SPOILER TALK: Solo: A Star Wars Story

John

Since the movie comes out in less than 2 weeks and there are possibly valid spoilers/plot points already floating around the internet, I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread.

For those willing to check it out, here's the reported full plot synopsis for the movie, courtesy of Reddit.

Huh, if what people were calling a plot twist is just 

Spoiler

Darth Maul

and if that post is accurate...then it's not really a twist.  Just an unexpected cameo.

Honestly, I really hope that spoiler isn't real. It's blatant fan pandering at the cost of quality storytelling. The majority of fans/audiences didn't watch The Clone Wars or Rebels and have no clue that Maul has been resurrected in those series. All they know is that Maul died in an abyss on Naboo back in Phantom Menace.

Yeah, it doesn't make cinematic sense.

Spoiler

I have seen Clone Wars, but not Rebels. I seem to have forgotten Maul's fate in the former. I think if the cameo is small enough, it won't really matter as much. It is one of the weirder cameos though. I mean, Darth Maul in Solo: A Star Wars Story? Weird, although he apparently ends up a crime lord. I heard that he was simply seen in a hologram for a minute or so, so fans who have not seen the TV series' may be able to assume he's someone else. Ho-hum. 

I think it's a really cool idea, I couldn't give a shit about continuity with the cartoons. It's just disappointing that it apparently just amounts to a mysterious cameo.  Still looking forward to the movie of course.

I thought it was supposed to be a tease for the Kenobi spin-off.  They technically already did the "resurrected Darth Maul fights Obi-Wan" in Rebels (recently too) but nobody likes or cares about that show.  

As someone who hasn't seen any of the animated shows, it was a HUGE surprise to see Darth Maul's return in the film this morning. I literally scratched my head in the auditorium, and wondered how they would account for that towards the end. Then there was no explanation, at which point I remembered this was only the first of several SOLO films. In either case, I'm curious to see how they'll account for that.

But man -- seeing Darth Maul with the careful statement of Williams' "Duel of the Fates" was bonechilling, to say the least!

1 minute ago, Thor said:

seeing Darth Maul with the careful statement of Williams' "Duel of the Fates" was bonechilling, to say the least!

Was it the proper Duel of the Fates or the choral whispers and percussion that surrounded Maul in The Phantom Menace?

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Was it the proper Duel of the Fates or the choral whispers and percussion that surrounded Maul in The Phantom Menace?

Proper "Duel of the Fates", although I think in strings, not choir.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Which component of the theme was used? The choral music, the ostinato, the fanfare?

It went by so quickly, I can't really remember (just as we see Maul's face in the hologram). May have been a string version of the choral statements in the orignial theme.

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

Does Maul have back problems?

So would you after having your legs chopped off! ;)

Here is an article of some easter eggs and references in Solo: A Star Wars Story. Minor-mild spoilers.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/feature/a857393/solo-a-star-wars-story-easter-eggs-references/

A quick summary.

Spoiler

1. Obviously the golden dice chain.

2. Mention of the Hutt Cartel, crime syndicate run by the Hutts and also appears in the Clone Wars show, if I recall correct.

3. The use of the Imperial March at the Imperial Spaceport.

4. Han is called 'flyboy' by Rio Durant, echoing Leia's line in SW.

5. Bossk the bounty hunter (lizard guy from ESB) , mentioned.

6. Mention of Scarif (Rogue One) , which apparently has large stores of fuel that many of the movies heists and missions seem to revolve around.

7. Lando says he "hates Han", to which Han replies familiarly "I know".

8. Aurra Sing, who has a cameo in TPM and a slightly larger role in the Clone Wars series, is killed by Beckett.

9. Lando says he hates mining. He ends up being leader of a gas mine in ESB.

10. Beckett wears Lando's disguise from RotJ, used in Jabba's Palace.

11. The Kessel Run. 

12. Han goes off to Tatooine at the end of the film to meet up with a gangster. Let's hear it for Solo 2, with Jabba the Hutt. There is no actual mention of Jabba in the film.

13. Enfys Nest appears to be part of a group that aids the Rebellion.

The story goes on how long before ANH? Maul was killed by Obi Wan (again) in Rebels cartoon when Luke was just a child, literally.

2 minutes ago, James said:

The story goes on how long before ANH? Maul was killed by Obi Wan (again) in Rebels cartoon when Luke was just a child, literally.

You know, knowing Maul, if there is a time inconsistency, he probably ended up surviving the Rebels fiasco. A few more parts and he's good.

2asmo5.jpg

This basically.

They leave the impression that he was cut in half again... in the opposite direction. :D Go to 1:45.

2 minutes ago, John said:

There is no time inconsistency. The film takes place before the events of Rebels.

Yes, know that.

1 minute ago, James said:

They leave the impression that he was cut in half again ... in the opposite direction. :D Go to 1:45.

Does the series ever specify what happens to Maul after. Does Obi-Wan leave him there? I

1 hour ago, John said:

There is no time inconsistency. The film takes place before the events of Rebels.

The film takes place when Luke is a small child? Y'know, like immediately after ROTS -- wouldn't that make Han younger than he's being portrayed?

According to the wiki, the events of Maul's death episode "Twin Suns" take place two years before the battle of Yavin. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

The film takes place when Luke is a small child? Y'know, like immediately after ROTS -- wouldn't that make Han younger than he's being portrayed?

Clearly it is our mistake to assume that Luke is a child in Rebels. Leia, his twin sister, is already grown up and plays a part in the show too.

Here the only glimpse we had of Luke.

6 hours ago, James said:

According to the wiki, the events of Maul's death episode "Twin Suns" take place two years before the battle of Yavin. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

Clearly it is our mistake to assume that Luke is a child in Rebels. Leia, his twin sister, is already grown up and plays a part in the show too

Here the only glimpse we had of Luke.

Ah, ok then. Thanks for the clarification!

@EhTar and @Thor, anything to say about the film that isn't already posted here. Any things you noticed/liked/remember that are worth sharing?

I remember seeing this in the movie thread.

image.jpeg

Well...

Spoiler

display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e789

Confirmation of 

Spoiler

Warwick Davis' Weazel and Anthony Daniels as Wookie Tak in Solo: A Star Wars Story from Imdb cast list.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Sounds amazing! But the transition at 15 seconds is very unmusical. I hope it's only a microedit...

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Can't wait to see it now! Maul looks much less worse in motion than on that one screenshot, the Han theme is great. Couldn't watch the first clip through, not a fan of the sound of French.

Ha, ha...really? I can understand someone not liking it for a myriad of reasons (not enough mythological stuff, being too "light" etc.), but boring?!? I'd even argue it's one of the least boring STAR WARS films.

47 minutes ago, Thor said:

I can understand someone not liking it for a myriad of reasons (not enough mythological stuff, being too "light" etc.), but boring?!?

Its actually a claim I've heard being thrown around quite a big in the online amateur "critic" community.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha...really? I can understand someone not liking it for a myriad of reasons (not enough mythological stuff, being too "light" etc.), but boring?!? I'd even argue it's one of the least boring STAR WARS films.

I think I'm entitled to call a film boring when I'm bored for most of its runtime.

Sure, there are a lot of things happening (or exploding) in Solo, but I never found it to be engaging or surprising in any way. Most of the action scenes (and there are a lot of them) I just felt I had to sit through. Same for the non-action scenes for that matter. It all felt so by-the-numbers and predictable. Just another empty spectacle.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Most of the action scenes (and there are a lot of them) I just felt I had to sit through.

How many were there?

If you like Star Wars then you’ll enjoy this. It’s just a lot of fun. Could probably do with being about 10 minutes shorter but I really enjoyed it. Very rewatchable.