Lukas Kendall's Indiegogo—sci-fi short film

I've been meaning to check it out, but IndieGoGo apparentiy is incompatible with the antiquated browser I have to use at work (an older version of Internet Explorer!).  Kind of weird.  I hope to look soon.

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody doesn't follow the FSM board, I thought I would mention that Lukas Kendall's Indiegogo campaign crossed the $25,000 threshold a few hours ago!  Congrats Lukas!

Also, the campaign will remain active until 11:59pm Pacific Time, Thursday May 31, so there's still time to contribute and take advantage of the perks Lukas and some of the other specialty labels have offered.

I too lament the death of FSM as a CD label...and I loved the back cover quotes. I would also point out that the cover art vastly improved over the course of the label's life. Heck, the difference between their View from Pompey's Head cover and the Take a Hard Ride cover was already huge, and those weren't even released that far apart. :)

Yavar

I pre-ordered the CD. I figure any Ron Jones is a little closer to my precious DuckTales in spirit. And I've never pre-ordered a CD for a soundtrack that hasn't been written yet. Exciting. 

• 10 months later...

Hello everybody!

We will release the trailer next Tuesday, April 30, to SKY FIGHTER and send a private VIMEO LINK & password to watch the completed film to all the contributors to the 2018 Indiegogo.

Hard to believe this will be ONE YEAR (almost to the day) when the first Indiegogo launched. But the good news—the film is done!

If you are waiting for the Ron Jones soundtrack CD (which now won't exist) as the final perk from the 2018 Indiegogo, we'll be sending a Blu-ray/soundtrack CD (of the Bobby Villarreal score) to fulfill this park—only it will be later this year, after our festival run concludes. 

To drive everybody nuts, it will be packaged as the 251st Film Score Monthly release, in a 2CD case (not a Blu-ray case).

And...don't kill me, we'll be launching a second, much smaller Indiegogo next Tuesday (4/30/19) to cobble together enough money to make a Blu-ray/soundtrack CD and pay down my credit card—because I spent way more money than we raised!

I mean...WAY more money...it's not good times in the Kendall household.

But I can't wait to show off the film! We just have to keep it off the Internet publicly or else the film festivals won't take it.

Thanks!

Lukas

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=3&forumID=1&threadID=126793&archive=0

On page 12 of that link:

transparent.gif
transparent.gif
icon1.gif  Posted:   Mar 2, 2019 - 5:56 PM     
   By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

UPDATE: The film is done! Here is a live video that my friend and editor Rob Burnett shot at the mix earlier this week, for his youtube channel:

This might as well be a good time to break the bad news...that Ron Jones ended up NOT scoring the short. 

It's really as simple as what people say all the time...it was creative differences.

Behind that, however, it's my fault, as I made one big mistake: I told Ron he could have a free hand for the score, and then when his first demos came in for themes and ideas, I realized I heard the film very differently, and I wanted to give him a lot of direction. 

But taking a lot of specific notes from me was not what he signed up for...so we agreed not to do this together.

In my defense: we had several logistical problems that made working together problematic—we're in separate cities (I can't easily travel due to small kids at home), and also, I wanted a synth score, meaning Ron needed to hire somebody else just to mock up his pencil-on-paper sketches so I could hear what he was getting at. (I explain more of this at 21:00 of the youtube video.) 

Something else I messed up that IS my fault: I took too long to get the final cut to Ron, and he ran short of time before he had to go back to other commitments. 

So that's the bad news. And I really do feel very bad about this, not just because I wanted him to score the film, but I fundraised on his name and he very graciously signed many Best of Both Worlds CDs for our donors. (Incidentally, one of Ron's other commitments is this great jazz group: http://www.jazzforest.com—check it out!)

The good news is that I met a terrific young composer in Los Angeles, Bobby Villarreal, who did exactly the synth score I wanted and we're both very happy with it. You can hear bits of it in the youtube video, above. Bobby and I were able to work the way a director and composer really need to on this kind of synth score, where I could go to his studio and we could go through all kinds of synth sounds and audition things on the spot.

Also, very good news—we're all very happy with the quality of the short! 

I have to beg everybody's patience that I have to keep a lid on it while we figure out business plans for festivals, distribution—and making the feature film for which the short is a proof of concept. But I promise to keep you all posted. 

And I know I owe the donors a soundtrack CD...of a Ron Jones score that now is not going to exist, so we'll probably make a bluray/soundtrack CD combo pack and send that out, which I hope people accept!

(Justin Boggan, I know you are keeping watch of the IMDB credits: I have updated the composer listing there—along with many other credits—and it's in process with the IMDB machinery. Please let the IMDB editors get to it in the next few days so we don't double up on credit fixes.)

Thanks all!

Lukas

Well that's a shame. I donated money for a new Ron Jones album. Creative differences? It's Ron Jones. Smile and say thank you. Bummer. 

• 8 months later...
1 minute ago, woj said:

Did anyone receive their soundtrack CD yet? I was so excited to be getting a new Ron Jones album, then that fell through and I forgot all about it. It's one of two Indiegogo disappointments that I never received. 

No, that still has to be produced, and I have faith that Lukas will do it. I too was excited for a new Ron Jones album and was disappointed he was replaced on the project. The final score isn't bad but I don't care as much about having a soundtrack album for it. That said, Lukas has said he's going to make sure the soundtrack release also includes a HQ copy of the film itself, now, to make up for the switch.

Yavar

• 2 years later...