Pinar Toprak's CAPTAIN MARVEL (2019)

John

'Captain Marvel' Enlists Pinar Toprak as Composer

Composer Pinar Toprak is joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Toprak will score Captain Marvel, which stars Brie Larson as the powerful Marvel hero. Captain Marvel is Marvel Studios' first female-fronted film, and Toprak will be the first woman to score a feature for the studio.

"It’s an incredible honor to be a part of the Marvel Universe," Toprak wrote Thursday on Instagram. "So many thoughts racing through my head. And the main one is gratitude."

Toprak's other work includes Syfy's Superman prequel Krypton as well as the videogame Fortnite.

According to @John Takis she is only the second female composer to ever score a theatrical superhero film after Shirley Walker scored Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Listening to a bit of her music, I hear that she definitely has the energy for the assignment.  Seems she plays electric guitar, too, might be interesting to hear how she might use that. 

I do hope the director and producers give her room to place her personal voice on the project.  She's capable of more than a by-the-numbers superhero soundscape. 

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Wasn't she also the person who wrote the Wonder Woman track for Justice League?

Or am I mixing up my ghost writers...?

Snide comments work best when they aren't embarrassingly misinformed and ignorant in their implications. 

4 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Wasn't she also the person who wrote the Wonder Woman track for Justice League?

Or am I mixing up my ghost writers...?

I thought the same thing for a second, but that was Tina Guo. 

I've known about Toprak for a bit, she's liked a few of my instagram posts in the past when I've shared some filmscore CD pics...

9 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Nice to see more female composers getting bigger projects, but we all know she didn't get this by talent, she got it because she's a woman. If she creates a great score then I have no problem, but if it's weak then it proves they should go with someone based on talent and not genitals. 

Half of all newly-commissioned works at the BBC Proms (the world's biggest classical music festival) will be by female composers, by 2022. Eat that!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/26/bbc-proms-give-half-new-commissions-women-2022/

1 hour ago, Miz said:

Half of all newly-commissioned works at the BBC Proms (the world's biggest classical music festival) will be by female composers, by 2022. Eat that!

See! I told you!

Equality-of-outcome!

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

She can't be a ghost writer if she's credited, is she?

Very true.

I only ever remembered a tweet(?) where she kind-of sort-of hinted she may have written that bit, but wasn't sure if anything was officially confirmed.

If she actually has been officially credited, then all the better! Takes it out of the realm of rumour, then.

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Snide comments work best when they aren't embarrassingly misinformed and ignorant in their implications. 

Holy overreaction Batman! Whatever did I do to deserve a remark like that?!?

Especially considering there are quite a fair few really rather creepy posts elsewhere in this very same thread.

Seriously, I haven't the faintest clue why I'm suddenly being singled out for apparently doing something wrong.

I only asked a simple question.

For the record, my intended implications were:

1. I'm not sure if she did do anything on that track.

2. I'm not sure anything was officially confirmed about her involvement.

(Above reasons explain why my two-sentence post had question marks at the conclusion of both sentences.)

3. It is a pretty good track.

What did you think I implied??? :blink:

4 hours ago, Mephariel said:

No, Pinar Toprak did write the Wonder Woman cue in Justice League. Hans Zimmer created the original WW motif with Tina Guo, who played it originally with the electric cello.  

Thanks for confirming!

The point I was hoping to make is that she did a pretty nice job on that track!

If the only music of hers I know is a track I quite like, she must've done something right.

In other words: reason enough to be positive about this assignment! :D

(And also reason enough to skip certain comments earlier in this thread that I'd really rather not have seen...)

4 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Very true.

I only ever remembered a tweet(?) where she kind-of sort-of hinted she may have written that bit, but wasn't sure if anything was officially confirmed.

If she's been officially credited, then all the better! Takes it out of the realm of rumour, then.

Yup, here:

IMG_20180616_102530688_HDR.jpg

Karol

Lolita Ritmanis wrote a "fanfare" for the Justice League as well. And made some animated Batman's movies. I like the theme created by her.

On 16/06/2018 at 10:35 AM, Jerry said:

Might I ask what nationality this person is? Such a neat name.

Pinar Toprak is a Turkish–American composer of film scores.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Do you really believe that? Of the 20 of so MCU scores so far, which are outstanding?

Did I make it seem like I believe that?

To answer your question, there are some Marvel scores that are solid if not exactly marvelous. Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Elfman's portions of Avengers: Age of Ultron are all very entertaining. Ant-Man is quite fun too. I like main themes from Tyler's Iron Man 3 and Bates' Guardians of the Galaxy. And the last three might be the best of the lot (Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War).

Karol