John Williams Autograph

John Tenuto

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Never had any particular interest in autographs, but I DO have one for John Williams. It was given to me about 12 years ago, from an autograph collector here in Norway. I still haven't put it in a fitting frame!

Just get a cheap passepartout at Clas Ohlson and it'll look fine.

8 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

I'd just started working in a small classical CD boutique in Toronto in summer 1993, when Williams walked in alone. He asked for the Vaughan Williams section (lol), specifically wanting a good version of The Lark Ascending. I'm not sure what he wanted to do with it, review some of the elder's composing technique or demonstrate some idea to someone on his team. He said he was in town scoping out the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir for possible work on a score he was doing with Spielberg. Someone out there might be able to confirm some of the chronology concerning the score work for Schindler's. It seems late for him to still be considering who would record the choral segments, but there you go. Obviously with the VW CD he had writing for solo violin and orchestra top of mind.

My encounter with Williams wasn't at a concert but during the day, just the two of us in the store, him dressed *almost* casually, chatting while he wasn't in a rush. Getting to let him know how much I'd paid attention to his work and how CE3K was my all time fav was of course rewarding, memorable, etc. Little did I know this was the big year it would be for him. We had a small number of JW titles on hand including JP, but I chose something from the delete rack for him to sign - cheeky of me. I explained how my dad and I had shared listening to Pops on the March and watched many of the concert broadcasts, so it seemed appropriate. It also saved another piece of cutout stock, and how.

IMG_9771.JPG

Williams did worked on Schindler's List during the summer, and the choral passages were indeed recorded in Canada, so it fits the chronology.

He didn't end up using the Toronto choir, but doubtless there were connections here to the singers he did use, and fewer hurdles around immigration and unions to bring in musicians from Israel or wherever, not to mention cheaper recording rates and tax breaks for the production.

As an aside; where I used to live, there was an autograph shop, selling...well guess.

I once saw a framed picture and the autograph of Stephen Spielberg. It was taken down, within two days, and the shop was closed by the end of the week :lol: 

On 01/06/2018 at 1:09 PM, The Five Tones said:

He didn't end up using the Toronto choir, but doubtless there were connections here to the singers he did use, and fewer hurdles around immigration and unions to bring in musicians from Israel or wherever, not to mention cheaper recording rates and tax breaks for the production.

Choir recordings was done in Canada. The Israel choir used is from the previously recorded material included on the soundtrack album.

JOHN WILLIAMS, SCHINDLER’S LIST

williams.jpg

Deb Fleming & John Williams

Debbie was asked to help co-ordinate fifty singers from the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir to provide vocals for the soundtrack of this blockbuster movie. Recorded with famed John Williams at the newly opened Glen Gould Studio at CBC, circumstances were less than perfect for the singers. Mr. Williams had brought a tape of the orchestral tracks with him, but because the studio at that time owned only 4 sets of headphones, it was necessary for most of the singers to sing a cappella to William’s conducting, while four section leads had the luxury of using the phones. Although John Williams was clearly distressed by these difficult circumstances, the resulting track was breathtakingly beautiful. Disappointingly, The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir never was given acknowlegement for their performance in this movie, as the credits had already been finalized before Williams recorded in Toronto.

http://debbiefleming.ca/about-deb/deb-the-contractor/

4 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Choir recordings was done in Canada. The Israel choir used is from the previously recorded material included on the soundtrack album.

http://debbiefleming.ca/about-deb/deb-the-contractor/

Can we decipher which cue was performed with them? since there a few on the album. Thanks.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:59 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

On 6/2/2018 at 6:19 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

Immolation Scene. If memory serves, the rest of the choir music is pre-recorded music, not composed nor conducted by Williams.

That is wonderful Miguel, thanks for clearing all that up for me (us)! I had heard people say the TMC was in the film and doubted it, but never knew the whole story. The funny thing for me is that I once interviewed that singer/contractor Debbie Fleming on my old radio show in the 90s. She may have told me the story off air and I forgot it or misunderstood the anecdote. Looking at the date of the photo (93 '10) it's possible or even likely my encounter with Williams was actually in October not the summer. His signature is about the only memory I can rely on!

Has been quite rewarding getting JW's autograph but can be frustrating travelling around the globe to

different cities like the U.S.A attending his concerts with the chance of....! Expensive hobby!

• 4 years later...

That's very cool! I would love to get an album autographed but I figured the only chance of that would be after a concert. I'm too scared to travel with my album covers when the chances of getting them signed are very low.

31 minutes ago, Trillseeker said:

I was disappointed by failed attempts over the course of 2+ years and was astounded when I eventually got it.

How *did* you get it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2023 at 1:13 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

How *did* you get it?

Combination of connections made through failed attempts (email & mail) and reaching out indirectly during a performance date. Not sure, but I think the information I provided about the intended recipient (summarized in my original post) helped a great deal. The personalized autograph tells me that he had read it.

On 31/05/2018 at 10:39 AM, Thor said:

Never had any particular interest in autographs, but I DO have one for John Williams. It was given to me about 12 years ago, from an autograph collector here in Norway. I still haven't put it in a fitting frame!

IMG_0413.JPG

I didn't tell the full story here, which I think would be suitable now that the thread has been ressurected. In 2005-2006, I was in a television show here in Norway. One of the other members of said television show was an autograph hunter. One day, we had an 'assignment' in a small Norwegian town, and said autograph hunter said he had a colleague there who wanted to give me something. He worked in a grocery store. We went to the grocery store, and after the obligatory greetings, said clerk handed me the picture of a signed Williams photo. I asked if I should pay something, but he said no. We were huge at the time (but completely forgotten now), and that probably explains why he was so willing, but I'm guessing he regrets it now. Either way, that's how it ended up with me, despite me not being an autograph hound of any kind. I'm sure there are easier ways.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

I didn't tell the full story here, which I think would be suitable now that the thread has been ressurected. In 2005-2006, I was in a television show here in Norway. One of the other members of said television show was an autograph hunter. One day, we had an 'assignment' in a small Norwegian town, and said autograph hunter said he had a colleague there who wanted to give me something. He worked in a grocery store. We went to the grocery store, and after the obligatory greetings, said clerk handed me the picture of a signed Williams photo. I asked if I should pay something, but he said no. We were huge at the time (but completely forgotten now), but I'm guessing he regrets it now. Either way, that's how it ended up with me, despite me not being an autograph hound of any kind. I'm sure there are easier ways.

Are you sure he didn't just want to show it to you? ;)

On 09/06/2018 at 2:09 PM, theMaestraX said:

Has been quite rewarding getting JW's autograph but can be frustrating travelling around the globe to

different cities like the U.S.A attending his concerts with the chance of....! Expensive hobby!

Well, you know, you can also attend the concert to make the trip worthwhile. 

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, LeHah said:

This took more doing than I care to admit. It took 4 or 5 months to come back, but landed August 11, 2022.

IMG_4945.jpeg

Congrats! I thought he'd stopped signing through the mail.