Star Wars Disenchantment

John

On 9/8/2018 at 9:08 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

God's got nothing to do with it!

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Religion is the root of as much bad as good, if not worse.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Christ ain't got nothing to do with it.

I bet you're a hit over at r/atheism. 

14 hours ago, Mattris said:

Hi Jerry. I'd like to have another crack at responding to your post.

Already I can respect this reply much more than one's past.

I think you've 'stopped trying' because you cannot dispute the film's extensive list of issues. Nor can you deny the film's deliberate - and quite obvious - attempts to subvert fans' expectations at practically every turn.

This discussion may amount to something: That you and others will realize that TLJ was not trying to be the best film/sequel/Star Wars movie possible; it was a selfish production from Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson to turn the franchise on its head.

I do not "refuse to hear the other side." The fact that a dozen people are passionately defending the film - in response to my posts - tells me that "this supposed drastic turn in the Star Wars saga is such an instilling, life-affecting, deeply rooted issue for you".

No matter how it turns out, this fictional film series will always be special to me, as well. I love it so much that it sickens me to see it trashed... and that so many people (fans) have accepted/praised these sad attempts at Star Wars films. A significant portion of the fanbase realizes that they are really just agenda-driven 'Star Wars substitute'. (Case in point: the utter failure of Solo at the box office on the heels of the backlash from TLJ.)

I watched The Last Jedi once in December. I know it so well from consuming dozens of comments, articles, and videos. I hate the film with a passion. I think it's you (and other here) who "simply refuse to turn back on your former points" and seem to be "concerned about it as much as" me. Missing the mark of cinematic fandom? What I've done is call out crap when I see it. But I will admit that while Star Wars is important in the world of entertainment - as well as pop-cultural, it is not "what's really important in life in general."

Good evening to you, as well, but I will reply in the manner I see fit.

I've stopped trying because I do not care to dispute the film's issues. I never deny that the film takes unexpected twists, nor do I acknowledge it in such a manner.

This discussion may amount to something, but it's about a fictional film franchise so even it does amount to something that something amounts to nothing in the real world.

I passionately like the film, and I share that with others. It only comes across as a defense because of those who oppose it.

I love this film series so much it sickens me to see it bashed by other people. I highly suggest you give Solo a shot, all things aside, because it was a very enjoyable film with an easy going feel and light expectations-it didn't need to be anything more than it was. If you don't want to view the progression of the franchise for anything but to strike with a hot skewer, I suggest you remain true to the original trilogy and dwell on it- if you do not like something, why doth thou dwell amongst it. Return to what you know you will always love if you must, but think carefully about your decision.

The utter failure of Solo was at the box office, not on the screen. It was a great film.

I've watched the Last Jedi five times and consumed countless reviews, critical analyses, -ahem- your posts, many videos, an entire documentary, taken part in myriads of discussions, and heard a multitude of opinions on it and you still know the movie better than me. Hmmm.

I refuse to decide to hate what I know I love. I am concerned about it as much as you, but not the same way as you. I will reiterate, if you have indeed called out crap when you see it you dwelling upon it is, to stick with the imagery, surrounding yourself in crap.

Star Wars is not necessary to life, yes, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Fun. That's all it is. It's one of the few movies I'll go to theatres to see. It hasn't failed me yet, but I will call you when it does (if ever one day).

Good morning to you.

True. It's specifically how he was portrayed  and the circumstance of his death  that fans take issue with. 

But who was he saying said that? It's my opinion that Jedi were not embodiment of the Light. They were simply a long-standing group who opposed the Dark. And their self-righteousness, over-confidence, and ignorance eventually resulted in their downfall.

Fair. I take no issue with it, but fair enough.

To correct, the Jedi were the galactic symbol of the light- the universe recognized them as beacons or embodiments of hope and light. In opposing the Dark are not they of the light? And while being of the light, they themselves had great power, yes, but still were regular folk susceptible to the whiles of evil.

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

All the feminists think I'm the type who should hate TLJ, but I like it. So take that, feminazis!

You just love to go against the grain.

It's selfishly subjective on my part. Monster/horror movie music is just inherently more to my interest. Heck, the first half dozen soundtracks I ever bought were all horror scores. It's my thing, man.

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It's selfishly subjective on my part. Monster/horror movie music is just inherently more to my interest. Heck, the first half dozen soundtracks I ever bought were all horror scores. It's my thing, man.

Then you'll LOVE this. It's the best I tell you...the best!

The continuing debate in this thread gives me no choice. As Luke Skywalker's instincts compelled him to murder his nephew, my instincts lead me to murder...the dance floor! 

@Mattris What films beyond the Star Wars films are you a fan of? What are your favorites?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Demodex said:

Why laugh at me? Do you like that Kathleen Kennedy's contract has been extended? Tell me how you think this is good for the Star Wars brand and the millions fans who want to support it - but absolutely despise its current trajectory.

Let's be real. Kathleen Kennedy's contract was extended because she is powerful woman in Hollywood. Any man with her track record* would have been fired.

* Rebooted Star Wars with a re-hash of the original film - with a far less relateable lead... without interaction between the original 'big three'.

* Fired/replaced multiple directors - some deep into the production of their films.

* Not many wanted Solo, and it bombed badly, primarily due to her third film...

* ... which was an utter disgrace to the Star Wars Universe that deeply divided the fandom.

* Company profits are down: After a ~$4 billion investment by Disney, Lucasfilm is still ~$2.6 billion in the red.

* Merchandise sales are down... considerably.

* Kathleen Kennedy lied to George Lucas's face ("we will honor the characters in the way you created them") and smiled as she was handed the keys to the castle... and proceeded to ruin established, iconic characters... only to give us shallow new ones with on-the-nose SJW/identity politics throughout the films.

* When fans complained or expressed concern about the direction of the franchise, Kennedy allowed prominent Lucasfilm employees to fling insult after insult on Twitter and other forms of media.

* She has been hiding in embarrassment/carelessness for months... and didn't even bother to issue a statement when her contact was renewed.

Kathleen Kennedy is a failure as President of Lucasfilm. To anyone who thinks I represent a 'vocal minority', look at the comments sections of the countless Youtube videos that reacted to this news, as well as these top Hollywood news sites:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/kathleen-kennedy-lucasfilm-deal-2021-1202961551/#article-comments

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-chief-kathleen-kennedys-lucasfilm-deal-extended-three-years-1147653

Men... or traditional Star Wars fans who wanted intriguing new characters and stories that built on - and honored - those that came before them?

Don't think for a second that most women fans like or appreciate what Kennedy has done: poorly-written female characters were featured - but at the expense of the male characters, who in The Last Jedi, were portrayed as subordinate, mistake-prone, back-stabbing, failure-ridden, or psychotic.

Kathleen Kennedy should have stepped down in disgrace. A leader? A hero? Some would say she is a villain... not because 'she's a woman', but due to the fact that her company is on a downward spiral, primarily due to her lack of vision and respect for the majority of the fans, who are now distraught because this beloved franchise is falling apart.