Is this movie worth my time?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm not the person to ask on that one, as I tend to hate everything Woody Allen.

Oh, I've seen Blue Jasmine and it was more a recommendation for Bolle, even though he doesn't tend to watch Canvas movies. 

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I love Blue Jasmine. It's the only 21st Century Woody Allen film which I love ...

I think I agree. It's certainly his best since a very long time. 

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Anyone seen USS Indianapolis, with Nicholas Cage?

I tried watching it, but had to jump ship (no pun intended) after the first 15 minutes or so. Bloated affair. 

I would give a few of the Coen brothers' other films, namely Fargo and No Country, a watch before viewing Buster Scruggs.

I could see how it might be offputting to the uninitiated.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I didn't watch it.

Any thoughts on:

Score (Documentary)

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

?

SCORE is well worth watching, even if there's nothing new for us hardcore film music fans. It's mostly for the uninitiated. And as much of a Williams fan I am, it spends too much time on him from about midway (even if they have no new interview bits). It has a very American slant.

SCRUGGS, I haven't watched. As with Woody Allen, I'm not a big Coen bros. fan. But I will in due time, as it's readily available on Netflix. My colleagues have been lukewarm at best.

17 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

It's five different short movies of which one is pretty great (which one depends on the viewer's taste & personality). Very easy to watch. You have nothing to lose.

Cate Blanchett, you will never find an actress less likely to bond or find chemistry with another actor. 

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I recommend you every film they made except Miller's Crossing. That is their only bad movie and not Ladykillers.

Rotten Tomatoes: Miller's Crossing: 91%

Rotten Tomatoes: The Ladykillers: 55%

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I recommend you every film they made except Miller's Crossing. That is their only bad movie and not Ladykillers.

That's interesting. MILLER'S CROSSING is probably my favourite Coen, to the extent I have a Coen favourite in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's interesting. MILLER'S CROSSING is probably my favourite Coen, to the extent I have a Coen favourite in the first place.

The Coen Brothers are geniuses, but Miller's Crossing is a skeleton without flesh and blood. I have seen all their movies and that is the only one that is not at least "quite good". The fact that it is so recognized merely fuels my justified dislike. Maybe you like it the most, because it has the least Coen Brother characteristics.

Score was interesting, if a bit long. It didn't have much information you couldn't glean from boards like JWFan, but it was cool to see so many of the composers whose work I listen to.

Buster Scruggs was like a collection of the sort of classic short stories I read in middle school. I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone, especially if you're not big on the Coens, but I loved it. Great acting and characterizations throughout. Beautiful western scenery too.

Coen brothers are most definitely not for everyone. Like Wes Anderson their weirdness is off putting to some folks.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Anyone seen USS Indianapolis, with Nicholas Cage?

As you have been made AWARE it hasn't  the best reviews however don't let that deter you. 

The films subject matter may be what interest you. Give it a shot and you can worry later about reviews.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Coen brothers are most definitely not for everyone. Like Wes Anderson their weirdness is off putting to some folks.

As you have been made AWARE it hasn't  the best reviews however don't let that deter you. 

The films subject matter may be what interest you. Give it a shot and you can worry later about reviews.

Thank you, Joe. 

2 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Bill Murray just needs to accept that he isn't going to be remembered for being in some weird pretentious Wes Anderson movie. He'll be remembered as a Ghostbuster.

He's the Star Wars nothing but Star Wars guy.

I'm considering to watch Air Force One tonight, but there's something really weird going on with the files I'm downloading and the information I can find online. IMDB and Wikipedia claim the running time is 126 minutes, but the official subtitles I downloaded are only 107 and the movie file itself 93 minutes. Does this movie have multiple cuts or huge end credits?

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm considering to watch Air Force One tonight, but there's something really weird going on with the files I'm downloading and the information I can find online. IMDB and Wikipedia claim the running time is 126 minutes, but the official subtitles I downloaded are only 107 and the movie file itself 93 minutes. Does this movie have multiple cuts or huge end credits?

Just try a different torrent.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I absolutely love AIR FORCE ONE. Leave it to a German to create a totally over-the-top, but tongue-in-cheek-patriotic film like this. You can't take it at face value. And Gary Oldman is always delightful to watch, whether he's restrained or totally off the rockers, like here.

I don't know anything about different versions, however.

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

I absolutely love AIR FORCE ONE. Leave it to a German to create a totally over-the-top, but tongue-in-cheek-patriotic film like this. You can't take it at face value. And Gary Oldman is always delightful to watch, whether he's restrained or totally off the rockers, like here.

People absolutely took it seriously in 1997 though. Like some people took Starship Troopers seriously.

The Great Escape

Haven't seen it, definitely heard of it. I don't doubt it's good, it's another classic. I am very familiar with Bernstein's score. Any thoughts though?