Star Wars Disenchantment

John

43 minutes ago, TGP said:

This attempt at correcting me does not itself make sense.  SAD.  Plus, there is such a thing as conversational writing style which reflects pauses or lack thereof, speed and emphasis, etcetera.  Proper punctuation style which isn't conveyed verbally, like quotation punctuation, isn't really covered by that.

No, you see, that was the point that you're too dense to have gotten apparently.  I'm dicking around with little mental expenditure, and it's amusing.  You're wasting your life arguing about the politics of kids movies.  Clearer?

Nice try. I called you out correctly on your incorrect use of punctuation. No need to start that nonsense. Trying to distract me from my substantive comments, were you?

The obvious response is, you're "wasting your life" too. At least I'm taking the time to explain my thoughts - not just name-calling.

33 minutes ago, TGP said:

We do not ask for what useful purpose the birds do sing.  I'm also sad to say that we are the trolls - he is all too real.

Now we agree.

28 minutes ago, Holko said:

And you wonder why people call you manbabies. It's been 3 years to the death of a fictional character, move the fuck on.

I've moved on. Some haven't. I was just proving a reason why some people stayed home for Solo.

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'd be interested to know who @Mattris is...or, rather, was. Apparently, he/she joined in 2002, which means that they have (presumably) made many posts, and is well known to JWfan. Why did they change their name/avatar?

What do they have to hide? Just wondering.

I was one of the original members of JWfan. I recently changed my screen name but kept the same avatar. My old name was similar. Anyone care to guess what it was?

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

I reckon we all feel ashamed and in need of a shower after even looking at this thread.  If we're lucky Jay will toss it in the incinerator.

This thread would only need to be considered for the trash because of the swath of comments like yours.

4 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Nice try. I called you out correctly on your incorrect punctuation.

You really didn't, though - you edited your initially incorrect post, and, as I explained clearly, what I did was a question of verbal style while your error was in fact an error that can't be chalked up to verbal style.  This attempt at obfuscation to make it seem like you were in the right is rather pathetic.

The obvious response is, you're "wasting your life" too. At least I'm taking the time to explain my thoughts - not just name-call.

Thing is, I'm not.  I'll be off to bed soon and forget about all this, light JWFan banter as it is.  I somehow think what you discuss here, though, is seldom far from your mind.  Now that's a waste.

5 hours ago, TGP said:

You really didn't, though - you edited your initially incorrect post, and, as I explained clearly, what I did was a question of verbal style while your error was in fact an error that can't be chalked up to verbal style.  This attempt at obfuscation to make it seem like you were in the right is rather pathetic.

Thing is, I'm not.  I'll be off to bed soon and forget about all this, light JWFan banter as it is.  I somehow think what you discuss here, though, is seldom far from your mind.  Now that's a waste.

I did not edit my "initially incorrect post". I left my period outside of the quotes. Your sentence structure was factually incorrect: "I'm not doing anything besides name calling, it's entertaining." has two subjects: "I'm" and "name calling". They have to be separated by a semi-colon or be separate sentences. "This attempt at obfuscation to make it seem like you were in the right is rather pathetic."

Our back and forth could be considered time-wasting. But your name-calling and grammar correcting is, by definition, the behavior of a troll.

13 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I was one of the original members of JWfan. I recently changed my screen name but kept the same avatar. My old name was similar. Anyone care to guess what it was?

Mattmane. When you create a new username, your old ones are automatically saved on your profile.

I did not edit my "initially incorrect post". I left my period outside of the quotes. Your sentence structure was factual incorrect

Not that post, the other post!  Could you at least keep up, and stop making so many typos yourself, if you're gonna argue about this stuff?

9 hours ago, Mattris said:

"Didn't gather enough interest" is putting it lightly. It's a Star Wars film that's going to loose money. This is not a fluke. It failed because

... because they spent 400 million to make a movie about more niche topics to be released while the Avengers and Deadpool 2 are still in theaters?

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Not that post, the other post!  Could you at least keep up, and stop making so many typos yourself, if you're gonna argue about this stuff?

You started this punctuation nonsense. I will keep it up. Please tell me, which post were you referring to when you said, "By the way periods and other punctuation go inside quotation marks." ?

6 hours ago, Brónach said:

... because they spent 400 million to make a movie about more niche topics to be released while the Avengers and Deadpool 2 are still in theaters?

A Han Solo story featuring Lando and Chewie is a "niche topic"? I would say that Solo's release date is not even in my 'Top 10 Reasons' it failed to make money. In approximate order:

1.  People are holding-out for Episode 9.

2.  Fans' disenchantment after The Last Jedi

3.  Unconvincing writing / acting from of the title character

4.  Mediocre reviews / ratings / word of mouth among fans that the film wasn't that good

5.  Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson are still employed at Lucasfilm... and plan to make more movies

6.  Many statements/insults from Lucasfilm that failed to address the fans' concerns/complaints regarding the Saga films

7.  Mark Hamill admitted that he "fundamentally disagreed with nearly everything that was written" for Luke in TLJ

8.  Not many people wanted a Han Solo movie so soon after his sad/shocking death in The Force Awakens

9.  SJW droid (droid rights!)

10. Lando could be pansexual

I altered my list slightly. Keep in mind it's reasons Solo failed to make money - not just reasons "people didn't see it." In your opinion, what are the other reasons why the movie will loose money?

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think Mattris might be the real-life incarnation of the "Almost Politically Correct Redneck" meme guy.

111.jpg

Their "disadvantage", is that they have to live on the same planet, as men do.

I'm still perplexed by the idea that people are still mourning Han Solo. If any of them are Game of Thrones fans they're going to be scarred for life. 

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson are still employed at Lucasfilm

This is an absurd reason to not see a Star Wars movie.  If it's true these people need therapy. 

27 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I'm still perplexed by the idea that people are still mourning Han Solo.

Everybody figured it before even seeing the movie.

1.  It's not Episode 9.

Lucasfilm is counting on this, obviously.

10. Lando could be pansexual

This isn't even in the movie!

If anything, trying to capitalize on the concept would turn queer people off, and we're not a particularly studied demographic when it comes to marketing or selling fiction to us, if at all.

(There's a thing going on with Donald Glover and ascenced fanon but obviously it doesn't change the marketing of the movies...)

53 minutes ago, Richard said:

Their "disadvantage", is that they have to live on the same planet, as men do.

I see we're dabbling in misandry now, do we?

5 hours ago, Mattris said:

If Rey is "a vergeance in the Force" like Anakin, what lazy, unimaginative writing.

I know!  It's like building a 2nd Death Star!

@Mattris, you don't happen to have a YouTube channel where you talk about Star Wars a lot, do you?  Just curious.  I saw a video that totally reminded me of you.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You don't think it's an interesting concept?

I always thought the introduction of the concept of miraculous birth into Star Wars was way too on-the-nose, so no.

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I always thought the introduction of the concept of miraculous birth into Star Wars was way too on-the-nose, so no.

ROTS introduced the suggestion that this birth may have been engineered by the Sith though.

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

I'm still perplexed by the idea that people are still mourning Han Solo. If any of them are Game of Thrones fans they're going to be scarred for life. 

This is an absurd reason to not see a Star Wars movie.  If it's true these people need therapy. 

Han Solo is one of the most cherished characters in film history, and he was recently killed. I'm sure some Games of Thrones deaths are more gruesome, but those characters pale in comparison in terms of overall importance.

"These people" don't need therapy. And they may not be literally "mourning". But what's actually happening is that many are choosing not to support the bullshit that Lucasfilm is shoveling out.

29 minutes ago, Demodex said:

@Mattris, you don't happen to have a YouTube channel where you talk about Star Wars a lot, do you?  Just curious.  I saw a video that totally reminded me of you.

No, sorry. I can direct you to a few good channels, though.

18 minutes ago, Mattris said:

No, sorry. I can direct you to a few good channels, though.

By good you mean they agree with you?  Hell no. Thanks anyway. 

47 minutes ago, Demodex said:

By good you mean they agree with you?  Hell no. Thanks anyway. 

I agree with most of what they have to say. I thought you wanted to me to "keep arguing with" you. These channels could help you to understand the position of those that are learning more and communicating Lucasfilm's seemingly endless missteps and failures.

Instead of determining whether or not we lose our shit on Star Wars on the idea of feminism, can we please talk about the definition of feminism, and why a "feminist agenda" isn't a bad thing?  Or is that beyond the pale at JWFAN?

8 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Bon Chipman is likely the only sensible guy on there.

Is he that guy who talks really, really fast? I often find his analyses intriguing but shit I wish he'd slow the fuck down.

Just now, mstrox said:

Instead of determining whether or not we lose our shit on Star Wars on the idea of feminism, can we please talk about the definition of feminism, and why a "feminist agenda" isn't a bad thing?  Or is that beyond the pale at JWFAN?

ALL MEN MUST DIE

I do think parts of the casual filmgoing public were also dissappointed by The Last Jedi, to the point that they weren't going to see another Star Wars movie premiering just a few months afterwards.

There's plenty wrong in The Last Jedi, even with all the fan-complaints aside. Michael Tucker said it very well: "I felt unenthused. The Force Awakens left me excited for more Star Wars. I had to force myself to watch The Last Jedi a second time." The same is true for me.

16 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Is he that guy who talks really, really fast? I often find his analyses intriguing but shit I wish he'd slow the fuck down.

He talks so fast it's funny to me (at first I was simply disconcerted)

25 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Instead of determining whether or not we lose our shit on Star Wars on the idea of feminism, can we please talk about the definition of feminism, and why a "feminist agenda" isn't a bad thing? 

Oh please let's not.

7 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The Last Jedi isn't without flaws, and I was disappointed by the film AND the score, but not to the levels of throwing a hissy fit over the legacy of the franchise.

I firmly believe that most fans think that Star Wars is in the wrong hands and on the wrong track. We are choosing to voice our complaints and cease all spending on Lucasfilm products. Hopefully Disney will listen and do something soon to right the ship.

Another aspect to consider is that many people had written off Star Wars after TPM and AotC, or at least gotten used to the fact that their fandom would be selective. TFA had the monumental task of getting everyone back on board, and, by and large it succeeded—many people are along for the ride. For some, though, it’s all too easy to lump any movie they don’t like in with the preexisting list of movies-they-don’t-like (or movies-that-don’t-exist… just like KotCS).

Another point is that I had heard people state that Solo was a bad idea for years before the film’s release. I don’t know why—for me it’s a pretty solid concept.

I still bought all the merchandise and shit, at this point I've become more a fan of the filmmaking as opposed to the film!

Mattress me old pal, I think making all these bloody spin-offs is like milking a bull, there ain't much to milk if at all. 

12 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I firmly believe that most fans think that Star Wars is in the wrong hands and on the wrong track. We are choosing to voice our complaints and cease all spending on Lucasfilm products. Hopefully Disney will listen and do something soon to right the ship.

Christopher Nolan for Episode IX!

But seriously, Solo was a failure because people have Star Wars fatigue, not for ideological aggravations.  They just were not interested in what was, in essence, an unnecessary film, no matter how good or bad it was. 

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

can we please talk about the definition of feminism, and why a "feminist agenda" isn't a bad thing?  Or is that beyond the pale at JWFAN?

Feminism is a none-issue, certainly in movies.

If you believe at all in the values of western democracy, you are a classical feminist. If however you believe that workplaces, professions (and, to the point, casts in films) ought be populated by women proportionally to their part in the general population - than you're not really a feminist, you've just been misinformed about western values. That is all.

The latter is really yet to become an issue with the movie-making buisness, so I don't get it as a complaint against Disney's Star Wars: a female protagonist (and Rey is a fine example of one) is not the same as a 50/50 male/female cast in what is essentially an action movie.