THE COWBOYS (1972) - NEW! 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It is "missing" in the sense that it was on the old Varese CD but not this CD.  But it is not missing in the sense that it should never have been there either.  That track is not an alternate main title to this film.

So what was it written for? Is it even from Williams’ hand? Thanks for the info; the track always felt out of place and finally it’s starting to make sense why.

I forgot to say, I think this score is fantastic and I can't wait to get this release.

Also, John Wayne is one of the great Hollywood stars and crazy underrated as an actor too.  First person to say he just gave the same performance in every movie gets a hard stare from me.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Also, John Wayne is one of the great Hollywood stars and crazy underrated as an actor too.  First person to say he just gave the same performance in every movie gets a hard stare from me.

Agreed! This and Hatari! are my favorite performances of him.

Well this was a nice surprise indeed! :) 

And you can't really go wrong with Matessino handling such a release. I am really looking forward to listening to this one!

8 minutes ago, Sandor said:

So what was it written for? Is it even from Williams’ hand?

I think it was Williams:

Very unexpected and welcomed surprise!  I haven't owned any prior release of this and loved the movie as a youngster so just placed my order!  Samples sound great so far, sounds like Mike Matessino has done it again!

30 minutes ago, Sandor said:

So what was it written for? Is it even from Williams’ hand? Thanks for the info; the track always felt out of place and finally it’s starting to make sense why.

Mike's liner notes explain it, I will not steal his thunder.

Because Varese does not sell their Club titles at wholesale prices to anyone (the only label to have this policy). So any reseller like Music Box, SAE, Intrada, or MovieMusic has to purchase the album from Varese at full price + shipping, and then mark it up (usually just a little bit) in order for them to even make their own money back, much less a small profit!

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Because Varese does not sell their Club titles at wholesale prices to anyone (the only label to have this policy). So any reseller like Music Box, SAE, Intrada, or MovieMusic has to purchase the album from Varese at full price + shipping, and then mark it up (usually just a little bit) in order for them to even make their own money back, much less a small profit!

Yavar

well, this is not just a little bit.

This is almost double the price!

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

well, this is not just a little bit.

This is almost double the price!

U.S. retailers typically mark up Varese Club single disc releases $5-6. But Music Box is overseas, meaning they have to pay much higher shipping costs and any tariffs/import duties. I'm sure that what they are charging is reasonable based on their costs; they're good people.

Yavar

No need to re-record this one - after Mike worked his magic, the original recordings sound GREAT now, which the samples should showcase nicely.

Yeah.....SO ordered! The rousing overture was played LIVE with Williams conducting at one of his concerts  I can recall - It waz awesome!

43 minutes ago, Richard said:

Could somebody pleeeeeease lend me $19:98?

Well, I have the inclination, the maturity and the wherewithal...but unfortunately, I don't have the time.

16 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

You mean to tell me the alternate main title wasn't even Williams? After all these years?

*commits suicide*

*cuts ears off*

Weird, the alternate Main Title is missing from the tracklist! I've never even heard it, but it's supposedly one of the best cues Williams ever wrote before the 80s!

Fuck!

26 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

Just out of curiosity, was this project supervised and personally approved by Williams, as the recent LLL and Intrada expansions have been? 

Supervised? I don't think he's ever "supervised" a specialty label title, whatever that might even mean.

But yea, it was of course approved by Williams. 

Super stoked for this! An easy choice to order. I'm really only familiar with the fantastic main title, but I remember catching a fair amount of the film on TV maybe 6 or 7 years ago and thinking, Boy, I really would like to have the whole score.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for it to arrive!

While the Bob Peak's Before Winter painting for the Varese OST cover was great I like that they went with the original film poster version for this expanded release.

And as many have said The Cowboys Overture concert piece is among Williams' very finest.

So excited to hear the complete score assembled and mixed by Mike Matessino!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

But yea, it was of course approved by Williams. 

Are you sure? I find it hard to believe he listened to it and didn't realize it included something he didn't write. 

Based on the samples (and the Boston Pops piece) this is something I'd not necessarily immediately love, but probably really like. No blind purchase like with CE3K, gotta watch the movie first.

I asked this question over at FSM:

Does anybody remember this was prepped as a 'complete release' more than a decade ago with a track list on some label and listed on Barnes and Nobles website? And then it was gone ! 

Rumours were that Williams nixed the album when he found out that it was coming. This was around the time when THE BLUE  MAX and THE REIVERS were being issued on the Sony legacy label. Long time ago and my memory on this a bit hazy.