Jump to content

Star Wars Disenchantment


John
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Otherwise, why was the sequel trilogy made?

 

😄😄😄

 

Because people like Star Wars, and Star Wars movies are guaranteed to make big $$$...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Seven years after buying Lucasfilm, present evidence that Disney has made back their $4.05B investment.

 

What does that have to do with anything? Seven years is a short period of time in an acquisition like this. Disney will make their money, nobody can doubt that. Johnson's films, the GoT guys' films, more merchandising, etc. 

 

I 100% fail to see what your comment does to strengthen your argument that Palpatine has to come back in Episode IX. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, John said:

😄😄😄

 

Because people like Star Wars, and Star Wars movies are guaranteed to make big $$$...?

 

Wrong. SOLO, a movie that few wanted, was made twice... and lost $100-200M.

 

30 minutes ago, Fargo said:

What does that have to do with anything? Seven years is a short period of time in an acquisition like this. Disney will make their money, nobody can doubt that. Johnson's films, the GoT guys' films, more merchandising, etc. 

 

I 100% fail to see what your comment does to strengthen your argument that Palpatine has to come back in Episode IX. lol

 

I'm sure Disney would have hoped to have been BILLIONS ahead at this point in time - before the saga had wrapped and the new parks opening. But floundering merchandise sales are currently loosing them money!

 

A significant percentage of (decades-long) Star Wars fans are disappointed with Disney's handling of the franchise... for a whole host of reasons. Some fans have given up. But for many of the disenchanted fans, Episode IX will be Disney's last opportunity to earn back their support. What will entice them to come back?  Rey vs. Kylo #3 and Lando?  Give me a break!  Palpatine is the only logical answer. Have a better idea? I'd like to hear it.

 

BOTTOM LINE: Palpatine coming back (in a significant way) would be a game-changer for the franchise and fans. With all the evidence I've presented, I think they've been planning this reveal all along. We'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John said:

Because people like Star Wars, and Star Wars movies are guaranteed to make big $$$...?

 

I actually agree with @Mattris on the point that the sequel trilogy has no narrative reason to exist. Its just there because, as you said, people like Star Wars so here's more of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that was obvious the moment is was announced Disney was doing this.

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

 

I actually agree with @Mattris on the point that the sequel trilogy has no narrative reason to exist. Its just there because, as you said, people like Star Wars so here's more of it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

A 'good' ending to the saga without Palpatine... unlikely. His presence/involvement could make it great. Otherwise, why was the sequel trilogy made?

 

Even if Palpatine is in Episode 9, the Star Wars saga is Anakin's story, so there would still be no reason for the Sequel Trilogy. 

Sure there's the the argument that it was always about the Skywalkers, but to me it was always about Anakin's fall and redemption.  Before these films I never cared about Luke or Leia's kids. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

 

I already debunked that article, which makes a claim but - with incomplete data - doesn't prove it. Hell, it doesn't even mention that Disney only got roughly 60% of the box office revenue. Seriously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me, as soon as Star Wars became Episode 4, A New Hope, it was Anakin's story, as that was long before the prequels. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

To me, as soon as Star Wars became Episode 4, A New Hope, it was Anakin's story, as that was long before the prequels. 

 

What? Star Wars became Episode IV after Lucas decided to make a prequel trilogy about Anakin. You swallowed his revisionist history hook, line and sinker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, John said:

 

😄😄😄

 

Because people like Star Wars, and Star Wars movies are guaranteed to make big $$$...?

 

You make it sound like they just like the brand name and couldn't give a stuff about the content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not at all, I think there's definitely a lot of talent and passion behind these new movies, I just think it's silly to think that the only reason they exist is solely for expanding upon the character/lore of the original films, and not for profit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's called Galaxy Edge. There's one being added to Disney World, too. From what I've heard, it'll be mostly Sequel Trilogy-themed. Counting their chickens, I'd say.

 

26 minutes ago, John said:

Not at all, I think there's definitely a lot of talent and passion behind these new movies, I just think it's silly to think that the only reason they exist is solely for expanding upon the character/lore of the original films, and not for profit.

 

If maximum profit was their primary concern, Disney/Lucasfilm would have treated the disenchanted fans much differently... and not allow the media to run with false narratives (racist, sexist fans, etc.) in an effort to dismiss the backlash. It's like they wanted the fan disappointment/confusion to fester... throwing the fans off of the scent. But something major is coming in IX, and I think I've figured it out.  😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't that the whole point, to sacrifice older traditional fans in an effort to expand the franchise's appeal to different demographics and attract a new female/gay/trans/non-white audience that might not have watched (or been fans of) Star Wars before?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Star Wars has always been for everyone, including female/gay/trans/non-white. A company should never be 'sacrificing traditional fans' in hopes that others with join. I'm convinced that was Kathleen Kennedy's primary objective, and it's inflicted significant damage to the fandom. Hopefully, JJ will right the ship so that repairs can be made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

 

What? Star Wars became Episode IV after Lucas decided to make a prequel trilogy about Anakin. You swallowed his revisionist history hook, line and sinker.

 

Wrong. When Empire came out in 1980 it was Episode 5 in the opening crawl. 

When the original film was re-released on April 10, 1981, Episode IV: A New Hope was added above the original opening craw

 

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

Counting their chickens, I'd say.

 

And dollar signs as these parks will make a fortune. No question about it.  Comments like that are why people think you're delusional. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

And dollar signs as these parks will make a fortune. No question about it.  Comments like that are why people think you're delusional. 

 

I concede that the opening 8-10 months of the Star Wars parks will be a resounding financial success. My point is that Disney has made them almost exclusively Sequel Trilogy-focused before the trilogy is complete. They can't be sure that the Sequel Trilogy - as it concludes the entire Saga - will be widely accepted by the vast majority of fans. Long-term profit is on the line, and it appears they have put their trust in the new films.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mattris said:

 

I concede that the opening 8-10 months of the Star Wars parks will be a resounding financial success. My point is that Disney has made them almost exclusively Sequel Trilogy-focused before the trilogy is complete. They can't be sure that the Sequel Trilogy - as it concludes the entire Saga - will be widely accepted by the vast majority of fans. Long-term profit is on the line, and it appears they have put their trust in the new films.

 

Disney more often than not likes to engage in active rather than passive marketing. It wants to set the trends rather than follow them. This is just another example of that strategy. The company is counting on people preferring its version of the brand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The kids who are growing up now watching the new trilogy will love the parks. Their parents will give Disney loads of money to visit them.

 

Only the kids who like the new movies will love the parks. But if the parents don't like the movies (or Lucasfilm or Disney, for whatever reason), they will likely dissuade their kids from liking them. So no park visits... no loads of money spent.

 

11 minutes ago, dougie said:

Disney more often than not likes to engage in active rather than passive marketing. It wants to set the trends rather than follow them. This is just another example of that strategy. The company is counting on people preferring its version of the brand.

 

To that point, Disney is sure acting... unique with its marketing of the new films. They allow the disenchanted fans to wallow in confusion and disappointment for years... and encourage employees - and the media - to insult them. How trend-setting of them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

To that point, Disney is sure acting... unique with its marketing of the new films. They allow the disenchanted fans to wallow in confusion and disappointment for years... and encourage employees - and the media - to insult them. How trend-setting of them!

 

Well why not? We're an acceptable sacrifice. Collateral damage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PR babble? Have people forgotten that reanimating the original spirit of Star Wars is exactly what Abrams' movie is so desperately trying to do?

 

 

(and why so many fans claim it's the best Star Wars movie since TESB?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TFA was a rather safe, but promising, start to the trilogy. What a shame it was that Rian Johnson chose to subvert fans' expectations with TLJ, dismiss all criticism of the film, and then took to Twitter to insult confused/disappointed fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The First Order is pretty woke too. They really seemed to care about the mental and emotional wellbeing of their officers and stormtroopers. Not sure why Finn bolted. He seemed to have it pretty good there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dougie said:

The First Order is pretty woke too. They really seemed to care about the mental and emotional wellbeing of their officers and stormtroopers. Not sure why Finn bolted. He seemed to have it pretty good there.

 

Not sure why Finn bolted, either. The stormtroopers were "programmed from birth", so why did he mutiny after his Jakku mission?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Demodex said:

Even if Palpatine is in Episode 9, the Star Wars saga is Anakin's story, so there would still be no reason for the Sequel Trilogy. 

 

5 hours ago, Demodex said:

 

Wrong. When Empire came out in 1980 it was Episode 5 in the opening crawl. 

When the original film was re-released on April 10, 1981, Episode IV: A New Hope was added above the original opening craw

 

 

9 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

No, that's just what George started telling everybody when he was working on the prequels. If it weren't for the prequels there would be no one claiming Star Wars was anything but Luke's story. Star Wars isn't anybody's story now. It's just a generational adventure serial and you know, there's nothing wrong with that.

 

You're all both right and wrong.

 

No matter what Lucas says, Star Wars isn't Anakin's story. In watching the first three films, even after Lucas has tinkered with them (including the changes of titles which happened before the prequels were made - but after they were concieved), its clear that they are Luke's story, whereas the prequels are Anakin's, and sequels are Rey's.

 

However, the point isn't who's story it is, the point is what is the flow of the story? Its a story that has a beginning (you can choose where to place it - in Episode I, II, the original Star Wars, or even Episode V for that matter) a sort-of middle and an end. Anything set after that end, even if it were a continuation of the Skywalker story or Luke's or Anakin's or whoever - is not going to form an organic whole with the other films.

 

The point is, no matter who any of the films are about, the cycle was perfectly complete without the sequel trilogy. Of course, one can enjoy the films, individually, as they're very well made. But to say in good concsience that they are part of one cycle or "saga" - not really, no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

more like, The Broke Jedi

 

You are so delusional. The theme parks and Episode 9 are going to rake in tons of money.   Star Wars still has mass appeal, and even people not thrilled with TLJ will visit the park because it's STAR WARS. 

 

 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

PR babble? Have people forgotten that reanimating the original spirit of Star Wars is exactly what Abrams' movie is so desperately trying to do?

 

I'd say he succeeded, too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.