Williams' film music is taught at Liverpool University!

filmmusic

• 2 years later...

I was worried the course description would say something like:

the sexist, racist, and classist elements of his music.will be explored within the context of post- war American imperialism. We will examine how the backlash against the fight for the rights of the LGBT community , radical feminism, and racial oppression, were underlying themes of the STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES trilogy. Special emphasis will be placed on Third World musical styles that were suppressed by William's reactionary embrace of European romanticism.

INSTRUCTOR: Thor Haga

48 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I was worried the course description would say something like:

the sexist, racist, and classist elements of his music.will be explored within the context of post- war American imperialism. We will examine how the backlash against the fight for the rights of the LGBT community , radical feminism, and racial oppression, were underlying themes of the STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES trilogy. Special emphasis will be placed on Third World musical styles that were suppressed by William's reactionary embrace of European romanticism.

INSTRUCTOR: Thor Haga

Ha, ha. That sounds more like something Adorno would concoct back in the day. "Birdie sings, music sings" and all that.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thank you! I haven't heard about those books before. I'll check them out!

Wow, I knew of Hooper's musicological work, but not that he taught a Williams course!

I now know of at least three institutions that have dedicated Williams undergraduate classes: Liverpool, M.I.T. (taught by the wonderful Marty Marks), and Tufts by me. I suspect there's quite a lot more out there.

3 hours ago, Biodome said:

I know your reply is satire, but I wouldn't mind learning something like that in general. The way ideology is reflected in and reinforced by cultural phenomena, such as film music, would be a fascinating subject to study.

Yep, satire aside, this kind of critical approach has value too. I tried to cover both appreciation, historical contextualization, and evaluation in my Williams course this past spring (though COVID interfered with all of it to a certain extent). Hopefully I'll get a chance to teach it again soon, it was quite popular. I think there even may be a few of my pupils who now lurk JWfan!:

Tufts MUS-55

The Music of John Williams and Star Wars

A critical evaluation of the music of John Williams. Emphasis is placed Williams's eclectic style and the wider cultural and social currents in which his music participates. The composer’s engagement with history and politics is given special attention, notably through collaborations with directors like Spielberg and Stone and connections to local musical institutions. Second half of course dedicated to the scores for the Star Wars franchise, focusing on topics of thematic construction, myth, and gender and racial representation. No prior background in music required; essential musicological concepts introduced through direct study of Williams's music.

7 hours ago, Biodome said:

I know your reply is satire, but I wouldn't mind learning something like that in general.

Only barely.

There is a ton of writings out there that are IDENTICAL to what I wrote.

Buyer beware.

Screenshot_2020-08-19-10-49-48.png

6 hours ago, Biodome said:

.read them yourself! :P

That is cruel-

4 hours ago, Falstaft said:

......historical contextualization, and evaluation .....

Tufts MUS-55

The Music of John Williams and Star Wars

A critical evaluation of the music of John Williams. Emphasis is placed Williams's eclectic style and the wider cultural and social currents in which his music participates. The composer’s engagement with history and politics is focusing on topics of thematic construction, myth, and gender and racial representation.

See, I told you I wasn't joking!

😁

I doubt Williams has ever thought of ANYTHING like what you study.

Maybe someone like Wagner did.

But....but....

Williams is not the source, the director and screenwriter espouse " philosophy " or " ideology"

Ascribing intentionality, conscious or unconscious , to the composer  is ........

B.s..

Nothing personal.

😊

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd rather study algebra.

I'll assign SHARK to watch the toilet vid.

Have your ' report' on my desk Friday morning, PST.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd rather study algebra.

I'd rather watch a BAD Terence Malick film#😅

New book coming this fall:

The Music of John Williams: How one composer perpetuated white, male Patriarchy in the films of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg

Published by Haga Press

😉

10 hours ago, Biodome said:

I won't indulge in your own laziness. Go and read them yourself! :P

I tried using my voice- to text option.

It crashed!