Which one of David Arnold's three Emmerich scores do you prefer?

Which one of David Arnold's three Emmerich scores do you prefer?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of David Arnold's three Emmerich scores do you prefer?

• Stargate (1994)
    • Independence Day (1996)
    • Godzilla (1998)
  2. 2. Which main theme do you prefer?

• Stargate (1994)
    • Godzilla (1998)
  3. 3. Which movie do you hate the least?

• Stargate (1994)
    • Godzilla (1998)

Godzilla will always remain my favourite. It's more consistent than Stargate and not as all over the place and obnoxious as Independence Day.

And I prefer his Bond scores to all three above.

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

Godzilla will always remain my favourite. It's more consistent than Stargate and not as all over the place and obnoxious as Independence Day.

And I prefer his Bond scores to all three above.

Karol

Which of the Emmerich scores do you think has the best main theme?

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which of the Emmerich scores do you think has the best main theme?

Well, Independence Day. As ridiculously over the top it is...

Karol

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I guess I can recognize that ID4 is his "magnum opus" but Tomorrow Never Dies is easily my most listened to Arnold score.

Yeah, but that OST is so disappointing!

There's a very popular online fan edit of TND that I've listened to for years now.

But of course I'd greatly prefer a professional specialty label expansion..... get on it LLL!  We want all the Arnold scores!

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I guess I can recognize that ID4 is his "magnum opus" but Tomorrow Never Dies is easily my most listened to Arnold score.

Ditto!

I only like ID4 movie and score.

Stargate had decent-ish music I vaguely recall, but the movie was crap. Godzilla is just another forgotten blockbuster faux pas.

All three are brilliant scores. I also really like the films. But I chose STARGATE for film score, and ID4 for theme.

But "Evacuation" from GODZILLA probably beats them all as a singular cue.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

All three are brilliant scores. I also really like the films. But I chose STARGATE for film score, and ID4 for theme.

The first half of the Stargate OST is good, but on the whole I think it overstays its welcome. Not to mention the extended album...

I have no idea about any extended albums of anything (although I did own the GODZILLA 2CD at one point, before I sold it to re-acquire the promo); I'm only talking about the OSTs and also how they worked in the movie. I think STARGATE is a wonderful 'tone poem' where I was first introduced to Arnold's "middle-eastern"/Egyptian-like stylings.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have no idea about any extended albums of anything (although I did own the GODZILLA 2CD at one point, before I sold it to re-acquire the promo); I'm only talking about the OSTs and also how they worked in the movie. I think STARGATE is a wonderful 'tone poem' where I was first introduced to Arnold's "middle-eastern"/Egyptian-like stylings.

C'mon, we all know you have a hidden room in your house with every conceivable expanded or complete score release... ;)

Stargate for me, for the elegance of the music and particularly its orchestration.

In the commentary track on the blu ray, Emmerich and Davis praise the music maybe 5 times during the movie and say they discovered it at Air Studios during the recording.

22 minutes ago, Mathieu said:

Stargate for me, for the elegance of the music and particularly its orchestration.

In the commentary track on the blu ray, Emmerich and Davis praise the music maybe 5 times during the movie and say they discovered it at Air Studios during the recording.

It's been a while since I've heard that commentary, but in all the Emmerich commentaries I've heard (including Stargate, ID4, The Patriot, The Day After Tomorrow and Independence Day Resurgence), I'd never heard him even acknowledge the music (Devlin always praised Arnold and Williams) until he casually praised Harald Kloser in the IDR commentary at the exact moment a reprise of Arnold's theme shows up.

I don't mind Kloser's AVP, and 10,000BC has its moments. The latter was when I began to notice some weird visual defects in Emmerich's movies where actors were obviously in phony sets and exteriors looked like they were in soundstages, judging by faint green screen outlines around the actors. That cheap look persisted in White House Down and IDR.

Score: Independent Day, one of my all time favorites.

Main theme: Stargate 

Film: Independence Day, pretty awesome entertaining stuff. I also like Stargate. 

It's a real shame that Arnold / Emmerich's partnership ended on such a "sour note". I would love have to seen it continue, alas some things are not meant to be. 

14 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

It's sort of okay but I mark it as the beginning of his downward slope.

10,000 BC and 2012 were AWFUL.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hasn't he been in that slope since after ID?

Yes.  (sort of, I dislike Godzilla but like Patriot and DAT for what they are)