New Spielberg project: Ulysses S Grant biopic

Not Mr. Big

I just hope it doesn't indulge in the the tedious sermonizing and beatific framing of Lincoln, or goes down the revisionist route of depicting Grant as some sort of Post-Obama era saint. Like all mortal men he had share of flaws and hubris

anthony-quinn-arabia1.jpg

He is... not... perfect.

DiCaprio was attached for a while to a Scorsese directed Theodore Roosevelt biopic, I wonder what happened to that one.  TR is my favourite US President, and frankly I'd rather see that.

One thing I liked about Lincoln is that it definitely was not a biopic.  If this Grant project actually gets made (and I'm not agin it) then I'd bet it would be similarly focused on a single important episode in his life.

But anyway, it's best not to take any of this too seriously, Spielberg is always casting about for the next project or the project after that and after that.  Most don't get made.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

But anyway, it's best not to take any of this too seriously, Spielberg is always casting about for the next project or the project after that and after that.  Most don't get made.

Yeah, best not to take this one for Granted.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Lincoln is one of the 5 best movies Spielberg has ever made

serious.gif

I agree. Lincoln is fantastic. Rewatched it a few months ago, and loved just about everything about it. 

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

Spielberg already made Lincoln 2.

This would have been 10 times better if the footage were actually directed Spielberg and scored by Williams.  

On 5/18/2018 at 7:35 PM, Wojism said:

So this means Shaara's The Last Full Measure will never be filmed, completing The Killer Angels trilogy. 

Not sure how to feel about that. So far the trilogy has produced one atrocious film and one amazing one...

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I like Spielberg as the chronicler of American history.

Actually, I have a feeling we'll soon see a Spielberg movie about the Israeli-Palestine conflict.

Spielberg presents:

Gaza

Tagline: The world owes us!

Starring Ben Kingsley, Natalie Portman, Adam Sandler, Shia La Beouf

9 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Even more Americana?

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat....

I count any new possible Williams score as a win.  That being said, it is a bit disappointing that it's going to take place in the exact same era as Lincoln (that score's defining feature was its utilization of the "sounds of the time" so it doesn't seem like there's much more for this one to do).  Then again, The Post sounded like a pretty well-worn topic for Williams but it ended up covering some cool relatively unexplored territory for Williams (the modern minimalism in "The Presses Roll", the weird orchestra fade-in/fade-out effect in "The Papers") 

Assuming this would take place sometime during his presidency (a big assumption) I'd be interested just because that era (1870s) is pretty unexplored in terms of historical movies/TV (well, outside of Westerns at least).  I'm especially interested in seeing the story of the Compromise of 1877 dramatized.  It's an interesting and pivotal moment in American history that's not widely talked about.

Obviously, all of these kind of historical movies that Spielberg makes are pure Disco Stu Bait.

A film writer recently asked Spielberg, "Do you even remember when you were a relevant filmmaker?" Spielberg  said "No!"