THE COWBOYS (1972) - NEW! 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Hey ma!  This guy never heard of Jaws!

I assume they either meant to type "biggest pre-Jaws score", or they mean "biggest" in terms of number of themes, rather than units sold.

3 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Is the alternate Main Title missing from this release??

It is "missing" in the sense that it was on the old Varese CD but not this CD.  But it is not missing in the sense that it should never have been there either.  That track is not an alternate main title to this film.

So it was either a alternate of another cue mislabeled, or it was for another film.

Oh, and ORDERED!!!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is "missing" in the sense that it was on the old Varese CD but not this CD.  But it is not missing in the sense that it should never have been there either.  That track is not an alternate main title to this film.

Great news!

So, I should keep my old cd and not sell it?

what is that "alternate main title" anyway? (i hope it is explained in the liner notes of this release)

And do we know of anything else, an album edit perhaps, that could be only in the first cd?

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

So, I should keep my old cd and not sell it?

You should keep it if you like legally owning the track called "Alternate Main Title" on a pressed CD.  Sell it otherwise, as the sound quality of this new release blows the old one out of the water, and every thing else on the old CD is here.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

i hope it is explained in the liner notes of this release

It is! 

And do we know of anything else, an album edit perhaps, that could be only in the first cd?

Nope nothing else to worry about at all. 

11 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Nice cover art. This score is best experienced through the Overture performed by the Boston Pops.

It's one of Williams' most satisfying, thorough feeling encapsulation of a score in a single concert setting. The only things I think come close are the suites from Catch Me if You Can, JFK, and the old suite from the original Star Wars.

Faith in the OST, misplaced may be, as is your faith in the suite side of the John Williams oeuvre.

Speaking of Escapades, I listened to the recording on the latest Spielberg/Williams disc, for the first time a couple of days ago. I was really surprised by how much that suite's evolved! Other than Memoirs of a Geisha, I can't think of a concert arrangement he's done that has gone through as much significant change.

1 minute ago, Fal said:

I did. It was so so.

I think it's really cool! As I remarked to a friend when I first saw it, it had the two titan JWs of Hollywood. Hard to imagine a film like this getting made today.

It also turned me on to Roscoe Lee Brown, who I spend everyday wishing I was as cool as.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Speaking of Escapades, I listened to the recording on the latest Spielberg/Williams disc, for the first time a couple of days ago. I was really surprised by how much that suite's evolved! Other than Memoirs of a Geisha, I can't think of a concert arrangement he's done that has gone through as much significant change.

Shark Cage Fugue? Film > OST > Concert Arrangement
Han Solo and the Princess? ;) Film > Gerhardt Arrangement > 2018 Arrangement

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Anybody actually seen the movie The Cowboys....? 

I have.  Good movie, although if you're not into John Wayne's persona that will knock it down a few pegs.

Just listened to the sample of Wil and Ann, I got goosebumps man. (Rhyme not intentional, even though it was sensational)

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Yeah, I never got it 'cause it was always really expensive. 

IF you want to get it now I'm giving it in the price of the new one, and you get an extra unknown track! :P

Just now, Fal said:

Shark Cage Fugue? Film > OST > Concert Arrangement
Han Solo and the Princess? ;) Film > Gerhardt Arrangement > 2018 Arrangement

The concert arrangement for Jaws, after it became one, really hasn't changed much if at all (I'm sure Williams tinkers with doublings and little stuff like that). Han Solo and the Princess was musical dandruff that he brushed off his shoulder for the Gerhardt album, ignored for decades, then came out swingin' with this new arrangement, which I almost think of as his first real swing.

You might need the OST for some clean openings and endings (The Roundup/Wild Horses for instance)

1 minute ago, Fal said:

You might need the OST for some clean openings and endings (The Roundup/Wild Horses for instance)

Oops.. You're telling me now that I've listed it at ebay! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

The concert arrangement for Jaws, after it became one, really hasn't changed much if at all (I'm sure Williams tinkers with doublings and little stuff like that). Han Solo and the Princess was musical dandruff that he brushed off his shoulder for the Gerhardt album, ignored for decades, then came out swingin' with this new arrangement, which I almost think of as his first real swing.

Face of Pan? Cello Concerto?

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I will now to assess the buyworthiness of the score.

Just now, Fal said:

Face of Pan? Cello Concerto?

Cello Concerto has changed quite a bit (and it's awesome), but I was just counting concert arrangements, not pieces originally written for the concert hall--otherwise the Violin Concerto would count (he declawed the second one too much for my liking, but the latest version might be my favorite).

Hook is for hookers and fat people, so I'm not familiar with Face of Pan.

20 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I have and I really like it! Much more than I expected, in fact, because I usually can't stand John Wayne. But he was good in this role, and Bruce Dern was memorable as always. It's a good film made even better by one of Williams's greatest scores of all time.

(My favorite Williams score of all time is Jane Eyre, but sadly I doubt we'll ever get a complete edition of that, so The Cowboys is kind of the next best thing for me!)

Yavar

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hook is for hookers and fat people, so I'm not familiar with Face of Pan.

Ya crude piece of pre-chewed food!

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

If you're into westerns...

Mate, I grew up with Occhio Alla Penna/Buddy Goes West and the old German/Yugosalvian Winnetou movies!

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Hoping there's a Mattesino interview about this one coming!

Yavar

Probably at the end of the year with whatever other Williams expansions are released.