Pinar Toprak's CAPTAIN MARVEL (2019)

John

• 2 weeks later...

Come on, Michael.  He left in a typo!  He called her Pinar the first time, then PInar the second time!

So yet another example of how film blog clickbait culture wants to make everything into a scandal?  Or is it an actual scandal and PR people are trying to make it look like it isn't?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder which cues he worked on?

Didn’t a few cues sound like they were temped with Giacchino’s music?

maybe it was those.

5 minutes ago, John said:

Can we please just stop with the casual sexism on this site? Like geez

Is this the invasion of the PC brigade? Nothing I said is triggering or sexist in the least. I know irony doesn't read well but try harder before flinging ist and ism labels around. 

26 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Gia mansplaining (man-composing) to Top Rack? The Feminists will massacre him.

11 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Is this the invasion of the PC brigade? Nothing I said is triggering or sexist in the least. I know irony doesn't read well but try harder before flinging ist and ism labels around. 

Interesting 

25 minutes ago, John said:

You don’t need to be “PC” to realize that making gross and uncalled-for statements about women is wrong. It just seems creepy and a bit predatory 

You do you I guess. 

Creepy and predatory too? What's next dox me or drag me screaming to the snake pits?

I have zero tolerance for exchanges like these. I am putting you on ignore so that there isn't a repeat of this.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Interesting, so you should be allowed to say whatever you want, and people should be ok with it. But if its the other way around you break out the "ignore" function?

Grow a pair, dude!

Massive massive enormous difference surely you aren't so ignorant as to not see that. I make a joke about public figures. I will give you that some people might not find it funny.

The other poster - leveled a slanderous accusation against me without knowing me or my intentions. And then called me creepy and a predator? I only responded.

And out of all the asinine activities one can do on the internet, a petty ridiculous misguided feud is surely the most risible. Zero interest and zero tolerance. I would engage in a discussion on any topic but idle bomb throwing is not worth my time.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Referring to a woman by the size of her boobs instead of her actual name instead by definition sexist. 

And I am the first to ever make that joke and you have always rushed out any time any one made any sort of inappropriate joke to tar and feather them to assure that shocking transgressions against our civility are never made?

I'm surprised the focus of cynicism here is on sexism rather than "Wow, of all composers, you needed GIACCHINO to help you? Really? He can barely help himself a lot of the time! Have you heard most of his action music!?". 

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

Why is it that the ones who make casually sexist jokes are also the most sensitive when people call them out?

Yep.

22 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I'm surprised the focus of cynicism here is on sexism rather than "Wow, of all composers, you needed GIACCHINO to help you? Really? He can barely help himself a lot of the time! Have you heard most of his action music!?". 

Since it isn't clear on what he helped out with, wouldn't that be premature?

18 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

But wouldn't it make more sense to request help from a good composer, like John Williams? :P 

After the financial failure of Solo I'm sure Disney Ian gonna let Williams help out anyone on their projects.

I love how Jay picks up on the typo!

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

If Giacchino was there around the same time, surely it would be helpful for Toprak to seek the advice of a composer who has worked with the studio before who has some experience, instead of calling in some outside source to fill the same position? Perhaps Marvel wanted a similar sound to what Giacchino had offered?

It also picks up on some the long-held misconceptions of the role of a composer that any outside help lessens the score because it wasn't entirely crafted by their hands, which simply isn't true. Interestingly Powell mentioned this in a recent interview about the collaborative nature that he has experienced and not understanding how others could see that as anything but a good way to produce a score...

To me your comment @Kasey Kockroach, whether jokingly or not, typifies the same tired, bitchy, gossip * 'I can't believe they got Junkie XL to score, he can't even write a score without using drum loops'*  type comments that are just childish now.

55 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It also picks up on some the long-held misconceptions of the role of a composer that any outside help lessens the score because it wasn't entirely crafted by their hands, which simply isn't true.

Doesn't that depend on a persons personal preference of what he or he expects of an artist though?

In many artforms what you're saying actually isn't the case at all. A Rubens painting would probably drop in value if if were discovered that part of it was done by an other artist of lesser statue.

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Doesn't that depend on a persons personal preference of what he or he expects of an artist though?

In many artforms what you're saying actually isn't the case at all. A Rubens painting would probably drop in value if if were discovered that part of it was done by an other artist of lesser statue.

Yes, for a work which is explicitly made as a solo effort, however in the context of film scoring, it isn't unusual for multiple writers to work on a score, not to mention, numerous ghostwriters.

54 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I’m saying that with all the Giacchino bitterness around here, I was surprised that wasn’t the focus with reactions to this...ahem, “scandal”.

Well your post corrected that, didn't it! :D

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yes, for a work which is explicitly made as a solo effort, however in the context of film scoring, it isn't unusual for multiple writers to work on a score, not to mention, numerous ghostwriters.

Up until the mid-90's it was actually very unusual for more than one composer to work on a score. 

And using ghostwriters is really something that shouldnt be excused. If a score has more than one composer, they should always be credited. 

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Up until the mid-90's it was actually very unusual for more than one composer to work on a score. 

And using ghostwriters is really something that shouldnt be excused. If a score has more than one composer, they should always be credited. 

What if the ghostwriter(s) wish to remain anonymous? 

Anyhow, my comments were obviously concerning the current film score practices and projects, where, it's not as uncommon a practice to have multiple composers. 

11 minutes ago, Arpy said:

What if the ghostwriter(s) wish to remain anonymous? 

In the case of Gia doing some work on Captain Marvel, that might be the case. Often it's not though. It's a person doing work for which someone else gets credit.

11 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Anyhow, my comments were obviously concerning the current film score practices and projects, where, it's not as uncommon a practice to have multiple composers. 

And in many cases it's something I'm less interested in. Though I don't have anything against the practice itself, as long as all contributing composers get proper credit.