Star Wars Disenchantment

John

Producing stories that the audience (initially) perceives are 'cool' is not Lucasfilm's priority. First and foremost, the grand narrative and themes take precedence. Darth Plagueis had no part to play in this trilogy.

@Chen G. I regret to inform you, that was the only Star Wars anagram of which I am aware.

But feel free to (finally) comment on the "Kill him, a voice in her head said." excerpt from The Force Awakens novelization... especially as it relates to the Jedi voices Rey heard in her head at the end of IX... and the fact that Emperor Palpatine revealed to Kylo Ren, "I have been every voice you have ever heard inside your head."

And let's not forget that after Anakin had disabled Count Dooku, Palpatine said, "Kill him. Kill him now. Do it!"

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

But feel free to (finally) comment on the "Kill him, a voice in her head said." excerpt from The Force Awakens novelization

No thank you. At this point I'm mostly here for the laughs. So either you get something like that anagram or no deal.

When the novelization of The Force Awakens was written, it was not decided yet that Palpatine would be in the trilogy. 

On 10/25/2020 at 1:08 PM, Mattris said:

It was portrayed in the films that the Skywalkers died in self-sacrificial acts. Having said that, I believe Darth Sidious was involved.

Involved how?  😄😄😄

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

When the novelization of The Force Awakens was written, it was not decided yet that Palpatine would be in the trilogy. 

Proof of this? Let me remind you, statements from people - regardless of their stature - cannot be used as proof.

As for Sidious' involvement in the deaths of the Skywalkers and two other major characters, I decline to comment further. (Some things are better left to surprise.)

15 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Proof of this? Let me remind you, statements from people - regardless of their stature - cannot be used as proof.

Is this some sort of insanity test? 

But good to know you admit that the endless tripe you write cannot be used as proof. 

9 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

But good to know you admit that the endless tripe you write cannot be used as proof. 

Making connections within the films and canon is the best available evidence... along with John Williams' scores for TFA and TLJ.

I could spoil how Palpatine's involvement and return was always part of the plan - at least since 1983. But again, I will leave it as a surprise. You'll see.

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

Making connections within the films and canon is the best available evidence... along with John Williams' scores for TFA and TLJ.

I could spoil how Palpatine's involvement and return was always part of the plan - at least since 1983. But again, I will leave it as a surprise. You'll see.

Oh no, please don't spoil this trilogy, it's already so great! 

6 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

If they had gone with Rey being a Kenobi, people would be pointing to the final bars of TFA as proof that JW knew all along.

I don't know to which "people" you are referring, but use of The Force Theme  is no longer attributed to Obi-Wan, specifically.

Rey being a Kenobi makes no sense in the grander narrative of the Saga. None.

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Oh no, please don't spoil this trilogy, it's already so great! 

Your assumptions that Lucasfilm doesn't understand the narrative and themes of the Saga... and that moving forward with the Saga, the company had no plan for its main characters - most notably, the through-line villain... is hilarious.

You will come to realize that these parable-based films - all nine of them - were designed to challenge the audience, leaving many of the explanations, pay-offs, and revelations for the third films of their respective trilogies. Many more are still to come.

You'd be wise to stop posting here, if for no other reason than to avoid further embarrassment once your initial, ignorant assessments are proven to be shockingly short-sighted.

11 hours ago, Mattris said:

As for Sidious' involvement in the deaths of the Skywalkers and two other major characters, I decline to comment further. (Some things are better left to surprise.)

A surprise that will never happen. 🙄

If it was so obvious and inevitable that Palpatine was coming back why did it take you until way after TLJ to figure it out?

On 27/10/2020 at 8:19 AM, Demodex said:

If it was so obvious and inevitable that Palpatine was coming back why did it take you until way after TLJ to figure it out?

Until I made the effort to research and reflect, I didn't fully understand the Saga's main themes and trajectory of its narrative. Now, it could not be more obvious to me. Sooner than later, you'll realize that Palpatine's return was predestined... because I know what's coming.  😎

With dozens of clues scattered throughout the novelizations and canon, Lucasfilm wanted us to 'get it'. As it turns out, Star Wars fans - at least the vocal ones - were too stubborn, prideful, and lazy to do any more than watch the movies, quickly formulate general assessments, and gather their opinions as 'fact'... but without understanding the main point of the Saga to have even been created. (What a mistake this will be proven to have been.)

I'd say I'm still waiting on your evidence that indicates that 'when the novelization of The Force Awakens was written, it was not decided yet that Palpatine would be in the trilogy'. But I know you don't have any... because I know that's not true.

No, you assume that's not true. You have no more evidence than the rest of us. 

Palpatine not being in Trevorrow's script proves to me it was a last minute idea.  

But please, keep repeating the same stuff over and over because you have no more evidence. 

I suppose "what's coming" will be in The Mandalorian, but it doesn't prove anything.  Private message me if you're so sure what's about to happen. 

48 minutes ago, Demodex said:

No, you assume that's not true. You have no more evidence than the rest of us. 

False. I have read the substantive canon material and novelizations... and realized certain major elements that have been baked into the story. The vast majority of the fans - including you - have not. I also understand the films as George Lucas intended them to be interpreted... when it seems that the fans at large haven't a clue.

Palpatine not being in Trevorrow's script proves to me it was a last minute idea.

Your belief in this 'leaked' script and pre-production art proves to me that you are ignorant, naïve, and gullible.

But please, keep repeating the same stuff over and over because you have no more evidence. 

Oh, I do... enough to create a book. But why would I take further time to try and convince you? You've already made up your mind. Lucasfilm will take it from here.

I suppose "what's coming" will be in The Mandalorian, but it doesn't prove anything.  Private message me if you're so sure what's about to happen. 

Some things, perhaps. The upcoming Obi-Wan mini-series, more likely. But the biggest revelations and resolutions will be saved for the Final Trilogy. It will prove that you were wrong on many levels. One reveal in particular - that I'm confident will be in Episode X - will prove that Palpatine's return was inevitable.

@Demodex I wouldn't private message you on any circumstances.

37 minutes ago, Evanus said:

It was a last minute idea. Ian McDiarmid literally got the call a year before TROS was released.

That's not what McDiarmid said. He said JJ had contacted him "about a year" before "the middle of filming" of TROS.

This doesn't mean that he wasn't approached before then - before a specific part had been written for him - to confirm his availability.

There is not going to be an Episode 10. 

All you have to do is message me this proof you have and maybe I'll change my mind. Otherwise you're just a pathetic troll.  

Trevorrow's script and concept art had no Palpatine because it wasn't planned for him to be in it.  Period. 

37 minutes ago, Mattris said:

One reveal in particular - that I'm confident will be in Episode X - will prove that Palpatine's return was inevitable.

What reveal is this?  Message me. 

Regardless of what it's called, the story of the Saga has not concluded - not by a long shot.

My intention was not 'to change your mind', but merely to present canon evidence and my assessment of the Saga.

Why in the world you think I would even remotely consider personally messaging you with such exclusive information... I'll never know.

Trevorrow's script and concept art were leaked - in full - to add to the mountain of "irresistible bait". Trust me, they're playing the fans as fools. With the seemingly endless controversy surrounding this trilogy, would you really be surprised?

You already admitted that you weren't "as smart as" me and were 'humbled by my wisdom'. Even if you were being sarcastic, your continuance to badger me on this topic means that, along with @Chen G.you are the pathetic troll here, @Demodex.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

...not all laughter is mockery and derision.

Mine kind of is. I mean, his theories are so on point but he won't share them with us?  He's so brilliant but he won't reveal what he's figured out.  Please.  He's so full of himself he must be dying to tell us!  

There won't be another trilogy. There's no reason for one.  All the original Skywalkers are dead. 

On 27/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, Chen G. said:

I've been told its called by some outlandish name...I believe its pronounced "humour."

You refuse to answer most of my questions and add little-to-nothing to this discussion. I'm not laughing with you, so I receive your laughter as mockery and derision.

Address that excerpt from The Force Awakens novelization, @Chen G. and we can be on speaking terms again.

On 27/10/2020 at 2:36 PM, Demodex said:

Mine kind of is. I mean, his theories are so on point but he won't share them with us?  He's so brilliant but he won't reveal what he's figured out.  Please.  He's so full of himself he must be dying to tell us!  

There won't be another trilogy. There's no reason for one.  All the original Skywalkers are dead. 

My advice for you is to carefully read the film novelizations and select canon volumes... or the very least, view the films with a fresh perspective... or should I say, "point of view". Lucasfilm's intent was to challenge the audience, who would be required to watch/read closely and truly think in order to realize the deeper meaning behind these parable-based stories. That was sort of the point of it all. It follows that those unaware of this have not experienced the Saga properly.

@Demodex, I've been spoon-feeding you for many pages now. But you have a habit of refusing to listen. After I was proven right about Palpatine returning - and his primary goal in IX - I don't why you're so adamantly doubting me... across hundreds of posts.

In all honesty, I see no reason to continue speaking with you... for now, at least.

On 27/10/2020 at 3:29 PM, gkgyver said:

The Skywalkers are dead. 

But the Skywoakahs are alive and well. 

In case you missed it... In one of the TROS TV spots, Emperor Palpatine said:

"This will be the final word in the story of Skywalker."

If you can't 'get it' after this - and my posts from the last ~15 pages - you're going to just have to wait it out with the rest of them.

It's not the "incredible plot" of this movie. It's a core facet of the narrative of the Saga, of which Palpatine himself stated on-the-nose to Luke decades prior:

"If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed."

In the climax of IX, Palpatine made it (verbally) evident that Ben Solo was the only remaining member of the Skywalker bloodline:

"As once I fell, so falls the last Skywalker."

... said like he had been checking off his hitlist. But Sidious didn't kill him, as he could have easily... just temporarily removed him from the playing board. After Rey's foolish act, Ben returned and died 'saving' her... the new vessel for the Sith spirit.

At that point, Sidious' personal revenge was complete: the elimination of the Skywalker family by arranging their self-sacrifices. How satisfying for The Devil.

Suggesting that that TV spot was required to realize this Sith lord's vengeful intentions and very purpose to feature in this Saga as its villain... is, quite frankly, absurd.

After the events of Revenge of the Sith, it was abundantly evident that this pure evil creature sought to rule the galaxy and attain immortality through destruction, the 'unnatural abilities' of the dark side, and the manipulation of the Skywalkers and their accomplices.

And nine films in - and after all I've posted here - you still hadn't gotten it.

How short-sighted of you, @gkgyver - just one of the consequences of pride and willful ignorance.

I don't have that gift, either. Once again, you assumed that no further films would have been made after ROTJ - and will be made after TROS - based on your initial assessments, born from ignorance and a severe underestimation of George Lucas and his (former) company, which was left with all of his notes, research, and story treatments.

Once you understand the principal reason for the Saga to have been created... and realize that the climaxes of VI and IX are essentially identical, you would come to the conclusion that the story must continue.

I'm curious, what do you think George Lucas intended when creating this Star Wars Saga? Feel free to quote him.

@gkgyver, I find it ironic that you act so offended as to abandon the conversation when you have been demeaning and dismissing me throughout this thread for quite some time.

I used that harmless phrase because, as you noted, it was me  that had said previously that 'quotes from people don't count'... and that I would make an exception by accepting George Lucas quotes as admissible evidence when defining George Lucas' intent for the Saga.

To a neutral observer, your behavior would appear unnecessarily aggressive. I presented substantive assessments and a direct question, and you immediately gave up in the rudest manner.

If you don't answer, it's clear that you don't really want to be helped.

Moving forward with Star Wars, I foresee you having a rough time of it, that is, unless you choose to learn and accept the many relevant, "fascinating" facts of which you were either unaware or refused to accept, whatever the reason.

You can start now... or wait for Lucasfilm to shock you with a dose of reality the likes of which has never been seen before in the world of entertainment.

Trust me, it's coming.

I think you give Lucas too much credit to think that there is some hidden meaning we are all missing here.  These movies aren't that deep.  Didn't he himself say they're essentially kids movies?

The Skywalker saga is over.  

7 hours ago, Mattris said:

ignorance and a severe underestimation of George Lucas.

George Lucas? You mean the man who - in a fifty year career - made one good kiddie film, a nice comedy, two duds, and two middling films?

Yeah, I do underestimate him.

Hi @Jay. Don't worry. For a whole host of reasons, I'm done interacting with gkgyver.

And while I don't appreciate you, once again, calling me a troll because I reply to those who respond to me about Star Wars in a Star Wars thread, creating substantive posts, while staying on-topic...

... I do appreciate you finally spelling my name correctly. :thumbup:

What I would find "unbelievable" is that you're not secretly hoping that I'm spot on with my theory that the Saga will continue shortly. (Because really, who among us doesn't want another Star Wars film score by John Williams?)

If I am right about this - or should I say, continue to be right - then that swath of mysterious, 'left over' music thought to have been composed for Episode IX was actually the bulk of the score for  Episode X, which was filmed back-to-back with trIXie.  :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

It's an instinct... a feeling...

16 HOURS after The Mandalorian season 2 finale, my vindication will begin.

"At last the work of generations is complete. The great error is corrected. The day of victory is at hand. The day of revenge. The day of the Sith."

― Emperor Palpatine's broadcast prior to the Battle of Exegol

6 hours ago, Mattris said:

16 HOURS after the conclusion of The Mandalorian season 2, my vindication will begin.

What do you think is happening then? 

16 hours?  Where did you pull that number from?

5 minutes ago, Demodex said:

16 hours?  Where did you pull that number from?

Oh yes! whatever the answer to that question is, it sounds like something that could potentially be as funny as that anagram stuff!

On 12/17/2020 at 3:38 AM, Mattris said:

It's an instinct... a feeling...

16 HOURS after The Mandalorian season 2 finale, my vindication will begin.

"At last the work of generations is complete. The great error is corrected. The day of victory is at hand. The day of revenge. The day of the Sith."

― Emperor Palpatine's broadcast prior to the Battle of Exegol

Here we are, just 16 hours after the final premier. I see no great error being corrected...

DeficientMasculineCurassow-small.gif