the best blade runner edition?

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The best edition is the movie.

Indeed. If there was ever a score that works best heard with the film, it's Blade Runner (actually that applies to the sequel as well).

8 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I disagree. I think the 2049 score is very good. The atmosphere it creates is incredible.

How would you describe the atmosphere it creates?

2 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

lmThe score for Blade Runner 2049 doesn't work well inside or outside of the movie. The first film's score is a masterpiece

The first film’s score works remarkably well within the context of the film. Indeed, it’s iconic.

But I don’t find it to be an incredibly satisfactory listening experience on its own.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

But I don’t find it to be an incredibly satisfactory listening experience on its own.

True, the music is so interwoven with the images that it's almost a crime to listen to the score on its own.

How does the 25th anniversary boxset compare to other BR score releases, and which release is the most complete? It's the only version of the score I'm familiar with.

It's way more complete than the original soundtrack that was released in the early '90s. I suppose there are bootlegs that contain every note of the score but they usually disappoint in sound quality because it's a mix of official released stuff and bootleg stuff.

• 2 years later...

The "ost" (the album Vangelis released 1994) is all you need, IMO.  All the other editions just add useless crap, again IMO.

Many of the actual performances used in the film remain completely unreleaed or leaked to this day

The first CD of the 3 CD release actually is the 1994 OST.

The second CD contains mostly film related stuff similar to the OST. So if you want more music from the film, it's not totally pointless IMHO.

The thrid CD contains new music that has nothing to do at all with the film (except tha some motives from the first two CDs reapear now and then...). If you like Vangelis, especially his "The City" you may enjoy it, but it has no value in terms of film score.

It's sure better than not having any BR music at all - however the whole BR music situation still is a total mess. It's no way even near complete, and most music (especially on the CD 1) is spoiled by dialog from the film, by overlapping beginnings/endings or by not beeing the same version or edit as in the film. Sad! 

As a Vangelis fan, the release is nice, but as a Blade Runner fan, it's frustrating. And many tracks STILL have the wrong speed!

The highlight of the Trilogy is CD 2, and the highlights of CD 2 are "Dr. Tyrell's Owl", "At Mr. Chew's", and "Leon's Room", imo

Vangelis shouldn't be in control of his album releases anymore. He puts new 7-seconds long reverbs on every (!) remaster. If you want the real thing, you gotta buy the old CDs. Of course, there was never a release of Blade Runner in the '80s, so we'll never have the music how it sounded in 1982.

12 hours ago, AC1 said:

there was never a release of Blade Runner in the '80s...

Alex, you're forgetting the New American Orchestra :lol:

There's something called the Esper Edition which in meant to be good.

There's also a boot. which was released in '97/'98, and came from Poland (I think).

It has the full version of WOUNDED ANIMALS, and the Ladd Company Logo, the Gail Laughton music, and other source cues. The sound is quite clean, if a tad dry.

19 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Alex, you're forgetting the New American Orchestra :lol:

I haven't. I even bought the LP at the time. The flugelhorn on 'Blade Runner Blues' is a true highlight and better than the original. :o