Jerry Goldsmith's SMALL SOLDIERS (1998) - 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

10 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Both awesome scores. If you really dislike Small Soldiers that much I’m sure someone will take it off your hands...

Yavar

Well, I'm not very familiar with Small Soldiers, but the one I'm familiar with, The Cowboys, I wouldn't rank as high as "awesome". That Morricone harmonica rip-off just becomes too grating! However, the concert suite is excellent, and contains really all I need. I actually purchased the album mainly to check the VAT policies of VS's international store. :lol:

Based on your glowing recommendation, I'll give Small Soldiers a chance, but... is there any JG score you don't like? :) 

I think if you polled 1,000 fans of Jerry's music, only a very small portion would put Small Soldiers in their top 20 of all his scores.

It's not a bad score at all, and even a score towards the bottom of Jerry's output is still better than the scores near the top of most other composer's output.  It's a perfectly fine score.  I enjoy it.  But I don't return to it that often.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think if you polled 1,000 fans of Jerry's music, only a very small portion would put Small Soldiers in their top 20 of all his scores.

It's not a bad score at all, and even a score towards the bottom of Jerry's output is still better than the scores near the top of most other composer's output.  It's a perfectly fine score.  I enjoy it.  But I don't return to it that often.

Agreed, but it reminds you just how good his B list scores were and how much better they were than a lot of comparable scores today. For example, Bear McCreary's scores to Rim of World has a strong Explorers vibe in its main theme, but overall it's not a patch on Jerry's score or even Small Soldiers, which is in a similar light hearted adventure style.

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Based on your glowing recommendation, I'll give Small Soldiers a chance, but... is there any JG score you don't like? :) 

It is a very funny score, mocking a lot of (film) classics - in that sense, it's one of those clever tongue-in-cheek scores. If you like military-like, over-the-top, syth-heavy Jerry Goldsmith scores, you'll like that one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...