Star Wars Disenchantment

John

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Haven't you heard? Kathy has an extremist left-wing, feminist, fascist, anti-male agenda. In IX, Kylo will be depicted as sexually submissive in a controversial scene where Rey punishes him with a lightsaber whip, wearing Padme's leather-clad fireplace outfit from AOTC.

That sounds like the Rey we need.  

2 hours ago, publicist said:

You mean countless points that have been brought up countless times before, regurgitated since last December ad nauseaum, their re-appearance now only an outlet for idiotic chest-beating at the sight of 'Solo' underperforming at the box office (finally a just punishment to that filthy wench Kennedy!). All of this is intellectually toxic and wholly embarrassing, to say the least.

What about the part where Kasey and I are horny?  How does that rank as far as intellectually toxic and embarrassing?

So finally got caught up on this thread.  Wasn't it supposed to be about that new Han Solo movie?

Should I break out the sequel trilogy debate to its own thread or leave it?  Hmm.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

So finally got caught up on this thread.  Wasn't it supposed to be about that new Han Solo movie?

Should I break out the sequel trilogy debate to its own thread or leave it?  Hmm.

Banning all discussion on the merits of the PT and ST might actually be a good idea. Nothing like seeing the same debate over and over again 🙄

@Quintus I should clarify that a character can be well performed and still be un-interesting; furthermore, a character can be interesting, but be faced with a story that doesn't challenge the character and therefore fails to maintain the audience's interest.

That's why the narrative is more important than the performances or even the characters themselves.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I thought we were avoiding talking about Solo because we didn't want to remind TGP and kaseykockroach about their sex life. :(

I don't have one!

12 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I doubt I'll ever find a girl who'd find me desirable company, but I found someone perfect for Mattris!

IMAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR. Please keep things civil and refrain from personal insults.

Have a nice day.

Now I'm curious as to what this might've been...

3 minutes ago, John said:

Now I'm curious as to what this might've been...

An ad about a girl desiring tiny wieners IIRC.

On 31/05/2018 at 5:50 AM, Indianagirl said:

Awwe, Is the Big Strong Man telling me what to do? For He has spoken and expects this little girl to properly adhere to His word? Yes, Sir! Daddy says jump!:sarcasm:

Kitten,

I really have no interest in responding to the entirity of your post. But let me tell you why.... 

You just reduced a slave labor force made up of children to a common SJW. Do you have even a clue of how reprehensible this is? You've essentially said we can't show child slavery in Star Wars because it might offend someone who supports child slavery. This is the heart of your argument and shows you to be morally bankrupt. I promise you this is the only thing you've said all night that I'm going to remember. Any argument you might have made regarding Star Wars and SJW's is definitely null and void now. You've revealed yourself to be a person who will say anything, no matter how despicable, just to press an agenda. 

Oh and by the way I hope you know you can't ever watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom again and hold a shred of intellectual honesty.

We're done here.

Again with the personal, demeaning, anti-male sentiment. :sarcasm:  What is "reprehensible" is calling me "morally bankrupt". I'm not "done here".

In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, freeing the slave children and returning them to their parents was the central plot line. On the other hand, it's not confirmed in TLJ that the children were a "slave labor force". As I suggested previously, it's possible that they were stable children at work or part of a training camp.

My issue with the Canto Bight scenes is that they were written to be SJW. After having an awkward introduction, Finn and Rose were sent on a mission to draw attention to the injustices of (possible) child slavery and animal cruelty (horse racing) on a well-to-do planet of apathetic inhabitants and gambling vacationers. This whole 'getaway' was ham-fisted into the film and was a disappointing experience for people expecting a tasteful, exciting side-plot which could have showcased admiral qualities like perseverance and teamwork. What we got was the Rose Show with poor Finn in tow. Finn, a former Stormtrooper who's back was just sliced by a lightsaber, was reduced to comical relief and Rose's wingman. It was the TLJ's writers and producers who were pressing an agenda - not me.

The Canto Bight scenes and the Rose Tico character are an embarrassment to the Star Wars brand and to the fans who want to support it. I'll wonder if Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson will say that there failed SJW in SW experiment was "worth it" when they are eventually fired by Disney.

My other arguments against these recent Star Wars films are not "null and void" just because you say so. Care to address any of them?

I plan on seeing it again this weekend for sure! I actually think there's a possiblity Solo doesn't have a big drop off during the second weekend. I admit I could disasterously wrong but if I'm right that could change the narrative a bit. Because it didn't have a disasterously bad weekend. It just underperformed. It's going to at least break even. They're not going to lose money.

1 hour ago, Indianagirl said:

He was defeated the moment he tried to morally justify child slavery. He's not worth engaging with because he's shown he will say anything in order to push forward his agenda no matter how morally disgusting it may be. All because he clearly doesn't like Kathy Kennedy. He's not like Chen who had honest disagreements. There's no level to which he won't sink.  I don't care to address any of his points further. He's revealed himself fully. 

It's you that are sinking to the lowest levels to appear morally superior. I'll address your points once more. And then I'm done, as well.

For starters, get off your high horse. I did not try to "morally justify child slavery". It's reprehensible to suggest such a thing, and I think you are choosing to appear offended to give yourself an out of the debate. You are free to refrain from responding to my critiques of these crappily-written movies, but I'm going to take it that you cannot - or are too lazy to - dispute them.

What's my morally disgusting agenda, again?

Does anyone really think that Kathleen Kennedy had any significant part in crafting Steven Spielberg's films? She was in co-in-charge their budgets/expenditures. As President of Lucasfilm, her behavior and treatment of the Star Wars franchise is absolutely disgusting. You all may not realize (or want to admit) her failures, but there will be significant repercussions. With a 36% drop-off in TJL ticket sales (compared to TFA), Solo bombing, and shockingly low merchandise sales, I see they've already begun.

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

To make up for the couple people like Mattress, I'm going to go see Solo five more times. 

And when it comes out I'll see Episode 9 in theaters ten times. 

That'll show me!

After reading a lot of the responses here, I was turned off by the movie, but I'm thinking I might see it this weekend. I'm hoping for a fun movie with a strong heart, like every other Lawrence Kasdan scripted film I've seen!

15 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

After reading a lot of the responses here, I was turned off by the movie, but I'm thinking I might see it this weekend. I'm hoping for a fun movie with a strong heart, like every other Lawrence Kasdan scripted film I've seen!

You'll like it if that's what you expect. 

@Mattris please refrain from seeing any more Star Wars movies from here on out. You seem to have a strong dislike, and if you continue to see them with the intent of slamming them, your motives are confusing. 

To everyone else, enjoy and keep watching!

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey, some of us didn't like Solo very much for purely storytelling and character reasons!  Namely me!  A person who loves TLJ!

Not looking to debate about it though.

I would be curious to read your criticism in perspective once I see the movie, though. 

9 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

@Mattris please refrain from seeing any more Star Wars movies from here on out. You seem to have a strong dislike, and if you continue to see them with the intent of slamming them, your motives are confusing.

Apart from the scores John Williams composed for them, this is a dark time for Star Wars films. Kathleen Kennedy's misguided agenda and leadership issues have resulted in lackluster Star Wars films and a divided fan-base. Her firing would be reason to celebrate. If it doesn't happen soon, it likely won't happen until 2020. Thankfully, patience is a virtue.

This marks my last post in this conversation. Anyone desiring to discuss further can visit the SWD.

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey, some of us didn't like Solo very much for purely storytelling and character reasons!  Namely me!  A person who loves TLJ!

You're not required to like everything. However, I don't see you out actively drumming up an internet campaign to get certain people fired.