Is this movie worth my time?

Why does every think I need explosions to like a film. It gets old that people here acting as if my film tastes are low rent. I will gladly put my favorite films against anyone's choices without hesitation. Same with my taste is scores.

Arrival is a slow ugly looking film with little payoff. It would be better if their are no explosions. I like CE3K far more and it had less explosions, I like E.T. and it has less explosions. Both films are both better told far better looking and the level of direction is so superior that ther is little comparrison. 

Btw I too like the Charlie Sheen/Arrival. Always freaked out by the scorpions

It was just a joke. You and I depart quite a bit in taste, since I also like films that aren't necessarily driven by narrative and conventions. I love 'slow cinema' in all forms and shapes, be it Tarkovsky, Tarr, Malick or Villeneuve. I like how Villeneuve's ARRIVAL is less about traditional storytelling (although it's pretty straightforward) and more about ideas and feelings; more of a circular movement than a traditional, horizonal one.

But at least we agree on the Sheen ARRIVAL, which is a different beast altogether. Great score by Arthur Kempel too, who died way too young.

I apologize in that I used my reply to your post to  vent as you were not the first today to use the explosion comment towards me.

I do admit I am often not a fan of non-linear story telling. I find it is often overused or worse inappropriately used. Im looking at you Michael Clayton. 

I applaud  your differences but Vill. and Malick are not "Joe" directors.

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You mean, because Deckard is thirty years older, it proves he's a replicant? 

Anyway, you don't need to be worried that BR: 2049 is answering this question (if it is still a question after BR: 2019?). Before he even made the movie, Villeneuve said he didn't want to change the ambiguity surrounding Deckard's origin, and as far as I know, he kept his promise. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Anyway, you don't need to be worried that BR: 2049 is answering this question (if it is still a question after BR: 2019?). Before he even made the movie, Villeneuve said he didn't want to change the ambiguity surrounding Deckard's origin, and as far as I know, he kept his promise. 

Well, in 2049 he's revealed to have

Spoiler

a daughter at the end. Can replicants....uhm, replicate? I guess if Rachael can bear a child, so can Deckard...were he a replicant. But still....

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, in 2049 he's revealed to have

Hide contents

Can replicants....uhm, replicate? 

Spoiler

They can if replicants are based on an accelerated cloning process whereby they don't genetically alter their means of reproduction.

1 minute ago, The Original said:
  Hide contents

That was a shocker. I mean I know Data created a "daughter" once, but replicants can breed the biological way? Eh?

Spoiler

Data is not a human clone but a machine.

Ha, ha...yes, The Original, I thought the same as you here. Guess I need to read up on replicant definitions....

It's actually the fault of the movie. At first they were supposed to be androids, like in the book, but it gradually changed into a form of cloning, like Synthetic Biology. 

Tyrell was supposed to be a robot (not a replicant) because the real Tyrell was lying in a cryonic chamber somewhere in his pyramid. Maybe it's here where Scott got the idea from that Deckard is a rep. Maybe that's why the Tyrell/cryosleep scene was scratched.

Tyrells_Cryo_Crypt2.jpg

10 minutes ago, The Original said:

So Decker impregnated a robot?

Remember, she was different, the first of her kind. Only, she was not ... There was another ...

This is where BR2049 gets so caught up in justifying its own mythology that it comes across as leaning a little too much towards fan-fiction.

The whole synthetic love angle with his gal being projected on the monster billboard late in the picture was the best thing about it. All the shit with the underground army bogged it down. Ford was great, though.

50 minutes ago, The Original said:

Why did he need a holographic woman? Couldn't he get a girlfriend?

People hate him. He's not even allowed to look them in the eye. He's just a slave.

• 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Is Strange Magic worth watching (for the score)?

Hadn't even heard of the film untill now, but looking it up -- sure, anything scored by Marius de Vries is worth watching for the music. He's one of the good guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Babe: Pig in the City earned a 4 star review from Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel ranked it as his top movie of 1998. It's apparently also one of Tom Waits' favorite movies. I never had any interest because they're talking pig movies for babies.

3 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Babe: Pig in the City earned a 4 star review from Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel ranked it as his top movie of 1998. It's apparently also one of Tom Waits' favorite movies. I never had any interest because they're talking pig movies for babies.

Yes, I had the same issue for a number of years. I have a major issue with live action animals being antropomorphized (which is why I can't stand stuff like HIS DARK MATERIALS, for example), even though I quite enjoyed stuff like LASSIE or SKIPPY or FLIPPER as a kid. But it's George friggin' Miller, so I eventually succumbed, and had to agree with the critics. His oft-mentioned 'dark' approach; the entire mise-en-scene, really, is absolutely brilliant. Should be watched for that alone. 

You know it's not real, right?

On 6/28/2019 at 12:20 AM, Thor said:

But at least we agree on the Sheen ARRIVAL, which is a different beast altogether. Great score by Arthur Kempel too, who died way too young.

I've gotta see this one. I just read Ebert's review, and he gave 3.5/4 stars. He also compared it to the first MI movie; The movie is as smart as “Mission: Impossible” is dumb:lol:

I remember I had one of those editions of that book "1000 movies you must see before you die" (or something like that), the one that has Indy on the cover. The first Babe movie were one of those 1000 movies, and I was like "What? A kid's movie with a talking pig is one of the 1000 movies I have to watch before I die?".