2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) vs. Interstellar (2014)

John

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) vs. Interstellar (2014)  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie do you prefer?

• 2001: A Space Odyssey (directed by Stanley Kubrick)
    • Interstellar (directed by Christopher Nolan)
  2. 2. Which movie has better/makes better use of music?

• 2001: A Space Odyssey (excerpts from classical music)
    • Interstellar (composed by Hans Zimmer)

15 hours ago, John said:

I recently rewatched The Dark Knight. [...] It doesn't have any glaring issues, but I feel it could've been better in lots of ways.

The term "perfecter" does not exist, for a reason.

Even though I really, really like it, its not a perfect movie. It has a glaring structural problem:

"Oh my god, there's more movie!"

- "Oh my god, there's more movie?!"

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The term "perfecter" does not exist, for a reason.

For starters, I feel every actor other than Ledger gave thoroughly bland performances. The characters themselves feel very cold and emotionally distant.

A lot of the dialogue is pretty bad as well, particularly the Joker's lines. In my opinion, Ledger's performance singlehandedly saved what was on paper a pretty bland portrayal of the character.

I also thought the climax with the death of Two-Face felt tacked-on, and his descent to madness felt rushed and incoherent.

I don't hate the film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it while watching it the first time, but it's nowhere close to being in consideration for best movie of all time, or the best blockbuster of all time, or whatever it is people claim it to be nowadays.

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I begrudge no one the art they respond to, but anyone who calls Dunkirk a genuine masterpiece.... well, they have very different ideas of aesthetic value from me.

Spitfires. 3 of them. 

That movie is like trying to grab hold of steam.  It evaporated from my mind as soon as it was over.  A dull exercise.  As if Nolan gave himself the challenge of making a war movie that was pictorially beautiful and completely unengaging in every other way.  Pretty pictures and that's it.

But Nolanites, please "don't @ me" as the kids say.  It's cool if you love it.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

That movie is like trying to grab hold of steam.  It evaporated from my mind as soon as it was over.  A dull exercise.  As if Nolan gave himself the challenge of making a war movie that was pictorially beautiful and completely unengaging in every other way.  Pretty pictures and that's it.

But Nolanites, please "don't @ me" as the kids say.  It's cool if you love it.

I agree with Disco Stu!

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, Brundlefly said:

Not necessarily THE greatest, but anyone who denies its stellar quality, does not have no clue about movies or is a hipster who hates it because it's so popular.

This may be the single most pretentious post I've read on JWFan.

That's a ridiculous stance to take. I consider myself a pretty big movie buff, and I don't think it's a stellar film. It's an above-average superhero movie, but little more than that.

I’ve seen much smarter critics than I make genuine arguments that it is visually and editorially nonsensical.  I just thought it was uninteresting.

Here’s a writer I used to enjoy, Jim Emerson on why the opening sequence is edited and staged in a confusing way

https://vimeo.com/28792404

13 minutes ago, John said:

It's an above-average superhero movie, but little more than that.

Is it even a superhero movie? If they didn't wear costumes, wouldn't the Joker be a normal but brilliant terrorist? The realism and the relevance hiding behind the fact that the characters are adapted from a comparatively simple comic, catapultes the film to a level which exceeds what most blockbusters are incapable to reach. The film is a reflection about the means and the limits of a constitutional state and whether/when it's appropriate to break the rules, which means for example to kill one person in order to save ten other persons. This is just one of several aspects which are covered on a high and complex level. I have to admit on first or second view the movie can be quite overstimulating, but after multiple views it was possible for me to process most of its potential. I'm not joking or anything.

It has issues like every other movie, but I'd say it's pretty exceptional as a film and obviously made an impression, a lasting one.  Yeah, it's tiresome when people try to over intellectualize Nolan but it's just as tiring when people feel like they need to do the opposite.  I wonder what new forum ruler Indianagirl thinks though.  I'll have whatever opinion she wants me to have.

Nolan just continues to be not my thing.  Interstellar and The Prestige are the only ones I’ve liked at all.

Shrug.  I got no problem with people loving his movies.  It’s nice to like things.

I like Inerstellar but it's no 2001 in any capacity. 

I like Christopher Nolan....but I don't love Christopher Nolan. I think his best film is Inception. I really liked Inception. I think Interstellar was miscast in a few places. Matt Damon showing up mid movie really threw me off. I also didn't love Anne Hathaway in this. Jessica Chastain however I thought was fantastic. 

18 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I didn't know Matt Damon is in Interstellar.

He's the guy that is the "best of us" and doesn't understand orbital mechanics, explosive decompression, the intensive psychological profiling and screening that all astronauts go through for a 15 minute flight let alone a potentially one way trip to another galaxy. He was that guy with that sociopathic episode given his isolation that all astronauts are extensively screened for.

4 hours ago, karelm said:

He's the guy that is the "best of us" and doesn't understand orbital mechanics, explosive decompression, the intensive psychological profiling and screening that all astronauts go through for a 15 minute flight let alone a potentially one way trip to another galaxy. He was that guy with that sociopathic episode given his isolation that all astronauts are extensively screened for.

Pardon my French, but he's an asshole! You hear me? An asshole!

On 01/06/2018 at 1:34 AM, Indianagirl said:

I think what threw me off is that half way through this adventure in space where there are no people....Matt Damon shows up. 

Ruined the film for me. Laughably bad scenes, and I am a fan of Damon. 

That part of the movie is the one things holding me back from a rewatch.

On 01/06/2018 at 8:55 AM, Stefancos said:

Yeah it doesn't work.

You should be used to Matt Damom being stranded on another planet by now.

martian.jpg

Karol

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Ruined the film for me. Laughably bad scenes, and I am a fan of Damon. 

I don't see the point of keeping Damon's role in the film a surprise anyway. It does work, because the moment you see David Mann all you think is "Matt Damon is in this film?"

I think that's part of the problem. It's an unexpected movie star cameo and it's totally immersion breaking. Should have cast an unknown in that part, more of an average joe believable astronaut type. That'd be an improvement. But really, I could have just done without that whole subplot. There had been decent focus and anxiety engrossing me in the drama till that point.

It's a pity that the lasting image I have of Interstellar is McConaughey and Damon rolling about like a couple of dicks on another planet. I thought it was just Captain Kirk who got into those sorts of shenanigans.

10 hours ago, karelm said:

The total sum of all human knowledge on the effects on an individual being isolated for an extended period in deep space: 0

And don’t talk to me about psychological screening. Ten years ago an astronaut was charged with attempted murder after driving across the US in a diaper to confront her victim.

24 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I think that's part of the problem. It's an unexpected movie star cameo and it's totally immersion breaking. Should have cast an unknown in that part, more of an average joe believable astronaut type. That'd be an improvement. But really, I could have just done without that whole subplot. There had been decent focus and anxiety engrossing me in the drama till that point.

It's a pity that the lasting image I have of Interstellar is McConaughey and Damon rolling about like a couple of dicks on another planet. I thought it was just Captain Kirk who got into those sorts of shenanigans.

Without that subplot we wouldn’t have the superb “No Time For Caution” scene. 

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

The total sum of all human knowledge on the effects on an individual being isolated for an extended period in deep space: 0

And don’t talk to me about psychological screening. Ten years ago an astronaut was charged with attempted murder after driving across the US in a diaper to confront her victim.

I can't talk to you about one criminal out of the 700 astronauts since 1959 being pretty damn good psychological screening? 

6 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Interstellar is one of the best movies of the last decade, Damon is well cast, and Dunkirk is brill.

I find both kind of empty. The former in particular I have no desire to revisit.

I'm not the biggest fan of 2001, but at least it got me thinking and I certainly was impressed with the vision enough to want to learn about its behind-the-scenes. Very interesting!

Even if you could agree that psychological screening is enough to ensure that nobody will ever go nuts - and I don't - the whole point of the character is to show someone pushed past some very extreme point into irrational hysteria despite how well balanced and trained he may have been.  Hardly seems like something worth complaining about, but ye gods if we haven't been over all this before!

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

At the cinema now. Nolans version of 2001 looks less sharp than the previous 70mm restoration. The colours slightly less popping. It comes from a 50 year old piece of celluloid.

I take it that that's a good thing?

It's touring the UK, at the moment. I'd see it, but, unless it's to my local bar to watch footie, I really don't like going out in the evening, any more.

It looks like a print of a splendid camera negative that should have been tweaked a bit. The white of the Discovery One isnt quite as white. ("Nolan pissed on Stanley's print"). The contrast seems a tad...off at times.

Still stunning to see on the big screen