Meeting John Williams

tmarps

Hey everyone,

What’s your best “meeting John Williams” story? How many of you guys have met the maestro? How did you manage to meet him? Did you sneak into his dressing room post-show? Did you bump into him on the street? What did you talk to him about? What would you talk to him about if you got the chance!? Share share share!! 

(Side note - never met him lol)

6 minutes ago, tmarps said:

What would you talk to him about if you got the chance!?

I would shake his hand and say thank you. Thank you for making cinema better, Thank you for being the person to bring probably the most joy into my life overall. Thank you for still going incredibly strong at this age.

Though unless I win the lottery, go to the Vienna concert and wander around there all day, I'm not likely to get any opportunities ever.

I've never met John Williams, and I've come to terms with the fact that I never will. But at least I've seen him live twice (three times, come October), and I've seen him relatively up close -- especially at the Boston concert in 2014, both outside the stage entrance and during the concert where I was sitting on the first row. I can live with that.

But of my Top 10 living film composers, he's the ONLY one I haven't met. :(

7 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

My meeting with him, if it even could be called as such, was very brief, practically no interaction whatsoever.

About five years ago, John Williams conducted the San Francisco Symphony, and I bought tickets ASAP. The day of, I dragged my friend around town as I looked to find a gift for the man who was such a profound influence on my life. Eventually I found what I was looking for: a beautiful book of tree photography.

Later that night, after the concert, I dashed to the dressing room area, but was stopped by an usher. She refused to let me through, and so I asked if she'd promise that she would deliver my gift to John Williams. She said yes, and took the book. Out of my hands both literally and figuratively, my friend and I went outside, where some fans were gathered outside to possibly meet him.

Eventually, a car drove out, with our beloved Maestro inside. He waved to us all, then his car drove on into the quiet, empty streets of late-night San Francisco. 

Did he get the book? I don't know. Maybe the usher just told me that to shut me up. But five years, all I can hope was that she kept her word.

Beyond the book itself, I really hope he was able to read this message I wrote for him inside the front cover of the book:

IMAG0447_BURST006.jpg

And what a brilliant Book Thief we got!!!

How do we know the usher didn't keep it? She's probably a lover of trees and this book was her dream come true!

Finally, someone gave me a book about TREES, YES!