UNIVERSAL CLASSICS collection from Universal Pictures & Mike Matessino

Jay

Looks like the leak had 17 minutes of additional music for the main body of the score the promo didn't have, plus another 7 minutes of alternates

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQvQqrV5VF3rd_kzS344R6F5z-yG6_biqromvoVWtPYSK6xecG-mPljkNxYQAbYB1m8tHSzsCTkXfrl/pubhtml

Apollo 13 does not fit on one disc unless you leave off the alternates

01. 1m1 Main Titles (2:34)

02. 1m4 Lunar Dreams (2:36)

03. 2m1 Docking Simulation (Unused) (1:21)

04. 3m1 Marilyn's Nightmare (0:44)

05. 3m2 Father and Son (0:53)

06. 4m0 Re-Entry Simulation (Unused) (2:24)

07. 4m1 Night Before The Launch (1:02)

08. 5m1 The Launch (10:16)

09. 6m1 Docking (2:24)

10. 7m0 Explosion (0:18)

11. 7m1 Master Alarm (3:28)

12. 7m3 Bad News (1:04)

13. 7m4 Into The LEM (5:07)

14. 8m2 Out Of Control (1:05)

15. 8m3 Odyssey Shutdown (0:54)

16. 9m1 Dark Side Of The Moon (5:19)

17. 10m2 A New Problem (Unused) (1:42)

18. 11m2 Carbon Dioxide (5:40)

19. 12m3 Pre-Manual Burn (2:06)

20. 13m1 Manual Burn (1:32)

21. 13m3 Jim's News Cast Story (1:03)

22. 13m4 Four More Amps (3:18)

23. 15m1 Distant Thoughts (0:39)

24. 15m2 Aquaris Farewell (1:34)

25. 16m1 Re-Entry and Splashdown (9:10)

26. 16m2 End Credits (6:56)

TOTAL TIME - 1:15:09

27. 1m1alt Main Titles (Alternate) (1:46)

28. 2m1alt Docking Simulation (Alternate) (1:20)

29. 3m2alt Father and Son (Alternate) (0:53)

30. 7m1alt Master Alarm (Alternate) (3:09)

TOTAL TIME - 7:08

GRAND TOTAL TIME - 1:22:17

On 6/22/2018 at 8:09 PM, Jay said:

So

Tuesday June 26: Colossus: The Forbin Project by Michel Colombier

August: The Prisoner of Zenda by Henry Mancini

TBD: Two Mules for Sister Sara by Ennio Morricone

TBD: Airport '77 by John Cacavas

TBD: The Concorde: Airport '79 by Lalo Schifrin

TBD: Fletch Lives by Harold Faltermeye

TBD: The Sentinel by Gil Melle

Colimbier? Mancini? Morricone? Cacavas? Melle?

That's enought to make any self-respecting film music fan salivate.

I can't wait for THE FORBIN PROJECT (aka COLOSSUS).

Jeff Bond says

Would you prefer the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death? Mull it over while you listen to Michel Colombier's score to Colossus: The Forbin Project, a haunting blend of avant-garde science fiction, jazz and even religious organ music, in amazing sound put together by Mike Matessino (who should just be given a massive government grant to restore everything) with a booklet written by me:

https://www.facebook.com/jeffc.bond/posts/10214654422527715

• 3 months later...

So close, yet so far...

Truth be told, the Universal Heritage Collection was supposed to kick off with Sugarland Express, but after careful consideration the project was dropped at the request of the composer. Bummer too, because it was pretty darn awesome!

Perhaps one day...

MV

source: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=186&r=795#bottom

He’s just giving the score way more mystique than it deserves by continuing to deny its release.  It’s a fun little score for a fun little movie.  It lacks the depth of his other rural South idiomatic scores (like The River or Rosewood), but makes up for it with winking charm.  Release the tapes, Johnny!

It gives the score this veneer of unattainability.  I’m willing to bet a lot of people will order it when it is released because of this and a fair number will listen and say, “This is it???”

And I’m a fan of the score!

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m willing to bet a lot of people will order it when it is released because of this and a fair number will listen and say, “This is it???”

I had a similar reaction when I finally sat down and watched the film. But the cues for when the couple leaves the prison, and when the police chase them after mortally wounding Clovis are just to die for

Dammit, I'd really hoped JW might have softened his stance on this one just as he has expansions generally in recent years. But this would probably be a fairly recent decision, the last twelve months or so, so I'd say that's that.

They won't be asking him again for many years. 

At least we know the session tapes must be available and in reasonable condition. Would be interested to know if the tapes were at least scanned before JW nixed the release. 

Just put on other Horner scores! Chances are, you'll find whatever you guys like about Apollo 13 in there!

On 6/25/2018 at 10:18 AM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The promo is missing some essential cues like Night Before the Launch, Jim's News Cast Story and Aquarius Farewell.

You have to decide: There's either 3 completely unreleased scores remaining unreleased or a dead composer. Within the next decade the former will be replaced by the latter anyway. You all know it.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, how long do you reckon it'll take for this score to get out once JW has passed on?

Not much time will pass.

21 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

No no, wait until he has finished Episode 9.

That'd be nice.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Dammit, I'd really hoped JW might have softened his stance on this one just as he has expansions generally in recent years. But this would probably be a fairly recent decision, the last twelve months or so, so I'd say that's that.

Given the relationship LLL and MM now have with JW, he must be pretty strongly against this being released.

I've never seen the film and only have the two re-recordings (Greatest Hits and 40 Years) which are kinda cute.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Given the relationship LLL and MM now have with JW, he must be pretty strongly against this being released. 

Yep, can't see him ever relenting if he's turned it down recently, after so many years trying to change his mind.

Huge bummer about Sugarland.  At least the tapes exist and were hopefully transferred before the decision was made to not release it.

BTW, the second title in this series came out with very little fanfare.  Anybody pick it up?

https://lalalandrecords.com/prisoner-of-zenda-the-limited-edition/

prisonerofzenda-Web__76361.1534215678.jp

La-La Land Records and Universal Pictures proudly present the second title in the Universal Pictures Film Music Heritage Collection -- the world premiere release of legendary composer Henry Mancini’s (THE GREAT RACE, THE PINK PANTHER, A SHOT IN THE DARK) original motion picture score to the 1979 period comedy THE PRISONER OF ZENDA, starring Peter Sellers, Lynne Frederick and Lionel Jeffries, and directed by Richard Quine. Never before officially available in any format, Mancini’s exceedingly graceful score is a revelation – a wondrous orchestral work that expertly weaves together comedy, romance, patriotism and adventure, with all the richness and lush orchestration for which the composer is renowned. Produced, mixed and mastered by Mike Matessino from studio vault elements, this special release is limited to 3000 units and features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Jeff Bond and sharp art design by Dan Goldwasser.

TRACK LISTING:

1. The Prisoner of Zenda – Main Title 5:18
2. Gratitude of a King / The Distraction 1:27
3. Café Royal 3:14
4. Behind the Red Door 2:40
5. To the Embassy 2:02
6. Goodbye Syl and The Count’s Revenge 2:14
7. Welcome to Ruritania 2:59
8. The Attack 2:50
9. Creepy Rupert and The Kidnapping 2:50
10. The Dungeon of Zenda 2:22
11. Herald the King 0:46
12. The Coronation 2:38
13. God Help the King 1:50
14. The Reception 1:15
15. Coronation Waltz 3:00
16. Royal Galop 2:50
17. The Farewell Note 4:16
18. The Passionate Count 2:08
19. The Bomb 1:43
20. Croquette 4:07
21. Farewell, Princess Flavia 1:54
22. The Windmill Siege 4:23
23. Up Yours, Mate 2:50
24. Showdown at the Castle 3:19
25. The King Is Saved 3:25
26. The Prisoner of Zenda – End Title 2:38

ADDITIONAL MUSIC
27. Emperor Waltz (Excerpt – J. Strauss) 1:24
28. The Coronation (Film Version) 2:23
Total Album Time: 74:41

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

ALL THESE SCORES ARE YOURS EXCEPT SUGARLAND EXPRESS ATTEMPT NO LISTENING TO IT

Good one! :)

On 6/22/2018 at 9:33 PM, Disco Stu said:

So what are people’s most wanted Universal scores?

Lee Holdridge - Skyway To Death (1974) [TV]

John Cacavas - The Elevator (1974) [TV]

Columbo (1971-2003) [TV]

Howard Goodall's Bean (1997) / Mr. Bean's Holiday (2007) is Universal, too I think?

• 7 months later...

THE SENTINEL – LIMITED EDITION
LLLCD 1496
Music by Gil Mellé
Limited Edition of 2000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

STARTS SHIPPING MAY 14

Order at www.lalandrecords.com starting 5/14 at 12noon (pst)

sentinel-Web.jpgLa-La Land Records and Universal Studios proudly present the fourth title in the acclaimed Universal Pictures Film Music Heritage Collection -- the world premiere official release of the original motion picture score to the big-screen 1977 horror chiller, THE SENTINEL, starring Chris Sarandon, Cristina Raines, Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredith and Martin Balsam, and directed by Michael Winner. Never before officially available in any format, renowned composer Gil Mellé’s chilling music is an expertly experimental mix of large orchestra and electronics that has earned its place as one of the great ’70s genre scores. Unnerving and horrific, tragic, yet somehow beautiful, Mellé’s work deepens the film with astounding dimensionality. Produced, mixed and mastered by Mike Matessino from multi-track studio vault elements, this special release is limited to 3000 units, includes bonus source and musical effects cues, and features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writers Jeff Bond and James Phillips, with sharp art design by Dan Goldwasser.

TRACK LISTING:

1. There Is Danger :47
2. The Sentinel – Main Title 3:04
3. Marked Child 4:05
4. Prospective Tenant 3:00
5. First Attack :32
6. The Photo And The Panel 2:14
7. We Are Ready 1:31
8. Nightmare 2:01
9. Vacant Except 3:13
10. Screaming Into The Streets 5:03
11. Convicted Murderess / Never Saw Him Before 1:51
12. I’d Like To Take A Look At That House 3:39
13. Professor’s Translation 2:01
14. A Familiar Quotation :56
15. Archdiocese Break-in 3:59
16. God Be With You / The Franchino Car 1:31
17. Through Me, The City Of Grief 2:59
18. Death Of Michael 2:41
19. About Sentinels 1:48
20. Welcome Home 2:49
21. Be One With Us, A Queen In Our Kingdom 1:30
22. To The Depths 2:42
23. The Sentinel – End Credits 2:25
TOTAL SCORE TIME: 56:27

SOURCE MUSIC
24. Shampoo Commercial :29
25. Do Your Own Kind Of Dance 1:26
26. Memento 1:54
27. Sentinel Polka :56
28. Lipstick Commercial 1:09
29. Summer Ragtime 2:06
30. T.V. Drama 1:22
31. Edifice 1:52

BONUS:
32. Sweeteners And Musical Effects 4:56
TOTAL ALBUM TIME 73:00

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to bump this thread for 3 reasons. 1 is that out of the 7 titles mentioned in the initial press release:

On 6/22/2018 at 3:09 PM, Jay said:

Tuesday June 26: Colossus: The Forbin Project by Michel Colombier

August: The Prisoner of Zenda by Henry Mancini

TBD: Two Mules for Sister Sara by Ennio Morricone

TBD: Airport '77 by John Cacavas

TBD: The Concorde: Airport '79 by Lalo Schifrin

TBD: Fletch Lives by Harold Faltermeyer

TBD: The Sentinel by Gil Melle

6 have now been released.:

The remaining title - Two Mules for Sister Sara - was last mentioned by MV in this update:

Just recap

Coming April

THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN BIGFOOT
THE SENTINEL
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN LP

Coming April/May

THE QUINN MARTIN COLLECTION VOL 1

Coming Summer

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (1996)
DARKMAN
X FILES VOL 4
X FILES SEASON 11
FLETCH LIVES
TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA

Coming Fall

STARGATE 25TH ANNIVERSAY

In fact, out of the 6 titles he mentioned under "Summer" in that post, only 3 (Fletch Lives, Mission: Impossible and X-Files Season 11) have come out.  Mules, X-Files Volume 4, and Darkman have unknown release dates.  It should be noted too that LLL's only remaining release dates in 2019 are Oct 8, Oct 22, Nov 5, Nov 19, and Black Friday (announced Friday Nov 29, orders go live Tues Dec 3)

The second note is that the Heritage line has continued beyond these 7 titles, with this week's release of Child's Play 2 being announced as part of the line

Finally, about the prospect of Universal TV scores, Mike Matessino just posted this a little bit ago on FSM:

No TV this year. It takes a lot of time and there was a lot of work to get three Heritage titles finalized and released all within a few weeks of each other.

Since he says three titles will be released within a few weeks of each other, and the previous title before Child's Play 2 was Fletch Lives back in June... this means we have two more Universal Heritage Collection titles coming soon - within the next few weeks!

Once of them could be Sister Sara, of course.

You were actually the one who first brought the announcement to this forum

On 3/31/2019 at 7:41 PM, mstrox said:

On FSM they’re reporting that LLL is releasing expansions of both Darkman and Mission Impossible - notes at their panel at wondercon today.

UPDATE!  The rear cover art of Varese's ROOSTER COGBURN CD reveals its part of the Universal Heritage Collection!

This means this line is not exclusive to La-La-Land Records, but other labels get a piece too.

I also forgot that The Bride of Frankenstein was already announced as being part of the line too.

So the updated list of titles released so far is:

1. June 2018: Colossus: The Forbin Project by Michel Colombier (La-La Land)
  2. Aug 2018: The Prisoner of Zenda by Henry Mancini (La-La Land)
  3. Nov 2018: Airport '77 by John Cacavas / The Concorde: Airport '79 by Lalo Schifrin (La-La Land)
  4. May 2019: The Sentinel by Gil Melle (La-La Land)
  5. June 2019: Fletch Lives by Harold Faltermeyer (La-La Land)
  6. Sep 2019: Child's Play 2 by Graeme Revell (La-La Land)
  7. Sep 2019: Rooster Cogburn by Laurence Rosenthal (Varese Sarabande)
  8. Oct 2019: Bride of Frankenstein by Franz Waxman (La-La Land Records)
  9. ??? 2019/2020? Two Mules for Sister Sara by Ennio Morricone (La-La Land Records)

So that means Child's Play 2 Cogburn, and Frankensetin are the three titles Mike mentioned as coming out within weeks of each other, I suppose.  That could mean Sister Sara won't be out until November, maybe a Black Friday, or maybe it won't be out until 2020...

I grabbed Rooster Cogburn, I forgot Rosenthal scores it,  waiting on Bride to be released. 

The only other title I snagged was the Mancini one. 

How I wish Sugarland had proceeded as the inaugural release in this series. Dammit JW :(

I really hope Mike found a good way to get this score released. Would the 45th Anniversary be sufficient?

On 9/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, Koray Savas said:

That’s the only one I want!

Mike posted an update about it last week

It's already known to be coming, but patience please. This title involves UME so that means it takes time to get things worked out. We have overloaded their plate as it is.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=82346&forumID=1&archive=0

• 7 months later...

We're up to ten titles now

1. June 2018: Colossus: The Forbin Project by Michel Colombier (La-La Land)
  2. Aug 2018: The Prisoner of Zenda by Henry Mancini (La-La Land)
  3. Nov 2018: Airport '77 by John Cacavas / The Concorde: Airport '79 by Lalo Schifrin (La-La Land)
  4. May 2019: The Sentinel by Gil Melle (La-La Land)
  5. June 2019: Fletch Lives by Harold Faltermeyer (La-La Land)
  6. Sep 2019: Child's Play 2 by Graeme Revell (La-La Land)
  7. Sep 2019: Rooster Cogburn by Laurence Rosenthal (Varese Sarabande)
  8. Oct 2019: Bride of Frankenstein by Franz Waxman (La-La Land)
  9. April 2020: Mystery Men by Stephen Warbeck & Shirley Walker (La-La Land)
  10. (not out yet) Two Mules for Sister Sara by Ennio Morricone (La-La Land)

Interesting, two recent Mike Matessino / Universal Pictures releases (Darkman, Far and Away) were not branded as being part of the Heritage Collection.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Interesting, two recent Mike Matessino / Universal Pictures releases (Darkman, Far and Away) were not branded as being part of the Heritage Collection.

That’s because they are expansions of titles controlled by a different company (a record label). The Heritage Collection is only for titles Universal Picture controls outright, I think. Premieres mostly, and Sister Sarah must not have entangling perpetuity album rights I presume.

Yavar

14 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That’s because they are expansions of titles controlled by a different company (a record label). The Heritage Collection is only for titles Universal Picture controls outright, I think. Premieres mostly, and Sister Sarah must not have entangling perpetuity album rights I presume.

Yavar

On 6/22/2018 at 10:49 PM, Jay said:

To answer a few questions:

1. Exclusive to LLL? Possibly, but you never kno

2. Both original and expanded releases planned

3. TV - yes at some point, with Night Stalker, Munsters, 6 Million Dollar Man at the top of the list

4. Hope to have the first 3 out by years end, then starting in Jan 2019 every other month

MV. 

Well look at the pattern so far, @Jay — it’s been going for two years now and all 10(!) titles have been premieres. Now I know that the long-promised Two Mules for Sister Sarah would be an expansion, because there was a previous album. But look again at what I wrote:

“Premieres mostly, and Sister Sarah must not have entangling perpetuity album rights I presume.”

I’m betting (I would literally put money on it) that a primary reason Far and Away and Darkman are not in the Universal Heritage Collection is because the original albums are owned by a separate record label, which would have its own say into packaging and branding and such on an expanded edition of *their* album.

Yavar