Star Wars Disenchantment

John

26 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

They could, but as a sequel trilogy it was inevitable that it should have the same effect it ended up having: taking the events of the previous films and turning them into a footnote.

It’s not inevitable, as anyone who has read the original sequel trilogy (Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn Trilogy from the 1990s) can attest. Pitch-perfect characters, pitch-perfect universe, pitch-perfect story, pitch-perfect Force.

On 25/03/2022 at 10:07 AM, JTW said:

As I’ve said, imho the Star Wars Saga had a perfect ending with RETURN OF THE JEDI. I don’t care about anything Disney are producing. 

It seems you didn't understand anything I said - or insist on denying facts, reality, and logic - because you didn't like or expect what you got out of the prequels and sequels... and because you like the ending to Return of the Jedi  and think it should be the ending to Saga... or the ending to a story that only needed one trilogy (the OT) to be complete. This is a very short-sighted and selfish approach... and a mistaken one.

The points I raised about the prequels and overall narrative - and the yet unanswered questions - are extremely relevant to the reality of all this. But since this is a John Williams message board, perhaps you should try a bit harder when considering the clues within the music. Once again, I'll present some of them:

Kylo Ren's Theme  starts with five notes in a row from The Emperor's Theme.

Rey's Theme  starts with three notes in a row from The Force Theme, features its chordal structure, Dies Irae, and minor thirds (like The Emperor's Theme).

Dies Irae can be found within the Star Wars Main ThemeAcross The Stars, and other themes and cues throughout the scores.

These connections are present, regardless if you initially thought they were intentional and meaningful.

Considering the musical genius of John Williams, we must come to the conclusion that he composed these themes (and other cues) with intent, completely aware of what he was doing. Anyone who thinks this is a matter of coincidence doesn't understand the fundamentals of music theory composition and/or doesn't appreciate the rare composing skill of Mr. Williams.

These very real musical connections appropriately link to the events, character arcs, and overall plots of this grand story, which included the return of Emperor Palpatine... two episodes after Rey and Kylo's themes were introduced.

This is a matter of reality. Truly consider the implications: There was a master plan for the story, of which John Williams was told... and he composed the themes and scores accordingly.

On 25/03/2022 at 10:29 AM, Chen G. said:

Not least, the greed of fans who simply wanted "more" without realizing what that entails.

As far as the main-line narrative, lore, and themes go, I don't think it matters very much to Lucasfilm what the fans/audience wants. The fans will get what is necessary for the story to be told, many substantive clues, and perhaps some distractions to keep them on their toes or - if they failed to pick up on the clues - on the far side of the galaxy.

On 25/03/2022 at 1:00 PM, JTW said:

Not even Lucas realized what he had done when he sold Star Wars to Disney and made Kathleen Kennedy President of Lucasfilm...

I mean they could have made three good Star Wars films... They literally had infinite resources and infinite possibilities at their disposal. 

You're right about Disney's infinite resources. George Lucas even stated that the mega company's resources was one of the main reasons he sold Lucasfilm to them instead of another.

So why did the story continue as it did? In his published 2020 Star Wars: Fascinating Facts book, Pablo Hidalgo revealed that the story of the sequel trilogy was based on a treatment that George Lucas left the company in 2012.

George Lucas trusted his close associate (of 32 years) Kathleen Kennedy to carry on his story... and for good reason. "Good is a point of view..."

In 2015, Lucas said of Star Wars: 'It's a story about families... fathers, sons, grandfathers. It shows how the mistakes of one generation are left for the next generation to deal with.'

On 25/03/2022 at 1:40 PM, Chen G. said:

They could, but as a sequel trilogy it was inevitable that it should have the same effect it ended up having: taking the events of the previous films and turning them into a footnote.

Not true. The events of the previous films led to the events of the later ones. Appropriate and worthy narrative/thematic reasons exist that explain why things transpire as they do in Star Wars... a reason why the Saga had to continue after Episode VI... and why it will continue beyond IX. The audience just hasn't figured it out yet.

6 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

It’s not inevitable, as anyone who has read the original sequel trilogy (Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn Trilogy from the 1990s) can attest. Pitch-perfect characters, pitch-perfect universe, pitch-perfect story, pitch-perfect Force.

And a pitch perfect continuation of the story in Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future.  

Star Wars fans would be better served by reading Timothy Zahn's newest Thrawn novels: volumes that are part of the official canon, unlike the EU 'Legends' books that are not canon... nor did George Lucas consider them part of his Star Wars canon.

Avoiding reality will not change it.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 22/05/2022 at 9:27 PM, Pellaeon said:

Serious question. Is the title, The Last Jedi, an allusion to The Last Ringbearer?

"When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be."    - Yoda

On 21/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

The problem is, there's nothing special about Star Wars any more. The magic is gone. It's just another scripted show. Even when it's good it's just...OK.

...  what they're producing feels watered down and uninspired. It's time to just go away and let other imaginations dream it all up again.

And when they do come back, it needs to be b/c there's a compelling reason to (i.e. a great story & characters) beyond just creating "content" to fill streaming hours.

Of course, none of this will happen, because, yeah, there's too many hours to fill, and a creative incentive alone isn't strong enough.  As long as they continue to serve dog food and fans pretend it's filet mignon, we're stuck with what we get, and are expected to enjoy it.  Actually, enjoying it is optional, just watch.  Come to think of it, watching isn't strictly necessary, just subscribe!

Despite your current displeasure with Star Wars, could you fathom that Lucasfilm knows what there doing and have something special planned... that all of their Star Wars projects are leading somewhere worthwhile?

54 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Then who knows what Abrams was smoking when he went down the Palpatine/Final Order/Force Dyad/who-the-hell-knows-what's-going-on-anymore route in TROS.

Given the supremely high stakes - STAR WARS now owned by Disney - it's more logical that sequel trilogy Executive Producer JJ Abrams did  know what the hell he was doing. But rather than confirm anything specific, he has left his works up for interpretation... and, regarding the story and themes of the Saga, has remained as coy as George Lucas in the years after the OT.

To deceive his audience, I suppose Abrams could have lied about the contents of his trilogy. But I think the films alone did the trick.

I think it is noteworthy that unlike The Force Awakens, The Rise of Skywalker is not graced with Abrams' director's commentary. Now, I'm not saying he had a terrible time making it or that he disowns it. But I do think it was clearly a movie made in a mad rush and the result is exactly that.

I am not a big SW fan but I have friends who are who really hated TROS. Even as someone who isn't immersed in the lore of the SW world, it was easy to tell that TROS was just terrible. The final line where Rey says she's a Skywalker (when the whole movie does a storyline about her being a Palpatine) was just so funny and ironic.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

The final line where Rey says she's a Skywalker (when the whole movie does a storyline about her being a Palpatine) was just so funny and ironic.

You're not wrong.  "It's ironic." - Supreme Chancellor Palpatine

4 hours ago, Mattris said:

Despite your current displeasure with Star Wars, could you fathom that Lucasfilm knows what there doing and have something special planned... that all of their Star Wars projects are leading somewhere worthwhile?

Like the firing and burning at the stake of Kathleen Kennedy?

If anyone wants to examine my head, I'm open to the exercise.  I love the Rise of Skywalker.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm childish, less analytical than most here (ie. stupider), or if it is I who's the smart one and you are all missing out on something fun because ...reasons.  

18 minutes ago, Andy said:

If anyone wants to examine my head, I'm open to the exercise.  I love the Rise of Skywalker.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm childish, less analytical than most here (ie. stupider), or if it is I who's the smart one and you are all missing out on something fun because ...reasons.  

I mean I guess that's how I and a lot of others feel who loved the prequel films right from the beginning and never stopped loving them.  I guess I'm just now in the opposite camp on the sequels (yes, I retroactively pretty much hate all three after all's said and done).

1 hour ago, Andy said:

There are more of us Andy. More of us!

10 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The Last Jedi is probably the least political Star Wars film (or maybe second, after TROS).

That’s funny.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Johnson at least tried something interesting, unlike Abrams (who just glossed over the politics and let viewers fill in the gaps). The idea that people were funding an ongoing war on both sides, purely to line their own pockets, had lots of potential for an epic final film... alas.

That was cool but the horse animal rights scene was Jar Jar level.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

It seems like a lot of people have issues with the content of TROS and I have to say that for the most part I don’t.  What turns me off completely about TROS is the form - it feels like a movie that never slows down to let you and your brain sit with any of it.  

I liked it better on a second viewing - I think the worst disappointment of it for me was that it was coming off of the highs of TFA and TLJ.  I was really hoping it would maintain quality.  Removed from that disappointment a bit, I do think it’s fine (although at this point the “least” of any live action Star Wars since 2015).

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I liked TROS. Like TFA, far from perfect, but I think it was probably as good a conclusion to the flawed ST that they could salvage after Johnson burned it all down with his ill-conceived "subverting expectations" in TLJ.

What a clown that guy is.

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The Last Jedi is probably the least political Star Wars film (or maybe second, after TROS).

Yeah...no.

45 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Even more political than an entire trilogy that often takes place in or around an actual senate building? 🤔

Let's put another way, and then I'll leave it at that, before we wade too deeply into these waters and run afoul of the prohibition on politics. What do you think is more inherently political, all George's stuff about the Galactic Senate, or Rian Johnson's little murder-mystery Knives Out?

34 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Let's put another way, and then I'll leave it at that, before we wade too deeply into these waters and run afoul of the prohibition on politics. What do you think is more inherently political, all George's stuff about the Galactic Senate, or Rian Johnson's little murder-mystery Knives Out?

At the risk of looking like an uncultured swine, I must admit that I have not yet seen Knives Out. :lol:

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Very flawed comparison, as I would think there's a great difference between the way interpersonal relationships between the elite and the small can pan out, versus the literal rise of fascism per a dictator manipulating multiple parties for his own gain. I guess one could be perceived as a specific brand of ideology that would ruffle the feathers of some groups, but there's more of a human element present that makes it only really a part of the narrative than the main takeaway (especially when much of the cast do have their distinct motivations despite what ties them all together).

Of course, because of the way SW is presented, it's definitely something you pick up on more later on, rather than it being the thing it immediately hits you with. I guess in that respect, it's a more universal product, and yet KO is still primarily about the whodunit than whatever details it gives to some of the characters.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I am virulently, aggressively anti-JJ.  He sucks and everything he's ever made sucks (ok I'm exaggerating but only slightly!)

Hey now wait minute, that's unfair!...there's....and then there's...and don't forget...

tenor.gif

Nah, never mind. You're probably right.

On 23/11/2022 at 6:57 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

I liked TROS. Like TFA, far from perfect, but I think it was probably as good a conclusion to the flawed ST that they could salvage after Johnson burned it all down with his ill-conceived "subverting expectations" in TLJ.

Count me surprised!

I loathed The Rise of Skywalker. Well, except when I'm drunk, then its a damn hoot! I mean, if you derived some enjoyment from it, that's great, but I couldn't.

Even though I think some of Johnson's choices were... less than organic, shall we say...I think its was perfectly possible to keep going from where he left off; and I actually think JJ Abrams tried: he pays-off the Force connection thing, he pays-off (even though it comes across as lip-service) Hux begrudging and ultimately underming Ren, he pays-off Leia giving the reins to Poe.

Beyond the nonesensical plotting, the soapiness of the whole thing and the dubious morals of the film, its really just the pace that kills it for me: I've never seen a film paced quite like that. It was all just a blur.

On 23/11/2022 at 5:00 AM, Chen G. said:

I think it is noteworthy that unlike The Force Awakens, The Rise of Skywalker is not graced with Abrams' director's commentary.

Neither was TFA's theatrical BD release.

My favorite wasted idea from the sequels is that Luke and Lando used to be searching for wayfinder but the trail went cold. If I were making the sequels episode 7 would have been set 10 years earlier than 8/9. The empire would still be suppressed by the rebels (continuing their victory in RotJ), Luke and Lando would be searching for Sith artifacts, and also have scenes with Han and Leia still together with young Kylo Ren. Scenes with Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando together would have been soooo nice to see in the sequels! Luke would have built his new jedi temple and be training new students. Then, Kylo gets brainwashed by Snoke and burns down Luke's temple and kills the students, and ends with Luke going into hiding and Snoke/first order gaining control of the galaxy. 

Rey could have just been a student that survives or something instead of coming from a deserted sand planet (We've seen this twice before). She later goes searching for Luke, maybe even following some of the same trail he and Lando did...

@greenturnedblue  What you would have done with Episode VII wouldn't have followed the cyclical nature of the trilogies. Each one featured a new generation of characters, with the featured protagonist introduced at the beginning of the trilogy: a young person from a sand planet who sought to become a Jedi amidst a galactic conflict. (Perhaps there's a reason the same things kept happening every 30 years, or so.)

8 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Scenes with Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando together would have been soooo nice to see in the sequels!

Sure. But certain inclusions like this wouldn't have supported the narrative and themes of the Saga. The story comes first - not the characters, not necessarily the progression of events the audience wants or expects.

BTW, all of the events you described have been told throughout the newer Star Wars novels and comics.

On 23/11/2022 at 9:32 AM, Disco Stu said:

I mean I guess that's how I and a lot of others feel who loved the prequel films right from the beginning and never stopped loving them. 

THIS YOU?

On 30/06/2017 at 9:37 AM, Disco Stu said:

Also, why should I care if Lucas is a nice guy?  That has nothing to do with the quality of his work.  And yes, I can admire his ambition while thinking he made real shitty movies that I don't want to watch ever again.  

10 hours ago, Mattris said:

It had to be paced as such because Rey and the Resistance had only 18 hours until the Sith fleet would have began their attack on the galaxy.

Other than that one ship that left Exegol much earlier to destroy Kijimi, because... uhh, reasons.

I mean, why send out the entire fleet to destroy the galaxy when you can send out just one ship and leave the rest of your gigantic fleet floating in the planet's atmosphere for 18 hours, vulnerable to attack from the Resistance?

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

@greenturnedblue  What you would have done with Episode VII wouldn't have followed the cyclical nature of the trilogies. Each one featured a new generation of characters, with the featured protagonist introduced at the beginning of the trilogy: a young person from a sand planet who sought to become a Jedi amidst a galactic conflict. (Perhaps there's a reason the same things kept happening every 30 years, or so.)

Sure. But certain inclusions like this wouldn't have supported the narrative and themes of the Saga. The story comes first - not the characters, not necessarily the progression of events the audience wants or expects.

BTW, all of the events you described have been told throughout the newer Star Wars novels and comics.

Devils advocate: the 'cyclical nature of the movies' is BS (imo), the new protagonist from the sand planet with humble beginnings trope has already been done in the OT and PT already, there is no need to play that card ad nauseum when there are plenty of other storytelling techniques.

You say the story comes first not the characters, and then right after say the events I describe have been portrayed in books and comics. Am I missing something? So the story I describe is worth telling. And, if the books and comics you are talking about came out after the movies, I would consider it the story groups attempt to morph the hodgepodge of plot points in the films into some kind of 'bigger picture' narrative.

Fans shouldnt have to read books and comics to follow along with the basic plot of the saga

25 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Other than that one ship that left Exegol much earlier to destroy Kijimi, because... uhh, reasons.

Do you not know why that one ship left Exegol to destroy Kijimi?

25 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I mean, why send out the entire fleet to destroy the galaxy when you can send out just one ship and leave the rest of your gigantic fleet floating in the planet's atmosphere for 18 hours, vulnerable to attack from the Resistance?

Why, indeed. What purpose did the gigantic fleet serve?

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Not only that, this massive fleet of super destroyers is left completely useless without this navigational beacon, the space equivalent of not being able to find your way out of the parking lot

42 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Devils advocate: the 'cyclical nature of the movies' is BS (imo), the new protagonist from the sand planet with humble beginnings trope has already been done in the OT and PT already, there is no need to play that card ad nauseum when there are plenty of other storytelling techniques.

Whether you like it or not, that "trope" is a cornerstone of the Saga. George Lucas has been very clear about it: "It's like poetry; they rhyme."  "It's a story about generations."

If the sequel trilogy had started or progressed differently than the other trilogies, it would have been implied that something in the narrative or themes had changed. This wasn't the case.

You say the story comes first not the characters, and then right after say the events I describe have been portrayed in books and comics. Am I missing something? So the story I describe is worth telling. And, if the books and comics you are talking about came out after the movies, I would consider it the story groups attempt to morph the hodgepodge of plot points in the films into some kind of 'bigger picture' narrative.

Fans shouldnt have to read books and comics to follow along with the basic plot of the saga

I'm referring to the main-line story of the episodic Saga. The other canon material is not required viewing/reading but is made to support the narrative and themes of the Saga.

It should be obvious that the release order of the books and comics was arranged so as not to spoil things in the movies... and that the Star Wars canon is expanded in an appropriate order/manner for the benefit of the telling of the overall 'bigger picture' narrative.

Assumptions from the Star Wars audience that the Lucasfilm Story Group is after-the-fact 'hodgepodging' plot points across the (many dozens of volumes of) canon will prove to have been a gross underestimation.

Throughout my Star Wars reading/viewings, I've picked up on far too many interwoven clues to even remotely fathom that Lucasfilm doesn't have a grand plan to work from and toward.

No one said fans had to. But these books and comics were created, nonetheless. Maybe for good reason? Perhaps the Star Wars fans (fanatics?) should be more interested in the story and not see reading - and thinking - as such a chore. Perhaps such fans have lazily interpreted the story and aren't  following the basic plot of the saga, and these additional canon volumes were made to help them.

I appreciate your perspective regarding the whole 'its like poetry, it rhymes' recycling of plot points, I just would have preferred a fresh plot. 

I also think certain important events like Kylo being discovered by Snoke, his jedi training, killing the other students and burning Luke's temple down is too integral to the overarching story to be delegated to secondary media instead of the films themselves (and not just 30 seconds of flashback). Even Palpatine's directives post RotJ were left to the video game Battlefront 2. What was it called again, operation cinder? Should this critical part of the story be part of the primary media? Not according to Disney canon. 

With such obvious examples like the Rise of Skywalker novelization trying to retcon Palpy into being a 'failed clone' of the real Sheev after the disastrous reception of that plot point in IX, I find it hard to believe that in some instances certain plot elements introduced in the books were not introduced to 'fix' issues created in the movies. Not only that, fans now have to read the book just to follow along with the 'complete' plot of the movie they just watched. 

I have other issues with the sequels that do not involve the planning or plot elements. Like Rey's yellow lightsaber she builds completely offscreen and ignites once for 10 seconds and doesn't do anything with. So many cool lore opportunities. How did she learn how to even build it? was Luke's ghost helping her? The sacred texts? Where did she get the crystal from? Why is it yellow? Is it something to do with her parents? Psych, doesn't matter, because the movie, and the entire trilogy, is over

This is all my personal opinion and I appreciate alternate perspectives

20 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Throughout my Star Wars reading/viewings, I've picked up on far too many interwoven clues to even remotely fathom that Lucasfilm doesn't have a grand plan to work from and toward.

78BD88AC-175F-4A4F-8C86-07A1304C9E76.gif

You jest, but I think the very reason people are all up in Lucasfilm business for "not having a roadmap" is precisely because Lucas was telling people for decades - with absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever - that such a roadmap does in fact exist.