Jerry Goldsmith's SMALL SOLDIERS (1998) - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

23 hours ago, Trent B said:

Hmm...judging from the track list it appears the cue "Chip's Orders" or the cue that plays before "Destruction" in the film with the reprise from the 1941 music isn't present.  Which has surfaced though... I think "Roll Call" is probably the original cue before being revised in the film.

Music from Jerry's score to the 1970 film "Patton", as re-recorded with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra for this 1997 Varese CD: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RXB6UV2

was tracked into the film at that spot.  You should check out the Patton OST if you're not familiar with it.  Intrada released a definitive version

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6806/.f

It's a great score!

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Even the old song compilation has a better cover.

Small_Soldiers_OST.jpg

Well, I think the fan made ones are a little too dark and the official one is too... cute and colourful. The OST had the perfect balance regarding the colours. That one with an orange "The Deluxe Edition"-sign on the top...

The Bad Girls OST cover, however, looks awful. One of many examples (The Untouchables is another one) where the colour blue was incorporated into an OST cover, although it didn't fit at all!

On 6/19/2018 at 3:52 AM, Brundlefly said:

Now it's easier to understand.

The cover is indeed a bit weird.

Btw, the last 30 second of Assembly Line also seem to be unreleased, but Special Design is not longer than the version on the OST, so possibly they misplaced the "(Extended Version)".

There should a few seconds of unreleased music. 

If I am not mistaken, this is the chronological order of this set.  I also threw in the additional cue names that weren't noted on the track list.

01 01 Globotech (0:58)
02 02A He’s Here / Chip Hazard
03 36 Also Sprach Zarathustra (Richard Strauss) (1:30)
04 02B Just Toys
05 03 The Assembly Line (2:44)
06 04 Alan’s Town (1:25)
07 05 The Boxes / Off The Truck (2:12)
08 06 Gorgonite Scum / Almost Sold (1:36) [The CD incorrectly calls this Almost Gold for some reason]
09 07 Roll Call (4:52)
10 08 Alan And Archer (3:01)
11 09 Destruction / Branded / A Different Person (3:01)
12 10 Prepare For Assault (3:48)
13 11 Special Design / Garbage (2:38)
14 12 Talk To Me / Not Found (3:07)
15 13 Team Gorgonite (1:10)
16 14A Phone Wires / Gorgon
17 15A Stand Down
18 14B Top Of The Stairs
19 15B Negative Target
20 16 The New Army / Brain Chip (1:14)
21 17 Bombshelley (Franz Waxman) (1:21)
22 18 The Wind (1:01)
23 19 The Gwendys / Terms Of Surrender (1:50)
24 20 The Trojan Box / Rocket Entry (1:45)
25 21 Gwendys Attack (1:47)
26 22 This Is Fun (1:26)
27 23 Toast / Down The River / Lost Battle / Greetings (1:21)
28 24 I’m Scared (2:04)
29 25 Negotiations (1:10)
30 26 Fire In The Hole (3:45)
31 35 Ride Of The Valkyries (Richard Wagner) (0:40)
32 27 Trust Me (4:07)
33 28 No Prisoners (4:38)
34 29 Chip Dies / Cleaning Up (1:39)
35 30 Off To Gorgon (4:44) [Jerry's cue title was "Keep Your Nose Clean"]

On 6/19/2018 at 1:44 AM, Trent B said:

Hmm...judging from the track list it appears the cue "Chip's Orders" or the cue that plays before "Destruction" in the film with the reprise from the 1941 music isn't present.  Which has surfaced though... I think "Roll Call" is probably the original cue before being revised in the film.

The cue you are thinking of is Patton theme. Jerry had them use a combination of two tracks from the Patton/Tora Tora Tora. The tracks being Track 9 Entr'acte and Track 10 Attack. Which was edited together for the film. It was excluded from this release because it would have required licensing and such for it.

Also Patton was a 20th Century Fox Film and Small Soldiers is Universal. at the time of the films release the license for ti was still held by Varèse.

On 6/18/2018 at 8:11 PM, Brundlefly said:

Holy shit, that gap between track 11 and track 24 is a fucking HUGE gap! Apparently, the second and the third third were not well presented on the OST.

That was a big issue I always had with the score was the huge gap in the release. I had the opportunity to look at Jerry's Sketches and Courage's orchestrations and even noticed that there was snippets of music that was not used on the OST and did not even make it into the film that is included in this release Such as Assembly Line, Gwendy's Attack , and a few others. That is the reason on a few tracks it says extended but you think it's been released before. It has.... but not in it's complete form ;)

17 hours ago, Jay said:

?? 35 Ride Of The Valkyries (Richard Wagner) (:40) [Sorry, I forget where this goes]

Valkyries goes between Fire in the Hole and Trust me. ;)

3 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Valkyries goes between Fire in the Hole and Trust me. ;)

Thanks, I fixed my post

On 6/21/2018 at 4:18 AM, dillweed97 said:

The cue you are thinking of is Patton theme. Jerry had them use a combination of two tracks from the Patton/Tora Tora Tora. The tracks being Track 9 Entr'acte and Track 10 Attack. Which was edited together for the film. It was excluded from this release because it would have required licensing and such for it.

Also Patton was a 20th Century Fox Film and Small Soldiers is Universal. at the time of the films release the license for ti was still held by Varèse.

Oh okay.  So did it replace the last half of "Roll Call" then? I have to compare the cue to the film.

I just watched the film last night with my wife. It's been a while since I saw it and she only remembered parts of it.

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

Oh okay.  So did it replace the last half of "Roll Call" then? I have to compare the cue to the film.

I just watched the film last night with my wife. It's been a while since I saw it and she only remembered parts of it.

No, Because those cues do not go into each other.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:22 AM, Brundlefly said:

KXZSyaA.jpg

What do you prefer? This fan cover art or the official one?

I love that artwork. Do you have a higher res version?

I've just seen Small Soldiers again and I think the music from the first third is well presented in the film. However, is it possible that there were many changes and edits in the last two thirds? I didn't hear as much tracks as indicated on the Deluxe Edition track list and some pieces were tracked several times. Maybe the (awesome) source music replaced a lot from the original score? Besides the music is mixed in too low during the action scenes.

@Trent B

The version I posted was the only version of this cover that I was able to find.

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I've just seen Small Soldiers again and I think the music from the first third is well presented in the film. However, is it possible that there were many changes and edits in the last two thirds? I didn't hear as much tracks as indicated on the Deluxe Edition track list and some pieces were tracked several times. Maybe the (awesome) source music replaced a lot from the original score? Besides the music is mixed in too low during the action scenes.

@Trent B

The version I posted was the only version of this cover that I was able to find.

The last bit of the film is edited a lot, it was originally way more graphic. They wanted to try and cut it to a PG rating.

It was never designed for anything but, so i don't think you are talking about more than micro edits. It was obviously tinkered with but heavy re-cutting is not unusual, Goldsmith himself had his schedule for 'First Contact' cut short by the overruns on 'Ghost and the Darkness' the year prior, so i guess they just wanted to move it faster or whatever.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, publicist said:

It was never designed for anything but, so i don't think you are talking about more than micro edits. It was obviously tinkered with but heavy re-cutting is not unusual, Goldsmith himself had his schedule for 'First Contact' cut short by the overruns on 'Ghost and the Darkness' the year prior, so i guess they just wanted to move it faster or whatever.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

So he meant from PG-13 to PG, right?

Yes, it was a more heavy PG-13 they cut so much to try to get it to PG, what settled the PG-13 Rating was the use of sleeping medication as a way to make people fall asleep. They couldn't remove that because it was  a key plot point. So they tried by removing violence.  

On a side note Joe was told to make a Teen film (around High School age), not a children's movie.

So i await my cd with high hopes for totally new cues, at least partially - though my impression from the movie was that all the longer sequences were more or less intact (Fire in the Hole, No Prisoners).

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone still waiting on their copy to ship?  I ordered mine a week and a half ago and it still shows as unfulfilled.  What's the issue?  Did they run out of stock?

I've seen a lot of complaints about their service lately, but haven't bought from them recently, including in the thread for The Cowboys.  Has there been a decline in the service since they were bought?

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot wait for this release as it's been shipped. Pleased that I didn't purchase the original CD as I would've had to discard that into the recycling bin to make space for this deluxe.👍

59 minutes ago, theMaestraX said:

Cannot wait for this release as it's been shipped. Pleased that I didn't purchase the original CD as I would've had to discard that into the recycling bin to make space for this deluxe.👍

Could you not rather donate it than recycle it (hypothetically of course)?

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 9:52 AM, Brundlefly said:

Btw, the last 30 second of Assembly Line also seem to be unreleased, but Special Design is not longer than the version on the OST, so possibly they misplaced the "(Extended Version)".

That is wrong. "Special Design" is actually extended. It's only three of those synthy beats in the middle of the cue. So it's only 1 or 2 seconds more music.

• 2 years later...

I think this is one of those scores where if the OST didn't do it for you, the complete score won't change your mind

It's When Johnny Comes Marching Home. It's a bit more broad and Hollywood-ized than the older Dante scores, but the mischievous moments and two big attack cues omitted from the old Varése album make it worth your while. 

15 hours ago, Jay said:

I think this is one of those scores where if the OST didn't do it for you, the complete score won't change your mind

Inclined to agree, but it's a fun score and the main theme is great, with plenty of decent secondary motifs. One of several scores where I consider the original album a tone poem or ballet suite type presentation (if that's not pretentious a way of looking at it) while still enjoying the full (or nearly full thing) as its own terms. I think of Starship Troopers in the same way, the original album is a perfect 30 minute tone poem of humans and bugs blasting the shit out of each other. The full score fills in some of the quieter moments (as well as plenty of superbly enjoyable noisy ones) and provides a richer overall texture to enjoy it in a different way.

16 hours ago, publicist said:

It's not one of Goldsmith better album cuts, a bit repetitious and with 2 rather nondescript cues. You can pare it down to 45 minutes, but 30 is a bit desperate.

Just as so many other Goldsmith scores from the 90s released by Varese Sarabande that are now having a much too short 30-minute and a much too long 60+-minute presentation. But Small Soldiers actually works greatly with just a handful of cues skipped.

• 2 weeks later...

This has actually sold out in the European Varese store as well, I hadn't noticed before. I was lucky enough to buy it yesterday from MovieMusic.com, it's still available, if anyone is interested.

https://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M11391/small-soldiers/

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I recently ordered The Cowboys from VS's international store, but got this instead. Talk about downgrade!

Both awesome scores. If you really dislike Small Soldiers that much I’m sure someone will take it off your hands...

Yavar