Jerry Goldsmith's SMALL SOLDIERS (1998) - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Hey, that's pretty brilliant news! Even the footwarmer had quite some substantial stuff missing, if I recall.

And it was only two days ago that I was joking about this one, not believing it would actually happen right now! :D

On 14/06/2018 at 12:48 AM, Corellian2019 said:

There's a guessing game going on at the Jerry Goldsmith Online Facebook page, with the admin encouraging fans to "think smaller" than Air Force One, Small Soldiers, or U.S. Marshals

On 16/06/2018 at 11:30 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Tiny Soldiers, then?

The footwarmer had the entire final act of the film missing...over 12 minutes of music I think. This is over twice as long as the original Varese release, even excluding alternates!

Also, Varese corrected the price to $19.98.

An incredible release but I must confess I'm even MORE excited about getting The Cowboys complete!

Yavar

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh I got charged $24.98 on PayPal.

Karol

Is that not because of the shipping cost?

TOOK EM' LONG ENOUGH

That's that anyhow. This was the last Goldsmith expansion I was wanting. All of the Dante-Goldsmiths are now ideally presented (no, Matinee doesn't need a complete release). 

4 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

Is that not because of the shipping cost?

No, it's their mistake. I just got an e-mail they will refund me $5 so it's all good.

I will still get charged customs when it gets here, of course. So there's that.

Karol

Oh, weird. Glad they're on top of the refunds at least!

In any event, I'm sure I'll pick this up eventually. The Cowboys will be enough for me for now.

This is it. Pretty much every Goldsmith I was wanting complete/expanded is officially out. 

All of the Dante-Goldsmith scores are now ideally represented (trust me, Matinee and Looney Tunes don't need expansions). It's a bizarre sensation...I don't know what to make of it. Gremlins was the very first film score I ever bought on CD. With this, now it's like the end of a chapter. 

Don't trust kaseykockroach, folks. :) I've heard the complete scores for Matinee and Looney Tunes and there's a lot of wonderful unreleased music (both complete scores are in the 70 minute range). Looney Tunes in particular feels like a jumbled mess on the existing Varese album, which is exacerbated by the fact that it is missing any sort of conclusion because Debney's quarter hour of music was omitted.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

I'm sure they editorialized this with care, but the 'Gwendys Attack' alternate is missing (and with all the alternates from the boot this would probably be a 2 CD set). Anyway, bought.

Good to know. I'll hold onto my footwarmer until it's all sorted out. :) I'm glad I did that for Executive Decision in particular, because they did indeed leave off a key alternate (very different from the film cue) on that.

Yavar

Leviathan's album is also just fine as it be. Any extra music would just be padding in-between the highlights we already have. Not everything needs to be 75 minutes, chaps! Except sex.

Which is to say, the chapter on needed Goldsmith expansions is closed as far as I'm concerned (though I bet Mom and Dad Save the World complete would be fun, I'm not in any rush).

What are you basing your Leviathan opinion on? Have you investigated the unreleased music? DeputyRiley at FSM did and it sounds pretty interesting IMO:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110196&archive=0

"I very much look forward to the day that Varese Sarabande decides to expand their original 39min 40sec album, because upon viewing the film recently I discovered that there are over 21 minutes of unreleased music from the film. This brings the entire film score to just over 61 minutes, which would make for a nice expanded and remastered CD, and certainly film score fans would enjoy this one, particularly if similar clean-up work can be done as was done recently on the Warlock expansion. 

The unreleased material does not expand upon the main title thematic material or the lighter moments, but mostly focuses on mystery, action, and horror, with further exploration of sound design, unique electronics and monstrous orchestral dexterity. Highlights include the music from the scene where Peter Weller and Richard Crenna’s character first view the footage from the sunken Russian ship, where mysterious woodwinds play with synths to create an unsettling atmosphere. More unease is found in the scene when Crenna explains the genetic alteration theory, Goldsmith continuing to push all the right buttons with his creative sounds and unusual compositions. The cue I call “Still Alive”, underscoring the scene where the crew members discover that bodies they thought were dead are in fact still moving, is terrifying in its orchestral fury, before settling into an interesting metallic percussive prepared piano sound that I found really cool."

COMPLETE FILM VERSION SCORE RUNTIME (INCLUDING FILM MIX OF “CAN WE FIX IT”) + CD MIX OF “CAN WE FIX IT”: 64min 40sec

Complete Score Cue Titles and Cue Times (unreleased cues named by me for the sake of identification):

+ – previously unreleased (or includes previously unreleased material) 

1. Underwater Camp (3:11)
2. Decompression (3:18)
3. Situation Under Control (1:45)
4. Doc’s History (1:08) +
5. Discovery (6:00) + – (extended from CD version featuring unreleased opening 30 seconds)
6. Deceased (0:32) +
7. Captain’s Log (1:58) +
8. Shared Vodka (0:33) +
9. One of Us
10. Deadly Hangover (1:20) +
11. Genetic Alteration (2:08) +
12. Lesions (0:34) +
13. Crew Exam (1:48) +
14. It’s Growing (3:12)
15. Hasty Funeral (1:21) +
16. Still Alive (1:37) +
17. Regeneration (1:24) +
18. The Flask (0:30) +
19. No Trust (0:41) +
20. The Body Within Pt. 1 (2:06) – (CD track split)
21. Searching for Williams (0:41) +
22. Power Saw Surgery (0:36) +
23. Setting a Trap (1:14) +
24. The Body Within Pt. 2 (2:30) – (CD track split)
25. Cobb Transforms (1:10) +
26. Doc Worsens (0:50) +
27. First Watch (1:08) +
28. Can We Fix It (3:33) – (film mix – synth bass hits at beginning of cue absent)
29. Too Hot (3:25)
30. Escape Bubbles (5:34)
31. A Lot Better (3:30)

Mom and Dad Save the World complete IS a ton of fun, but sadly the unmentionable has pretty terrible sound quality (only The Lonely Guy boot sounds worse)...I would be there DAY ONE for an expansion.

The Varese Goldsmith that is less in need of an expansion for me is Rudy. I know everyone loves it, but it's really a very simple score and the missing cues are really just very similar variations on the same material, with nothing truly unique missing. Of course if Varese releases it complete I will buy it...even though I have the complete isolated score track.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

We need a definitive release for Poltergeist II.

'An important new source presumed lost was unearthed by us, by sheer accident! A night-and-day revelation compared to all older releases!! For only 29.95 the REAL Poltergeist II will be yours!!!'

Just now, publicist said:

'An important new source presumed lost was unearthed by us, by sheer accident! A night-and-day revelation compared to all older releases!! For only 29.95 the REAL Poltergeist II will be yours!!!'

"We swear it is the last one"

Karol

I would NOT buy Poltergeist II again...for anyone wondering, I'm not that crazy. :P

In fact I was so happy with the Kritzerland that I have yet to pick up the Intrada (but probably will eventually, mostly because of the nicer cover art/notes...and of course that unreleased alternate). Overall though I think the score pales in comparison to the original.

Yavar

Just now, Pieter_Boelen said:

No Mulan?!? :eh:

Ehh, sure. I assume it'll be years before that release ever happens. Years! Probably decades!

And yes, I'm deliberately trying to jinx it so it gets released this year. :P

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

By the way, I really like Poltergeist II. But I can't bring myself to buying the new Intrada set. The previous one sounded good enough to me.

The first release was an abomination. But the 1993 cd by Intrada ran 53 minutes and was perfect. Even the covers got worse after that (for whatever reason i am cover-fixated today).

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I would NOT buy Poltergeist II again...for anyone wondering, I'm not that crazy. :P

In fact I was so happy with the Kritzerland that I have yet to pick up the Intrada (but probably will eventually, mostly because of the nicer cover art/notes...and of course that unreleased alternate). Overall though I think the score pales in comparison to the original.

Yavar

Thankfully, it's so vastly different that I have no impulse to compare the two. The opening is actually one of my favourite Goldsmith cues ever.

Regrettably, whenever I listen to War Horse I keep thinking of this:

Karol

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Ehh, sure. I assume it'll be years before that release ever happens. Years! Probably decades!

And yes, I'm deliberately trying to jinx it so it gets released this year. :P

Appreciate the effort! :D

FUCK YES!!! SMALL SOLDIERS!!!

There you go 30 minute OST! Varese, I love you! Continue to eliminate the 30 minute OSTs at that high speed and we will be friends again!

Finally, I have the chance to get into this score. It was just not possible with only a little excerpt being released.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

Finally, I have the chance to get into this score. It was just not possible with only a little excerpt being released.

If you thought that about the original 30 minute album for this, imagine what it's like for The Lonely Guy, only having 5 minutes of score (two cues) commercially released! I think you'll be impressed...

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

If you thought that about the original 30 minute album for this, imagine what it's like for The Lonely Guy, only having 5 minutes of score (two cues) commercially released! I think you'll be impressed...

I don't know Lonely Guy at all, but I tend to buy the newest releases as soon as they're available, so maybe I'll grab that one too, when it will be released.

So the bold titles are what is NOT new:

1. Globotech (:58) 
2. He’s Here / Chip Hazard / Just Toys (1:00) 
3. The Assembly Line (2:44) 
4. Alan’s Town (1:25)
5. The Boxes / Off The Truck (2:12) 
6. Gorgonite Scum / Almost Gold (1:36) 
7. Roll Call (4:52) 
8. Alan And Archer (3:01)

9. Destruction / Branded (3:01) 
10. Prepare For Assault (3:48) 
11. Special Design (Extended Version) (2:38) 
12. Talk To Me / Not Found (3:07) 
13. Team Gorgonite (1:10) 
14. Phone Wires / Gorgon / Top Of The Stairs (1:12) 
15. Stand Down / Negative Target (1:52) 
16. The New Army / Brain Chip (1:14) 
17. Bombshelley (Franz Waxman) (1:21) 
18. The Wind (1:01) 
19. The Gwendys / Terms Of Surrender (1:50) 
20. The Trojan Box / Rocket Entry (1:45) 
21. Gwendys Attack (1:47) 
22. This Is Fun (1:26) 
23. Toast / Down The River / Lost Battle (1:21) 
24. I’m Scared (2:04) 
25. Negotiations (1:10) 
26. Fire In The Hole (3:45) 
27. Trust Me (4:07) 
28. No Prisoners (4:38) 
29. Chip Dies / Cleaning Up (1:39) 
30. Off To Gorgon (4:44)

Holy shit, that gap between track 11 and track 24 is a fucking HUGE gap! Apparently, the second and the third third were not well presented on the OST.

Hmm...judging from the track list it appears the cue "Chip's Orders" or the cue that plays before "Destruction" in the film with the reprise from the 1941 music isn't present.  Which has surfaced though... I think "Roll Call" is probably the original cue before being revised in the film.

Now it's easier to understand.

The cover is indeed a bit weird.

Btw, the last 30 second of Assembly Line also seem to be unreleased, but Special Design is not longer than the version on the OST, so possibly they misplaced the "(Extended Version)".

15 hours ago, publicist said:

'Matinee' is back-burner Goldsmith and i don't even need that much from the old Varése, 'Looney Tunes' plays well as it is. But trust Yavar to fill Varése's coffers time and time again..:lol:

You were the one who advised me to get the complete Chain Reaction.

15 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Seriously, 98% of Goldsmith scores play better in complete form. You should know that!

At least most scores are better in complete form than in the chopped up OST form.

40 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

You were the one who advised me to get the complete Chain Reaction.

What has that got to do with 'Matinee' or 'Looney Tunes'?