Star Wars Disenchantment

John

To interact with that field is a semi random thing thousands of billions of beings across the galaxy are born with. I don't see a "believable" way where two people will just... stop that for eternity.

One of the few things that The Last Jedi leaves for IX to expand upon is that Rey is in possession of the Jedi books. Let her study those, come across the secret to making this catacylsm happen, and have her be internally conflicted about bringing it about for the reminder of the film.

Seems like a neat premise to me. It seems poetic that true balance can only ever be achieved by withdrawing The Force as a presence alltogether. Its kind of like how destroying the Ring is the only way to destroy evil, but leads to the decay of the Elven realms, the depature of the Wizards, etcetra. The world of the films is destroyed, and a new, better but more mundane world emerges from its ashes. Its what all mythologies need: that point where legend stops and history (of sorts) begins.

But again, unlike @Mattris' cooky Palpatine theory, I'm not married to the idea. Just give me a decent ENDING, for crying out loud.

OK, then: how would the stakes be suddenly raised so high in a single film that this could even be considered an option, let alone be done? Maybe if there was all-out war with a little bit more than... 2 known Forcewielders, say thousands, armies' worth. LotR sets up the End of All Things well and the Ring was always pure evil anyways.

46 minutes ago, Holko said:

OK, then: how would the stakes be suddenly raised so high in a single film that this could even be considered an option, let alone be done?

Or maybe just the realisation that this buisness of good Force users fighting bad Force users has been going on for nine bloody films, and its time for a slightly more effective solution than "defeat/redeem the evil-dude-in-the-cape-and-his-henchmen".

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What's the difference?

Balanced XLR connections can eliminate noise or interference that regular unbalanced RCA connections can be vulnerable to. They're also ideal for long distances like metres away (signals over RCA degrade if interconnects are too long). But if you're using RCA and you don't hear any interference, XLR isn't necessary.

6 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The force awakened in Rey in the most deus ex machina way possible because she's a Mary Sue character designed to make Star Wars appeal to the new millennial generation of women who feel entitled to get everything without working for it, and millennial men who cheer them for it, and to shield the Star Wars brand from the inevitable barrage of SJW idiots that go along with major movies these days.

The amount of ghost writing and fan fiction and overthinking in trying to explain this within the plot is hilarious. Individuals here spend more time on the actual plot of these glorified PR machines than Disney itself.

There should be no connection between the way Rey received the power of the force with today's generation of issues.

Let's just keep it that way. 

Right, there shouldn't be. But there is.

I mean, I don't feel as strongly on the matter as @gkgyver, and unlike @Mattris I think that, if any damage has been done by this choice, its best to accept it. Getting caught up in explaining it is bound to only make it worse.

At this stage, I'm willing to accept Johnson's half-a$sed: "I told my apprentice that as he got stronger, his equal in the light would rise."

26 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The force awakened in Rey in the most deus ex machina way possible because she's a Mary Sue character designed to make Star Wars appeal to the new millennial generation of women who feel entitled to get everything without working for it, and millennial men who cheer them for it

Ageist much? :D

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Does Gyver realize Luke is more a Mary Sue.

He was never quite so instantly powerful, and was much more foolhardy.

Again, not an issue I mind awfully, but its there.

The prequels had the only good character arcs. Lucas subverted expectations. The hero never even completes his training and becomes a villain, the heroine dies, many of the other supporting heroic characters die or lose in the end while the seemingly well-intentioned politician becomes an evil dictator.

47 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Right, there shouldn't be. But there is.

I mean, I don't feel as strongly on the matter as @gkgyver, and unlike @Mattris I think that, if any damage has been done by this choice, its best to accept it. Getting caught up in explaining it is bound to only make it worse.

At this stage, I'm willing to accept Johnson's half-a$sed: "I told my apprentice that as he got stronger, his equal in the light would rise."

It's not best to accept it. I didn't watch TFA in theatres. I didn't watch TLJ in theatres. And I won't watch this in theatres.

A movie experience should not be a constant fight between the movie trying to teach you a message at the expense of enjoyment, and you trying to ignore it the best you can.

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Still wondering what is a Mary Sue? :D

You can try to google it before showcasing your ignorance publically.

4 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

It's not best to accept it

I like liking movies.

If it means temporarily accepting a handful of contrivances or empathize with a social or ideological point-of-view other than my own, so be it.

14 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

The prequels had the only good character arcs. Lucas subverted expectations. The hero never even completes his training and becomes a villain, the heroine dies, many of the other supporting heroic characters die or lose in the end while the seemingly well-intentioned politician becomes an evil dictator.

I have a feeling that the latter arc is in fact Trump's.

12 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Lucas subverted expectations. The hero never even completes his training and becomes a villain

Its a stock tragic-hero character arc.

2 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

He's emotionally unstable and wants to protect his loved ones and defend the Republic while the Jedi and Palpatine both seem to be manipulating him for their own purposes.

Of the various motivations of Anakin's to help overthrow the Jedi, by far the most compelling is his father-son dynamic with Palpatine.

I don't think George Lucas would have considered the prequels' Jedi as manipulative. At the end of the day - within the prequel trilogy - they were right not to trust Anakin, they were right to forbid matrimony. etc...

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

I like liking movies. If it means accepting a handful of contrivances or empathize with a social or ideological point-of-view other than my own, so be it.

This would be a valid point if this soon-to-be trilogy offered something of cinematic value other than overwrought CGI, a brand name, and a JW score that never really delivers.

As it is, the nonsensical story, the lazy writing, the horrible comedy, the shallowness, the contrived shit, and in the case of TLJ, assembly of a cast that reeks of a TV episode of Star Trek, put an even stronger emphasis on the ideologies behind it. And in the case of TLJ, the character of Holdo is an even worse offender than Rey, so it's a double whammy of unsubtle stupidity.

17 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

A movie experience should not be a constant fight between the movie trying to teach you a message at the expense of enjoyment, and you trying to ignore it the best you can.

This was not my experience.  I didn't find out about the feminist agenda until way after TLJ came out.  I didn't notice it, and when I watch these movies I don't even think about it.  Applying SJW themes to Star Wars only happens in your mind.

I didn't find Ellie Sattler remotely believable as a military strategist or whatever the hell she was supposed to be. Not to mention Leia, who I believe was in a similar position, just seemed tired and depressed. It's no wonder they got their asses handed to them.

28 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

cinematic value other than overwrought CGI, a brand name, and a JW score that never really delivers.

As it is, the nonsensical story, the lazy writing, the horrible comedy, the shallowness, the contrived shit

I liked both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, to varying degrees.

The former, for its kineticism, its elegant camerawork, high production value and fun characters. There was enough weight placed behind it through Kylo Ren: perhaps the most memorable moment for me in that film is Kylo Ren deliberating in front of Vader's helmet: Love it!

**** out of *****

The Last Jedi, for all its cheap tricks, has good action, is very well photographed, its got director Rian Johnson's love for interesting cuts, and a few moments of gravity. I love the quiet moment between Leia and Luke's apparition. For all the "greatest hits"-vibe of Williams score, when the Luke and Leia theme played there, I choked a bit.

***1/2 out of *****

39 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

You can try to google it before showcasing your ignorance publically.

Thanks Mom

Not knowing what a "Mary Sue" is makes me ignorant, does it. Well at least I'm not a prick.

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

This was not my experience.  I didn't find out about the feminist agenda until way after TLJ came out.  I didn't notice it, and when I watch these movies I don't even think about it.  Applying SJW themes to Star Wars only happens in your mind.

Of course it happens in your mind, where else? You are conditioned to these thoughts and associations in the media world almost every day. That's the whole point of it. It's social education.

If you are saying the feminist and SJ agenda is imaginary, then bollocks. It's directly and obviously dulling the movie down by making the main character dull, without a character arc, without as much as a struggle, and by making the plot senseless, pointless, and vanilla.