THE COWBOYS (1972) - NEW! 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Recording is recording is recording....

That is so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, not true

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Believe me, the Early seventies sounds just as good as today.

The only change in producing records is digital allows down mixing with no degradation.

For sure - as I understand it, there are mics older than that still in use at a lot of scoring stages! But the recording medium does make a difference, as does the quality of however many transfers occur between recording and the final mix. Factor in the different studios' archival prowess - or lack thereof - in different time periods, and you can end up with some albums that sound pretty gnarly, despite being recorded with top-notch players in world-class scoring stages by incredible engineers on premium equipment. I mean, as hard as MM worked on the sound of Jaws, for instance, it's still less than ideal. Superman still sounded pretty bad till they finally found the first-generation elements.

One big factor is recording speed.

If you use a fast ips the recording will have reduced hiss. But, it costs more so some studios used slower ips.

Listen to John Barry recordings from the Sixties like YOLT and OHMSS

Recorded on four track.

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

The only change in producing records is digital allows down mixing with no degradation.

This doesn't make sense at all. There are plenty of analog recordings (from analog masters) that sound better than digital. And sometimes analog masters are still being used today. The biggest difference in SQ is the recording process itself and the available recording facilities. From the '80s onward, 'sound' became more and more important as being part of the theatrical experience (as opposed to the '70s) and so much more attention and money went to sound recording and reproduction (playback) in general. This is evident through the recordings of the '80s and yet most recordings of that decade were still entirely analog. However, it is true that sometimes inferior master tapes (copies of copies of copies) were distributed for duplication but I doubt that anyone can hear the degradation between the original and a first class analog copy. 

I replied to this claim (which I quoted): 

"The only change in producing records is digital allows down mixing with no degradation."

Is this not what you wrote?

Read the rest.

It says nothing about analog masters being inferior or older recordings being inferior.

The current tech allows almost perfect REPLICATION of studio master tapes.

Analog to LP is far from perfect.

That's why jazz musicians recorded direct to the master.

That's why Horner recorded and mixed direct to the master.

Got it?😁

Read the rest? I responded to this post. There is nothing else.

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

17 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Read the rest.

It says nothing about analog masters being inferior or older recordings being inferior.

The current tech allows almost perfect REPLICATION of studio master tapes.

Analog to LP is far from perfect.

That's why jazz musicians recorded direct to the master.

That's why Horner recorded and mixed direct to the master.

Got it?😁

That's not what you said. You are now talking about the difference between vinyl and CDs. 

And no, they record to a stereo tape, then they makes copies (which are called master tapes) for duplication (LPs, CDs). Analog or digital, when you have a first generation master tape, everything should be fine (if the recording is good).

I was about to checkout with the CD at musicbox the other day, but had an error with their website. I left it for a day and when I returned to complete the checkout, it had removed Cowboys from the cart, and sold out. 

This was one of those scores I left on the backburner to buy with other titles to justify the shipping, I just didn't realize it sold out without much warning from Varese...

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

It is still available from the french seller VascoCine: https://www.vascocine.fr/musique-de-film/v-w-x-y-z/williams-john/

Interesting, I didn't know about that site. But... shipping of two items to France: €6. Shipping of the same items to Norway: €40... :pat:

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

I was about to checkout with the CD at musicbox the other day, but had an error with their website. I left it for a day and when I returned to complete the checkout, it had removed Cowboys from the cart, and sold out. 

This was one of those scores I left on the backburner to buy with other titles to justify the shipping, I just didn't realize it sold out without much warning from Varese...

If it's any comfort, they've still got Stanley & Iris... but act fast!

53 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting, I didn't know about that site. But... shipping of two items to France: €6. Shipping of the same items to Norway: €40... :pat:

Too bad Norway isn't part of the EU :D

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

From Varese Sarabande : via Facebook page. 

We're thrilled to announce that we will be releasing five amazing soundtrack LPs on Record Store Day 2022: BLUE VELVET will be released as a 2-LP Deluxe Edition, THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT as a double LP with collector’s edition etching, John Williams’ THE COWBOYS Deluxe Edition on 2-disc gold vinyl, MIMIC on green vinyl in an original triptych jacket and BIG NIGHT on crystal clear vinyl.

These titles will be available on April 23, 2022, at thousands of independent record stores. For a list of participating stores and more information about these special LPs, visit RecordStoreDay.com.

THE COWBOYS – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition) by John Williams

This 50th anniversary release celebrates John Wayne and one of his finest twilight westerns with a score composed by the living legend, John Williams. The Cowboys was the maestro’s biggest pre-Star Wars score, and a much-needed restoration job—featuring a complete rebuild, remix, remastering and expansion to 36 tracks (including unearthed alternate takes)—was done for a 3,000-unit, limited-edition CD re-issue that came out in 2018 and has since sold out. The first-ever official LP release, this double-record gatefold includes extensive notes and original photos and is pressed on gold vinyl exclusively for RSD 2022.

• 4 weeks later...

Been digging back into The Cowboys recently on Spotify since seeing a performance of the Overture a few weeks back in Dublin. I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share a copy of the liner notes with me? Would love to see if there's any little details I'm missing out on!

Also, rewatched the film recently with Rydell's commentary to see if there were any JW tidbits. Nothing of note sadly, but Rydell claimed (twice!) to have "discovered" Williams for The Reivers, and that he gave him his first job. He didn't mention how they came into contact or got to know one another - but clearly it wasn't due to an appreciation of the number of scores Williams's had already written (including a western :lol:). Maybe he considered it his first "big" score? I don't really know much about how well Williams's early films were received, as I've only gotten to know them through the music!