Star Wars Disenchantment

John

The emperor is awesome! A great pulp villain. 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Where? Han and Leia are joyless and dull. Luke is broody, Lando is no longer a stylish rogue, Vader is the Emperor's bitch.

They’re given less to do, but they aren’t completely different characters. The personalities are still there. 

I think it’s a bit silly to think that Luke hasn’t changed a bit, especially after the events of ESB. He’s more cautious, controlled. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Its boring, and joyless. 

And more childish and goofier than the previous two. One of my worst visits to a movie theatre, and it was in London, no less. My Star Wars friends hated it too.

Return of the Jedi has nothing on Revenge of the Sith, one had to end a trilogy, the other had to end a messy prequel trilogy and tie into the OT. 

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Both are bad films.

In my book, neither are. 

Return of the Jedi has a stupid twist, and the movie only starts at the one hour mark and soon stalls again because Ewoks (urgh). It has an overwrought, multi-pronged climax (a choice I almost never care for) but it also has some interesting character dynamics, and genuinely affecting moments. *** out of *****

Revenge of the Sith has bad production value and performances, and George Lucas' plain style of coverage and lighting is really at odds with the subject matter. The final fight scene is a huge, over-choreographed letdown, but it has genuine weight, affecting moments again, and this feeling of an old-school Greek tragedy. ***1/2 out of *****

22 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

In my book, neither are. 

Return of the Jedi has a stupid twist, and the movie only starts at the one hour mark and soon stalls again because Ewoks (urgh). It has an overwrought, multi-pronged climax (a choice I almost never care for) but it also has some interesting character dynamics, and genuinely affecting moments. *** out of *****

Revenge of the Sith has bad production value and performances, and George Lucas' plain style of coverage and lighting is really at odds with the subject matter. The final fight scene is a huge, over-choreographed letdown, but it has genuine weight, affecting moments again, and this feeling of an old-school Greek tragedy. ***1/2 out of *****

The day we all feared has come: the day that people rate PT films over OT films. We're all doomed. Doomed, I say!

12 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Everything is bad, except for the things I like.

For the trilogy's third installment, Return of the Jedi, Lucas supervised the addition of an elaborate new musical sequence as well as improvements to one of the film's key creatures and the inclusion of brand new footage and music for the film's ending.

2 minutes ago, Demodex said:

RotS is a good movie if you ignore all the terrible dialogue.  RotJ is a good movie if you ignore the Ewoks. 

Somehow I think you don't even really like Star Wars...

Just now, dougie said:

You're also one of those prequel haters. We don't serve your kind here.

At least they had good music. 

My biggest problem with the prequels is that Lucas sucks at writing dialogue. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

the day that people rate PT films over OT films.

I never understood the concept of "original trilogy". Its not a very homogenous piece, with each film having different writers and directors and no overriding story to  begin with, they vary significantly in quality and sensibilities.

The prequel trilogy, on the other hand, is much more homogenous, with a single director and principal screenwriter. There's still variations (II and III are definitely more closely knit-together than I and II) but its basically the same aesthetic, style of acting, etcetra throughout.

Given the first trilogy's heterogenous nature, I personally see Return of the Jedi as closer to The Phantom Menace than it is The Empire Strikes Back. Even the rampant use of bluescreen in the prequel trilogy has its antecedent in the use of rear projection in Return of the Jedi. The Ewoks prefigure Jar Jar, as well.

Narrativelly, too, you need only look at the way the climaxes of the films are structured: The original Star Wars has a single plotline, The Empire Strikes Back has two, Return of the Jedi has three and The Phantom Menace has four.

To me, the moniker "original" applies either to the original film (Star Wars) or to the original six films, singling out the Disney sequel trilogy.

1 hour ago, Ghostbusters II said:

For the trilogy's third installment, Return of the Jedi, Lucas supervised the addition of an elaborate new musical sequence as well as improvements to one of the film's key creatures and the inclusion of brand new footage and music for the film's ending.

This is my childhood. I hate it, and yet at the same time it brings back such nostalgia. So maybe I like it. That VHS collection got played so much in my house. 

You know, I just can’t believe things have gotten so bad in this series that there’s no way back. I mean, sure, it’s messy, it’s crowded, it’s polluted and there are people who would just as soon step on your face as look at you. But come on. There’s gotta be a few sparks of sweet humanity left in this burned-out berg and we just gotta find a way to mobilize it!

Watching Mulder and Scully falling in love over the course of the series is actually a surprisingly nice thing to watch unfold as an adult. But when I was a kid, it was like seeing your parents get mushy, it was almost embarrassing.

36 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Ever wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and realize you don't recognize your forum anymore? 

Yeah.  Something’s happening with this place.

we must keep it alive or we’ll fall with it.

Just now, dougie said:

All the fun threads like the LBGT threads get closed.

The first day I went to the Off Topic forum (yesterday), that’s the first post I saw. It’s closed now? #lamesauce

Who the hell are these bedwetters? See? They're positioning themselves all over the forum, using this one signal to synchonise their efforts, and in approximately six hours, the signal's going to disappear and the countdown's going to be over.