Star Wars Disenchantment

John

31 minutes ago, John said:

Kelly Marie Tran, the actress who played Rose in TLJ, recently deleted all her posts from her Instagram account, due to months of harassment and vitriol she has received since the movie's release.

Imagine, you're a young actor/actress in your first big movie (a Star Wars movie, of all things), and after the movie's release, you are relentlessly harassed on social media by trolls who are, from what I've seen firsthand, often sexists and racists. I really feel bad for her. No one should ever have to go through something like this.

Very, very sad.

These "trolls" are just as flaky as the supposed snowflakes they claim to despise.  Parasites.

So Kennedy is being sent messages on her birthday that she should be sacked. Kelly Marie Tran has been suffering from online harrasment for months because she was in TLJ.

Star Wars fans are awful people, as it turns out.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So Kennedy is being sent messages on her birthday that she should be sacked. Kelly Marie Tran has been suffering from online harrasment for months because she was in TLJ.

Star Wars fans are awful people, as it turns out.

These Star Wars fans are horrid. I personally think of myself as a peaceful fan who likes relatively every movie to come out of the franchise, at least until 2022. After that, I might stop. 

These trolls are not true fans. They're just horrible people trashing the movies, their executives, and the actors. Strange how Tran didn't decide what Rose would do and people are blaming her. I didn't quite like her character but harassing Tran is plain nonsense.

I like TLJ, and I think that it's much better than TFA. Now...harass me, all you want.

"Star Wars is a hole", isn't that what they say? Pouring through you, down the drain. Fill me up, JWfan. I can take it.

Take me. Do it, now.

Harassing people online like that just flat out sucks.   

It's fine to have issues with what Disney is doing with Star Wars. It's even fine to be annoyed because you think they're pushing a political agenda. But to hound someone off social media with hate and vitriol is way, way past the red line. We're trying to have a society here. 

Words can't quite describe how much I loathe social media mobs.

1 minute ago, John said:

I'm sure that there are millions of Star Wars fan, who treat the cast and crew with respect, even if they hate the final product. The trouble is, it only takes one person, with one gun, and one bullet...:(

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

What in blazes is an incel?

Just looked it up (short for "involuntary celibate"), lump it in as a part of the Internet to really try to stay away from.

It is a bit frustrating that married couples are treated like the default human beings, while singles are treated like social pariahs simply because they choose not to create new future taxpayers and defy the church by living in sin.

Just now, Margo Channing said:

I don't get it. Why are people who can't find a significant other or are hopeless romantics suddenly bad people who should be avoided?

If I understand correctly, incel recently refers to people who think every other person is the biggest asshole in the world for not going for them while doing nothing to look presentable or come up with normal interesting topics to talk about.

I meant interesting to normal average people, not just for the very specific geek subset you love, for example. If you only talk about your favourite anime waifu and your audio setup on the first date while wearing dirty unfitting clothes, I don't think you have much of a right to call the girl a bitch for not wanting a second date.

Incel was invented by a lesbian in the nineties to describe how she was feeling at the time and then later it went through a really weird semantic evolution.

14 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

It is a bit frustrating that married couples are treated like the default human beings, while singles are treated like social pariahs simply because they choose not to create new future taxpayers and defy the church by living in sin.

One can be with people and still be anti-marriage I guess.

I think I'm, um, doing a good job of that. I don't like babies either.

(but I like kittens and rescue animals and oh god crazy cat lady here we come...)

1 minute ago, Brónach said:

One can be with people and still be anti-marriage I guess.

I meant how they're treated institutionally. The married couples/parents are treated as normal and well adjusted (and may benefit financially from their status depending on jurisdiction), while singles are written off as weirdos and there must be something wrong with them simply for being single, and the only way to break out of that rut is to find someone, anyone! And marry them. Then you'll achieve normaldom. Speaking generally here.

6 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I do find it kinda weird that the state would decide and somehow reward the particular structure of families.

It reminds me of when the Australian government was rolling out its carbon tax scheme, and people from certain tax brackets and marital status would receive annual returns. Turned out singles in no way benefited from the carbon tax's redistribution (even though they were the ones most likely to vote Labor or Greens), but "working families" would receive a shit load. Talk about vote grabs.

It's like on The Simpsons when Milhouse's mother leaves his dad, and the next day he gets the sack from work and his boss says "Kirk, crackers are a family food for happy families. Maybe single people eat crackers, we don't know. Frankly, we don't want to know. It's a market we can do without."

22 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I meant how they're treated institutionally. The married couples/parents are treated as normal and well adjusted (and may benefit financially from their status depending on jurisdiction), while singles are written off as weirdos and there must be something wrong with them simply for being single, and the only way to break out of that rut is to find someone, anyone! And marry them. Then you'll achieve normaldom. Speaking generally here.

President Trump hates singles!

Just now, Brónach said:

I do find it kinda weird that the state would decide and somehow reward the particular structure of families.

In a lot of countries, the population is stagnant or dwindling, mostly getting older, so people marrying and having children has to be encouraged somehow.

Just now, Holko said:

In a lot of countries, the population is stagnant or dwindling, mostly getting older, so people marrying and having children has to be encouraged somehow.

Take refugees instead!

My mum is gung ho about me finding a woman so I'll have someone to euthanise me when I'm too old and decrepit to decide for myself (yes, she said this). That's assuming youth-in-asia will be legal by then.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Well, we humans are an organism like any other; and the basic function of any organism is to reproduce itself, y'know...

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

I hope Mattress is proud of his little rebellion. 

What fucking losers. 

The buck stops with Kathleen Kennedy, who decides what films are green-lit and approves of a story/script before a film goes into production. Considering the films that have come out under her reign - and their reception, she obviously doesn't want (or even have a clue) of what will please the fans... and make the most money. As the first movie, a safe reboot (A New Hope clone) with likable characters, The Force Awakens was going to be a hit regarless. Fine. Rogue One (an entertaining, passable film) had too many (thinly written) characters, but they were diverse! The Last Jedi divided the fandom. Many fans will never forgive her for that... or ever watch a Rian Johnson film again - certainly not more Star Wars films directed by him... that strategically announced immediately before TLJ was released.

The upset fans are proud. Admittedly, we didn't expect to make this much of difference. But we now know how important we are to this franchise. Our interest and money should not be taken for granted. I don't care if Solo is a watchable action movie with the Star Wars licence. It does not do Han Solo's character justice - the movie's most important job. And to make matters worse, it was produced and released after Han Solo had been killed in a previous film. After the insult that was The Last Jedi, upset fans refused to see Solo, which will result in its financial loss. Money speaks. We'll see what happens. For Disney (who's stock has taken a hit over Solo's failure, which might affect their acquisition of Fox), the only logical action to take is to fire Kathleen Kennedy or ask her to step down as soon as possible. Then with a clean slate, trust can be re-built.

On 01/06/2018 at 7:51 PM, Demodex said:

So women are thin characters?

It didn't seem forced to me. It was refreshing to get something different.

You must have been really hurt by a woman to feel this way.  You are an incel, aren't you?  😄

I knew I had heard that term recently. Apologize immediately, or I'll be ignoring your posts.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He probably thinks Kennedy raped his childhood memories.

My childhood memories are just fine. In recent years, my appreciation of the OT and PT has only been improved.