Anyone else think Spider-Man 3 is underrated?

It's not exactly a worthy followup or a great trilogy finisher, it's a bit crowded and has very awkward bits, but it's completely alright.

As I've said mentioned in another thread ages ago, S3 is a bloated mess. Four different story strands competing for attention, too many villains and too few actual feats of heroism. There is some good underneath the rubble though, I think there are elements which you can see are remnants of an older script where there's some clarity and focus in the plot. The New Goblin/Symbiote Spider-Man storyline should've been the focus, instead they added Sandman and decided to try and do Venom in the third act.

It's frustrating because there is a good film in there buried under what must be a screenplay written by a committee of dozens of people who wanted this and that.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

As I've said mentioned in another thread ages ago, S3 is a bloated mess. Four different story strands competing for attention, too many villains and too few actual feats of heroism. There is some good underneath the rubble though, I think there are elements which you can see are remnants of an older script where there's some clarity and focus in the plot. The New Goblin/Symbiote Spider-Man storyline should've been the focus, instead they added Sandman and decided to try and do Venom in the third act.

It's frustrating because there is a good film in there buried under what must be a screenplay written by a committee of dozens of people who wanted this and that.

On the flipside, we got more good Villain themes in one score than in the entirety of the MCU!

Yes! Where's the muscular thematic music gone?

Christopher Young did a good job at keeping it Elfman-esque, I love the Peter vs. Harry chase cue near the beginning of the film!

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

Yes! Where's the muscular thematic music gone?

Christopher Young did a good job at keeping it Elfman-esque, I love the Peter vs. Harry chase cue near the beginning of the film!

With or without the SM theme insert?

Just now, Margo Channing said:

Which bits did Deborah Lurie score? Was John Debney involved?

Yes and Yes, revisions and inserts.

I’ve actually never seen it.  I was a super poor college student at the time so I wasn’t seeing movies in theaters.  The buzz was so horrendous around it, and I was such a huge fan of the first two, I decided to pass.

It’s not a great film but it isn’t as bad as the internet makes out. It’s entirely watchable but it does having some boring missteps.

Too many villains, miscast Venom, and some hilarious dialogue but yeah. 

Third entries tend to suck. Raimi knew that to keep it interesting, he had to cross the limits of sanity and amplify the cheese, which had always been there. It still retains plenty of drama and Peter/MJ soapiness.

Well boo hoo. He whined about people doubting his ability to score a major film like Batman. Dude, you're an Oingo Boingo guy. I would have too. He whined when his music allegedly was drowned out in the Batman Returns sound mix. It sounds great. He whined because he didn't deliver what Sam Raimi wanted. You're an employee. Do what you're told.

Raimi said during the press for Oz that he was to blame for the falling out. He asked Elfman to forgive him (this was just after Drag Me To Hell), claiming that he missed working with him. Elfman then signed on to Spider-Man 4 (when that was still happening).

Too many villains, the deeply irritating rewrite of how Uncle Ben died in order to crowbar in some sort of 'personal' conflict between Peter and Sandman, the 'What WERE they thinking?!?' sequence where the symbiote turns Peter into an emo ... yeah, I'm not a fan. 

Didn't like the 2 Andrew Garfield ones that much, either. The first 2 Maguire-starrers and Homecoming are the best, for me.    

On 20.6.2018 at 6:38 PM, Batman's Diet Coke said:

He whined when his music allegedly was drowned out in the Batman Returns sound mix. It sounds great.

The music is too loud in Batman Returns.

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2018 at 6:51 PM, Disco Stu said:

I love the film composers who dare be less-than-groveling towards film producers and speak publicly about it.  Breath of fresh air

I wonder when JW's going to come out against Spielberg. Just think of all the dirt he's accumulated over the years!

On 6/20/2018 at 7:24 AM, Dieter Stark said:

Third entries tend to suck. Raimi knew that to keep it interesting, he had to cross the limits of sanity and amplify the cheese, which had always been there. It still retains plenty of drama and Peter/MJ soapiness.

He had A LOOOOOOOOT of studio pressure.  You think they would leave him alone after hitting so many home runs, but they meddled a lot against his protests.

In my opinion it had too many villains.  If they had just kept the Harry and Sandman story and not even introduce Venom (or emo Parker...shudder) then it would have been better.  Don't get me wrong it is one I still watch on occasion but it's not as good as the first two.  This one just had way too many problems which is why it did not do well in theaters.  Other wise had it done well we would have a 4th Sam Raimi Spidey film.

Edit: I remember too at the time this was being made a lot of people was hoping Venom would be introduced and as karelm said Raimi was under pressure from the studios and it's possible the introduction to Venom in this film was one of those pressures.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Studios are massive idiots. Post-Spiderman 2 Sony especially. That's why.

Bingo.

Edit: I swore I read a long time ago Raimi protested that he did NOT want Venom in this film and rather have him as a stand alone in a separate film....maybe the 4th? Don't quite remember the details but I do remember reading something to that regard.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Same for Whedon with Age Of Ultron really.

That all doesn't matter now that Whedon is making a sci-fi TV series for HBO.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But one wou;d expect the studio to put their fate into a director who has created a very successful franchise for them, right?

Same for Whedon with Age Of Ultron really.

Only WB seems to be like that. Oh, Chris Nolan made us a billion dollars with Batman? Here’s a blank check, do whatever you want. 

Oh ya and as mentioned before Christopher Young's score is simply great.  In my opinion the best of the three Spidey films.  He brings Elfman's themes more to life and just is more overall enjoyable. Don't care too much for Lurie's or Debney's material.  I prefer Young's full original score.