Star Wars Disenchantment

John

22 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

You can't just find them via Google typically. You need to know where to look. The 4K projects are more readily available, and I would recommend those over Harmy's or Adywan's edits. I'm slowly working on Project 4K05 myself.

Ok thank you I'm sorry.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I see that Force Awakens, Rogue One and Last Jedi recouped the 4 billion Disney bought Lucasfilm for between them. Safe to assume Rise Of Skywalker will add another couple of billion to that, then there's the proposed Episodes 10 - 12.

Guess they can afford that hit they took with Solo :lol: .     

Assuming industry norms concerning box office receipts, Disney received about 60% of the revenue for the theatrically-released SW films: about $2.5B in total. But of course, the first four films weren't cheap to produce and market, costing Disney well over $1.5B. Net revenue from the films alone is around $1B.

I have yet to see proof that Disney has "recouped the 4 billion" initial investment.

Even George Lucas is disenchanted about current Star Wars!

Given these latest comments from Iger, I'm curious to know what he, JJ, and KK told Lucas of their plan for the Sequel Trilogy... either before or after he signed the sales contract and NDA.

If things go as I expect regarding the conclusion of the Saga, I think the majority of fans will be impressed. Canon clues and foreshadowing indicate an epic and "satisfying" ending... that only a relative few expect.

I seem to recall it revolved around a rejected plot point from Revenge of the Sith according to which it was Palpatine who created Anakin from midichlorians, and is therefore Kylo’s great-grandfather. With the way they’re hyping-up the Emperor, it may well come to pass.

Which, by the way, is a godawful idea.

I mean, technically that is canon. But he's not literally Kylo's "grandfather". He, using teachings from his master, somehow used the force to impregnate Shmi, or something like that. There was a comic book a few months back that eluded to that. Originally the idea was that Plagueis, Palpatine's master, was the one to impregnate Shmi; but they seemed to have altered that concept a bit and replaced him with Palpatine himself.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:19 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

What was your theory again?

I'll start with this to get the conversation rolling again:

To those who think Lucasfilm basically remade A New Hope with The Force Awakens, "They didn't... but we were meant to think they did."

Lucasfilm intended to be ambiguous and mysterious with their presentation of the first two installments of the Sequel Trilogy, but all major events that occur in The Rise of Skywalker will have be drawn from events in the previous Episodes... in retrospect, foreshadowed.

When pieced together correctly, these important elements of STAR WARS reveal what will (likely) happen in The Rise of Skywalker:

- What Palaptine said to Anakin during 'The Opera Scene' in ROTS.
- The Prophecy of the Chosen One
- The primary fears, motivations, goals, desires, and Force powers of Palpatine, Anakin, Ben Solo, and Rey. (as explained in the films and new canon material)
- What Ben said to his father before he killed him.
- What Ben has said to Rey. (Note that he has never been attempting to defeat or kill her, as he could have done so had this been his desire.)

I have good reason to believe that Kylo's "Show me, again, the power of the darkness… and I will let nothing stand in our way. Show me, grandfather, and I will finish what you started." line to Vader's mask has a significant meaning other than the obvious 'destroying the Jedi and Sith'. In this regard, the Vader comics and VR game contain clues what Kylo meant. (Hint: It has to do with Padme.)

Rey is not on a Hero's Journey. Her reason to exist in this trilogy has not yet been made clear. But trust me, it's coming... and the masses will be shocked.  (pun intended)

14 minutes ago, Mattris said:

To those who think Lucasfilm basically remade A New Hope with The Force Awakens, "They didn't... but we were meant to think they did."

Lucasfilm intended to be ambiguous and mysterious with their presentation of the first two installments of the Sequel Trilogy, but all major events that occur in The Rise of Skywalker will have be drawn from events in the previous Episodes... in retrospect, foreshadowed.

When pieced together correctly, these important elements of STAR WARS reveal what will (likely) happen in The Rise of Skywalker:

- The primary fears, motivations, goals, desires, and Force powers of Palpatine, Anakin, Ben Solo, and Rey. (as explained in the films and new canon material)
- What Ben has said to Rey. (Note that he has never been attempting to defeat or kill her, as he could have done so had this been his desire.)

I have good reason to believe that Kylo's "finish what you started" line to Vader's mask has a significant meaning other than the obvious 'destroying the Jedi and Sith'. In this regard, the Vader comics and VR game contain clues what Kylo meant. (Hint: It has to do with Padme.)

Rey is not on a Hero's Journey. Her reason to exist in this trilogy has not yet been made clear. But trust me, it's coming... and the masses will be shocked.  (pun intended)

So keeping with the Star Wars analogies, you would say you're the Poe Dameron to Lucasfilm's Holdo in The Last Jedi, is that right? 

Not quite. Holdo did not want Poe to know her plan. Leia later told Poe of the plan, which was hers all along.

In the case of the Sequel Trilogy, Lucasfilm deliberately left clues in the canon material as proof that they had a plan. With the right perspective, I have discovered (many of) them... and have constructed a theory for the conclusion of the Saga. I think it's so accurate, I'll have to post a SPOILER ALERT.

Thoughts on my above post, anyone?

33 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I have good reason to believe that Kylo's "finish what you started" line to Vader's mask has a significant meaning other than the obvious 'destroying the Jedi and Sith'. In this regard, the Vader comics and VR game contain clues what Kylo meant. (Hint: It has to do with Padme.)

Interesting, but why don't you write it all out for us who are a bit rusty on SW? These hints don't really say much for me.

38 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Rey Palpatine. :up:

Not quite. Rey will not be a (natural) blood relative, nor will she be an apprentice of Darth Sidious.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting, but why don't you write it all out for us who are a bit rusty on SW? These hints don't really say much for me.

What would be the fun in that? I've pointed you in the right direction. If you're truly interested, do some research. Then we can discuss.

Oh, I know. I have plenty of time.

It really wouldn't take that long to research, as you would just be looking up a some quotes and summaries. But if you won't do the research, then perhaps someone else will.

22 minutes ago, mstrox said:

What role will lasers and laser swords play in the final movie of the Skywalker Saga?

It's quite possible that the massive fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers (shown in the D23 Special Look) will be used as a callback to Han's response to Obi-wan that it would "take a thousand ships with more firepower" to destroy a planet. (And I think they show that happening, as well.)

On 9/26/2019 at 3:50 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I mean, technically that is canon. But he's not literally Kylo's "grandfather". He, using teachings from his master, somehow used the force to impregnate Shmi, or something like that. There was a comic book a few months back that eluded to that. Originally the idea was that Plagueis, Palpatine's master, was the one to impregnate Shmi; but they seemed to have altered that concept a bit and replaced him with Palpatine himself.

I mean, if Palpatine revealed this to Anakin in Revenge of the Sith, it would have worked within the context of that film, because in it Palpatine really does feel like Anakin's father. He's certainly more of a father to him than Obi Wan or any of the Jedi.

But to reveal the same now, to Kylo, will just be awful. Its the same with Rey's parents. We know who Kylo is. Rearranging his family tree isn't going to change his character or what we the audience think and feel of him.

2 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Rey is going to be revealed as his biological grandaughter or even daughter?

That'll just make a stupid twist, even stupider.

Plus, if they're going to do this, they better hand-out a genealogy table at the entrance to the theater, because people are going to get confused out of their mind.

"No, I am your great-great grandfather's brother-in-law!"

One of the canon comics insinuated that Palpatine used the Force to create life within Shmi Skywalker, resulting in Anakin. This will be explained in Episode IX, and Rey will be revealed to be another of his creations.

You don’t need a comic-book for that: it was in the bloody screenplay of Revenge of the Sith. I can absolutely see JJ Abrams going there with Kylo, but I still think it’s dumb.

To have Rey also be connected to Palpatine I think less probable (in the sense that I don’t think Abrams will go there) and tenfold idiotic.

16 hours ago, Chen G. said:

You don’t need a comic-book for that: it was in the bloody screenplay of Revenge of the Sith. I can absolutely see JJ Abrams going there with Kylo, but I still think it’s dumb.

To have Rey also be connected to Palpatine I think less probable (in the sense that I don’t think Abrams will go there) and tenfold idiotic.

Not making Ben Han Solo's son would be completely wipe out the impact of the shocking murder a the end of TFA. Mark my words, Ben killed his father for a specific reason other than to impress/placate Snoke enough to be able to betray him.

Why is Rey being connected to Palpatine less probable? Who is she? What is her reason to exist in this trilogy if not to be a crucial element of Palpatine's meticulous Contingency Plan? (As I pointed about before the teaser trailer dropped, Rey's Theme all but confirms that she is connected to Palpatine and Vader.)

16 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Now I suppose we know why did Han and Leia split and why did Luke try to murder the mutant and, after he failed, went into celibate exile.

It was inferred that Han and Leia split after their son went to the dark side and destroyed Luke's Jedi academy... at least a decade before the events of TFA.

Luke did not "try to murder" Ben. He saw that Ben "would bring destruction, pain, death, and the end of everything I love because of what he will become" and briefly lost control in "a moment of pure instinct"... this behavior consistent with his actions in the Emperor's throne room in response to hearing Vader threaten to turn Leia to the dark side. In both instances, Luke reacted in fear/anger/aggression of what could happen if he didn't take immediate, drastic, violent action... but realized his mistake and stopped short of delivering the killer blow.

9 hours ago, Mattris said:

Not making Ben Han Solo's son would be completely wipe out the impact of the shocking murder a the end of TFA. Mark my words, Ben killed his father for a specific reason other than to impress/placate Snoke enough to be able to betray him.

What? That's not what I was saying at all. What I was saying is that, to reveal Palpatine as the sire of the Skywalker line (and, by extension, Kylo) would be an awful idea for Episode IX in general.

Also, I'm sorry, but its absolutely adorable that you think Kylo was always planning on betraying Snoke.

Absolutely adorable.

What's "absolutely adorable" is that you think Ben Solo didn't always plan on betraying Snoke.

Do you think that Jedi-trained Ben Solo turned to the dark side to submit to Snoke without ulterior motives? Do you think Snoke's death and Palptine's return wasn't planned from the beginning? Do you think that JJ didn't tell John Williams of Rey's origin/fate... and to compose her theme accordingly? If so, that's also adorable!

To reveal Palpatine as the sire of the Skywalker line - and, by extension, Kylo - would be an inspired idea for Episode IX, unifying all of the generations... against their evil creator.

35 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Do you think that JJ didn't tell John Williams of Rey's origin/fate... and to compose her theme accordingly? If so, that's also adorable!

During a concert in 2016, while introducing Rey's theme, JW said something along these lines (sorry if it is not the exact quote): "I am wondering, like you all, who Rey's parents are... I think she must be Luke's daughter! But I don't really know, my guess is as good as yours". Ah, that adorable old man and his cunning plans to deceive us!! 

45 minutes ago, Score said:

During a concert in 2016, while introducing Rey's theme, JW said something along these lines (sorry if it is not the exact quote): "I am wondering, like you all, who Rey's parents are... I think she must be Luke's daughter! But I don't really know, my guess is as good as yours". Ah, that adorable old man and his cunning plans to deceive us!!

Possibly. Please link his exact quote. A few months after TLJ was released, John Williams had some other comments on Rey's parents.

JJ Abrams said at the TRIBECA TALKS DIRECTOR'S SERIES 2016 that "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII."

45 minutes ago, Score said:

Ah, that adorable old man and his cunning plans to deceive us!! 

It was his plan, I tell you! Williams came up with Rey's origin (as the similarities of the themes show, she's clearly a corporeal incarnation of the Death Star) and told Kathleen Kennedy to conform to it.

Duh!

Tell that to the Disney shareholders... as they're running out of movies to remake... and Star Wars disenchantment is at an all-time high... and profits are significantly down.