Anyone else think Spider-Man 2 is the best Marvel movie?

Dope-ass direction (visuals, etc.), dope-ass writing, dope-ass characters, dope-ass acting (mostly), and a dope-ass score by Elfman, one of his best. The movie has an excellent balance of (melo)drama, humor, and stakes to get invested in. It has a real human heart. It's a movie I was very inspired by as a kid, and look back at it without any embarrassment. I would still probably find it inspiring. 

So hell yeah.

Definitely. Doc Ock is still one of the best superhero villains ever, and Spider-Man's character progression is second to none. Also few modern superhero films have an action sequence that's as thrilling and as well-done as this. 

I prefer Raimi’s first Spider-man.  

The first two Spideys are up there with Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier for me.  I can see Black Panther and Ragnarok being top tier, but I’d need to try them again first.  I wouldn’t rank any of the Fox universe (X-men) movies in the top tier.

I watched the trilogy only two years ago (when I was a kid, Mom always said it was stupid, it's what Kevin watches, and of course Mom was always right back then) and absolutely loved them. I even liked 3, going into it like it was going to be a pile of shit. They're weird and stylish and somethimes a little wonky, but I easily prefer them to the mass produced MCU crap with about 10 of the exact same jokester heroes at this point.

Possibly.

Garrett Stiger seems to agree. Chris Hartwell, too.

Personally, my favorite in terms of an earnst superhero narrative is The Dark Knight trilogy (I can't really pick which one) and, as an action-comedy (which I maintain that most Marvel movies are), The Avengers.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

The MCU is at its best when it focuses on Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

Just Tony, really. The best character in the MCU.

I like Amazing Spider-Man. The Horner score is one of the few superhero scores in the world I truly love, and the romance is cute (the romance in the Raimi movies is garbage). I'm aware it's ruined in the second movie, but since I have no interest in seeing ASM2, I couldn't care less.

@Batman's Diet Coke I agree Spider-Man 2 is the best Marvel film. For me it's the only superhero film that transcended the gimmickry of the comics to find a balance between the tone and embraced the cinematic qualities without losing the heart of the character. Brilliant action set-pieces, great drama between the characters - the dynamic between Peter/MJ/Harry is developed well and the villain isn't a generic cardboard cut-out 'I'm a bad guy, doing bad things' type of character, he has motivations, isn't evil - misguided and vengeful for the failure of his life's work. 

The X-Men trilogy and Spider-Man Homecoming I think are up there with Spidey 2, if Homecoming had a cohesive story and focused more on Peter I think I'd place it higher. 

I cant call it the best.

It has a few clunky plotdevelopments and some cliches

But I did really enjoy it, and the action is very creative

It is a most enjoyable pre-Marvel Studios Marvel film. It has heart. The score is a mess though. Is it the best Spider-Man film? Possibly. I'd definitely put it up there with Homecoming. They have slightly different sensibilities but achieve similar their goals.

Karol

Spiderman 2 is really good, but not the best.

The Spiderman trilogy is somehow like the X-Men trilogy:

Part 1: meh

Part 2: great

Part 3: meh

I think, it's really rare that only the second part of a trilogy is really good.

It's the best of that trilogy, but that's not saying much. If you like that 'primary colours' approach to superhero films, then go for it. I for one prefer the direction that Marvel films have gone in (and they've actually nailed quite a few different tones since then), and can't watch any of Raimi's Spider-Man films now. The Amazing Spider-Man was a better film, in my view, and I particularly agree about the romance - Gwen and Peter had chemistry thanks to Garfield and Stone. Mary-Jane and Peter were as cardboard as the rest of the film, in part due to casting Maguire and Dunst.

Elfman's and Horner's scores are both great in their own ways and serve both approaches. Zimmer's score can suck it, though.

I actually think Zimmer's entry was colorful, and a unique approach to what has become, as countless has said, an inundated landfill of generic music that offers little dimension to what you see.

I haven't seen the movie, but I have a suspicion that it doesn't live up to Zimmer's creativity.

Of the MCU films that I have seen, CA:TWS is my favourite (and that's only because of Sundance). One day, I'm going to rent, or borrow them, and sit down and watch them all.

I'm probably in the minority, but...I think that X-MEN FIRST CLASS, is the best X-Men film I've seen. Sorry :)

(edit) Now, there's two words one doesn't normally read consecutively: "Zimmer's creativity".

33 minutes ago, Richard said:

(edit) Now, there's two words one doesn't normally read consecutively: "Zimmer's creativity".

Tell me this ain't creative for a superhero score! (and mean it)

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

That suite is the musical equivalent of a parody. The only one not in on the joke is the composer.

I really like that keyboard counter-rhythm around 1:20, I wish I could write something that slick.

Overall, the piece is an extremely well-produced blend of orchestra (mostly woodwinds, a big plus) with electronics, I marvel at how he was able to imagine those disparate elements throughout and mesh them so cohesively. Wow. It's also a fun piece that gives a flair and personality to whatever it is it's accompanying.

It's pretty much of a masterpiece. So many memorable scenes and lines.

One moment that sticks with me is when Peter has given up being Spider-Man and walks away from a kid being beat up in an alley. It's weird because rather than thinking he's an asshole we're still on his side because we sympathize with him. It's a great flick.

10 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

It's pretty much of a masterpiece. So many memorable scenes and lines.

One moment that sticks with me is when Peter has given up being Spider-Man and walks away from a kid being beat up in an alley. It's weird because rather than thinking he's an asshole we're still on his side because we sympathize with him. It's a great flick.

And Elfman annihilates that moment, too. Another great moment is when Peter is asking himself if it's possible for him to live a life according to his own desires, or if he's essentially fated to sacrifice them. At the core, it's a very universal question.

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

That suite is the musical equivalent of a parody. The only one not in on the joke is the composer.

You're absolutely right that it's parody and tailor made for a ridiculous production, but the composer was definitely in on the joke.  I expect the only person not in on it was the director - though maybe even he was.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Not here, perhaps, but out in the world where brains get more fresh air...

Then you have a scene like this. Dude's barely in the movies but owns the role and brings the comic book character to life. There's just no one on this level in the MCU movies I've seen. Now he's wasted in crummy DC movies.

Spider-Man 2 is definitely the best of the Maguire films.  Spider-Man 3 could have been good but having two vilians and a sub par plot hurt the movie.  At least though in my opinion Christopher Young delivered the best score of the three movies.