Justin Hurwitz's FIRST MAN (2018)

antovolk

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

There is such hypocrisy in film criticism when it comes to discussing film scores. Hypocrisy and a narrow-minded myopic ignorance. 

You mean like people forever living in the early 80's or getting all nasty when someone doesn't find Jurassic Park the best thing since sliced bread?

3 hours ago, publicist said:

You mean like people forever living in the early 80's or getting all nasty when someone doesn't find Jurassic Park the best thing since sliced bread?

No. I wouldn't know because I didn't read contemporary reviews of Jurrasic Park the movie.

I mean film critics today that scoff at Melody in a film score when it comes from the usual sources but would applaud it and call it bold if it came from say Johnny Greenwood.

I sense prejudice when they essentially change their estimation of a score based on who wrote it. 

But - unfortunately - neither John Williams nor James Newton Howard et al. have written a film score in recent times that merits that kind of praise. Because if Johnny Greenwood wrote stuff like i. e. War Horse or Fantastic Beasts he would be quite rightly labeled as very able talented craftsman just repeating old patterns once again. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This score is seriously indelible.  It's really stuck with me over the past year or so.  I listened to my OST assembly last night and then the Cincinnati Pops recording of the main theme.  I really think this one's gonna stick around.

It is serviceable not indelible. 

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

My shortened program of Hurwitz's score has been getting a lot of plays lately. The more time that passes, the more I realize just how much I appreciate this as one of the finer entries in recent memory.

The album is far from a worthy presentation, as this is a score whose heights are best traversed over the welcome span of half an hour (hence the playlist). And yet even within such a concise timeframe, it is abundantly clear just how well it all clicks. When put to picture, it's immensely serviceable, and as a companion to the production design and photography, it's probably the film's greatest strength. Away from the movie, however, it very much holds up as a fairly regular listen in my rotation. It's really well-scored and the highlights communicate that without a shadow of a doubt.  

There are three core ideas that hold it all together: the main theme (channeling The Blue Danube in Docking Waltz, as a big outburst in The Landing, and eerily on theremin in Quarantine), the b theme (with energetic strings in Houston, on harp in The Armstrongs, reaching for takeoff in Apollo 11 Launch, and as the ostinato through line in The Landing), and Houston/NASA (throughout the training sequences, also the basis for the End Credits). Each of these are applied and combined in a wide variety of settings to great effect, from the overtly romantic to something closer and more grounded.

It's fascinating to think that we hadn't really heard Hurwitz work outside of the jazz/swing/band idiom up to this point. While cues like Planetarium and Epilogue were an indication of strong melodic writing and a wide array of orchestral colours, it was hard to know what to expect. In the end, this score turned out to be a very good confirmation of Hurwitz's promise as a film composer. I'd really love to see him branch out, but it's clear that he's only keen on working with a director he really knows and trusts at this point. All the same, I look forward to Chazelle's next feature, Babylon, as I'm sure it will turn up some interesting results. 

I think his primary promise is still in the very heavy melodic romantic chromatic sound. 

Both in the main theme of LLL (the non song main theme) and the main theme of First Man, there is this almost throwback quality like a John Barry style grand romantic theme.

He really is quite excellent at it. That is why I think he's begging to score a Bond in the Barry mode. I mean he would just totally kill it.

I imagine he will do very well with Chazelle's Babylon as well. That is literally based in golden hollywood and would very well support a big lush romantic melodic symphonic orchestral score.