Star Wars Disenchantment

John

21 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

making the main character dull, without a character arc,

I don't know that I agree with that. In The Force Awakens, Rey's journey is the classic Hero's Journey. Have I seen enough of this narrative in these types of tentpoles? Absolutely. Does that make it a bad formula? No. In The Last Jedi, the main character's Luke, anyway. But Rey still has a chance to grow, when she overcomes her naïvety, when she shuts the door on Kylo.

Besides, character development isn't a necessary prerequisite for good character. Its what's called a flat arc.

After coming across this, I couldn't stay away:

In an interview with kusc.org, John Williams spoke about Rey's parents:

Interviewer: "I assume they are pretty extraordinary. Somebody tried to tell her that they were anonymous people who died in the desert. I don't believe that."

"Yes. I don't believe it either," Williams said.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The Force Awakens ... perhaps the most memorable moment for me in that film is Kylo Ren deliberating in front of Vader's helmet: Love it!

The Dark Side can infuse itself within a helmet. Kylo thinks he's listening to Darth Vader... but it could be Palpatine.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

which goes to show he was told nothing on the matter.

He might know. But obviously, he's not going to let on if he does. Can you perceive the similarities between Rey's Theme and The Emperor's Theme?

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

which would make that excellent scene really, really stupid.

On the contrary, it would make the scene far better. Having turned to the Dark Side after he discovered the identity of his grandfather, Kylo has been living a lie. He turns back to the Light Side. And with Rey's help, they defeat Darth Sidious - and the Sith - once and for all.

@Chen G. You pressed me for a theory on how the trilogy/saga will end, and I provided. Care to have a crack, yourself? (Please be more specific than 'the Force goes away'.)

27 minutes ago, Mattris said:

He turns back to the Light Side.

Which is itself a stupid idea.

Kylo Ren is not a redeemable character. Another one of the few concrete things The Last Jedi left IX to go on with.

I wrote a full synopsis for what "my" version of the closing film would have been. What, you want me to write a 20-page treatment?

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Of course it happens in your mind, where else? You are conditioned to these thoughts and associations in the media world almost every day. That's the whole point of it. It's social education.

If you are saying the feminist and SJ agenda is imaginary, then bollocks. It's directly and obviously dulling the movie down by making the main character dull, without a character arc, without as much as a struggle, and by making the plot senseless, pointless, and vanilla.

Are you and @Mattris the same person?

I'm not convinced that a feminist and SJW agenda is even present in these films. 

13 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Can you perceive the similarities between Rey's Theme and The Emperor's Theme?

No. I can't. But even if I did I would see it as a counterpoint.  A theme for a powerful Dark Side user and a similar theme for a powerful Light Side user.  

5 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Then they've got you.

LOL. How did they get me if I didn't even know they had an agenda?  If they even do, as I don't notice it. 

5 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I'm not @gkgyver but I like the cut of his jib!

You should since you found one person on the forum who agrees with you. 

The fact that you didn't know they had an agenda - and didn't notice it - proves my point.

In the Disenchantment topic, at least few more generally agreed with my take on Disney Star Wars. And I'll bet many more JWFan members are choosing not to engage.

@gkgyver Have any thoughts on my Episode IX theory?

I've said all I want on the topic of Disenchantment and have no desire to discuss it further. As you can see, I'm hopeful and positive now!

But Rey needs to be perfect and all-powerful to fulfill her role as a figure of revenge fantasy for women!

I fear for Godzilla: King of the Monsters that Godzilla will get his arse handed to him by Ghidorah and instead they'll just get Eleven to make Ghidorah violently explode with her telekinetic powers.

The main problem with Rey is that she is touted as a good female role model because:

”She doesn’t have any weaknesses” 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/03/10/star-wars-star-daisy-ridley-says-that-rey-has-no-weaknesses/#536a81c44188

Captain Marvel kinda has that same problem.

Rey does have weaknesses, and I hope we see her achieve true failure and then overcome it in Episode IX. After all, as Yoda once said: Failure, the best teacher is

Unfortunately I don't think this will happen. Too risky and would upset the new female Disney princess fanatics too much.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So again, what weaknesses did Luke have?

He was quite foolhardy.

Whenver Rey acts like that, it has some kind of narrative justification. But I do find her wanting to go back to Jakku in The Force Awakens is her weakness. her "wound" - the lie she tells herself and which she has to overcome.

As it is, its a bit of a stock weakness for this type of character, and often his foolhardiness is narrativelly justified (e.g. when he goes to save his friends). I think it comes out more during his training.

Its not much, but its there. He was also never quite so powerful (neither was Anakin) until very late in his journey.

So that's a difference between the Skywalkers arc and Rey, I agree.

Is that a reason to consider that a flaw though? With one film still to go?

Steve Rogers became incredibly powerful after a set of injections in his first film, and the character really doesnt have a lot of weaknesses. Apart from being  perhaps a bit too naive and idealistic.

No need to convince me, I'm fine with it.

The Hero's Journey is an idealized narrative, and so very often the character at its center is likewise idealized. It happens with Luke - it even happens with Anakin in The Phantom Menace, it happens a lot with superheroes, and the list goes on.

For some reason, some people suddenly want their Star Wars protagonist to be as flawed as T. E. Lawrence...

All 3 of Rey, Finn and Poe have character flaws that are explored throughout TLJ, and all 3 have character arcs resolved by narrative's end. They each have at least two other characters that shape their arc along the way (Luke/Ben with Rey, Holdo/Leia with Poe, or Rose/DJ with Finn) whether through guidance, betrayal, tough love, failure or enlightenment.

Contrast that to Poe in TFA who really doesn't have an arc (or much of a defined character) at all.

Yeah, a side character's lack of arc can be excused - if letting Finn keep his favourite jacket doesn't count as an arc!

16 hours ago, Mattris said:

The fact that you didn't know they had an agenda - and didn't notice it - proves my point.

In the Disenchantment topic, at least few more generally agreed with my take on Disney Star Wars. And I'll bet many more JWFan members are choosing not to engage.

@gkgyver Have any thoughts on my Episode IX theory? It's on page 56.

No offense to you, please, but I don't want to have to think about movies that deeply when it comes to the actual unfolding of the story. If a movie doesn't get me while I watch it, or actively talks down to me, it's done.

Looking at big brand movies like Star Wars from a social manipulation and zeitgeist point of view is interesting (and aggravating), but I have zero interest in theories about a movie I will never watch a second time. Or possibly first time.

By the way, it's not useless engaging in discussions with me at all, it's just that 98% aren't able to do so without focusing more on getting the passive aggressive quips out of their system than on the actual point, and it's not worth typing a reply.

Also, just because I glanced over posts above: the weakness of the male characters is that practically all of them are portrayed in a way that their typical male traits lead to either their own demise or someone else's.

14 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

e weakness of the male characters is that practically all of them are portrayed in a way that their typical male traits lead to either their own demise or someone else's.

The SJW's got a name for that: toxic masculinity.

Which means that one of my very favourite films (we all know which one) is about as toxic as it ever gets.