertgebouw, Boston Symphony Hall and the Muzikverein.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

*cue Imperial March*

I think Yoda's Theme would be more apt. Or if you want an Imperial connection why not the Emperor's theme. ;) 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Zis is how Austrians say goodbye!

XXL

It occurred to me that I have now heard Williams music performed in Het Concertgebouw, Boston Symphony Hall and the Muzikverein.

When did this happen? Have a date? Thanks!

Nevermind, still morning here 😅

(thought you said Williams performed in het Concertgebouw 😍)

12 hours ago, Tydirium said:

So... If ASM and Williams made a stop in NY—and ASM had to be in Kansas City on the 21st—and ASM's earlier IG post said "we had to rush to the airport after Sunday’s concert"...

Does this mean that @wickerman was correct? Was @Jay mistaken? Because it seems based on the info we have that JW did indeed leave Vienna soon after the concert, and traveled with ASM back to the US.

Yes, I told you. Their left Vienna for NYC on private jet literally 2 hours after the concert. John went back to the hotel and they loaded bags into cars few minutes later. Plane departed something around 16h local time.

9 minutes ago, wickerman said:

Yes, I told you. Their left Vienna for NYC on private jet literally 2 hours after the concert. John went back to the hotel and they loaded bags into cars few minutes later. Plane departed something around 16h local time.

But how did you know that?

11 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Yeah, my friends wrote that, I gave them the info about the brass section wanting to play The Imperial March, so that info came from here :)

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 12:53 PM, eitam said:

I have to say, I thought he looked his age, physically frail.Though that didn't seem to reflect in any way on the quality and energy of his conducting. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:31 PM, crocodile said:

Well, at this age his legs won't be as stable so can't exactly prance around the stage. But he looked fine.

Yeah, I guess his walk isn't exactly sprightly. But his arms and upper body are probably in much better shape than his legs. 60 years of conducting will do that to you!. :)

I've always thought that THE SECRET WAYS has a THE THIRD MAN-like quality about it (the film, not the score), so cool that he got to stop by that museum.

20 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Little bit of John conducting in this video

I'm really curious what the cameramen have written on that "script" - anyone who has done that work (or sat close enough) care to enlighten us?

22 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

*cue Imperial March*

that's just weird and embarrasing, seriously. 

21 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Remembrances, full performance.  

Nice!

Its funny how all the videos are from the right balcony only😅

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

Obviously security's blindspot!

I was there on Saturday and they were keep on coming there after each piece telling everyone to sit down and stop filming, but their jedi tricks did not work there

here is another piece I have filmed from the front row...

On 1/23/2020 at 12:34 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Two things occurred to me:

1) I've now seen John Williams live as many times (3) as I've seen Jerry Goldsmith

So, because you brought this up now: (we needed to have talked more in Gmoakeller ;))

"Questions, Leon", erm, I mean Marian:

- Which Goldsmith concerts did you attend? Me and Romy were lucky enough to experience his 70th birthday concert in Edinburgh (so refreshing, a lot of pieces were interpreted quite differently than the known recordings) - but no small talk or autograph afterwards with our little group of afficionados (yes, it was different back then *sigh*) since he had to rush back to his hotel room to score "The Mummy", which I only found out about later.

- What kind of performance are you alluding to? Did you conduct? ;)

- How about a birthday meeting on Saturday, February 8 to celebrate the Maestro's birthday and yours belatedly? I could be coaxed into driving up to Vienna again, there's so much I would still like to talk about ... and celebrate.

- Some (seemingly) unrelated stuff: You have something to do with animation or games? I did both, our daughter is also interested in both and already drawing animations. (I'm more the cartoon and 3D guy, or (retro) coding/pixeling/composing, when I'm not playing the Theremin (learned the violin though), or listening to film scores or chip music... ;))

If this is too much (sorry) you may answer via PM, if you like,

or we chat about everything in Vienna on February 8!

Over & Out

Martin

READY.

P.S.: Most importantly - when is your birthday?!?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Severus TV, you say? Sounds heavy.

It‘s actually a Red Bull TV channel ( though with some interesting programming). "Servus“ is a casual way of saying "hello" in Austrian dialect. 😉

I'm talking about CD recordings. Or were classic albums like "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration" and "Williams on Williams" culled from live concerts...? I assumed they were recorded separately in sessions.

Also, to @Jay or whoever made the post about these Vienna concerts on the front page, I just thought I'd mention that this pic you included is actually from a different venue; @toothless was telling us about a different concert he was attending on the same day.

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No. Not by a long shot. Boston Pops performances were filmed at times too.

True, but none of them have been released, AFAIK. All the clips you see on Youtube etc. have been culled from privately taped television broadcasts.

15 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I'm talking about CD recordings. Or were classic albums like "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration" and "Williams on Williams" culled from live concerts...? I assumed they were recorded separately in sessions.

No, those were studio recordings.

Is "film recording" just a strange way of saying "video recording"? Because when someone says "film", I automatically think of theatrical releases in 35mm or 4K DCP.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

whoever made the post about these Vienna concerts on the front page, I just thought I'd mention that this pic you included is actually from a different venue; @toothless was telling us about a different concert he was attending on the same day.

@Ricard

58 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Cool, that's what I thought. So again, unless I am mistaken it would seem that this is the first "live" John Williams CD recording.

That's one of the things I hope his biographers will keep in mind while describing this concert, together with the fact that the orchestra was seated American style, and that the structure of the concert followed a Boston pops structure as discussed in the Previn interview in the other thread.