UNIVERSAL CLASSICS collection from Universal Pictures & Mike Matessino

Jay

Two Mules for Sister Sara had an LP on MCA Records, just like Apollo 13, An American Tail, Darkman, Far & Away and The River did.  TMFSS will be branded as a Heritage title, the others were not.  Why? Who knows.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Two Mules for Sister Sara had an LP on MCA Records, just like Apollo 13, An American Tail, Darkman and Far & Away did.  TMFSS will be branded as a Heritage title, the others were not.  Why? Who knows.

Not “just like”, because the MCA releases of Sister Sara were all overseas. The U.S. album was on Kapp (unlike MCA a now *inactive* label which was indeed acquired by UMG):

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/21577/Two+Mules+For+Sister+Sara

Again, my guess is that (at least domestically), Universal Music Group does not have perpetuity rights to this title, probably because of some sort of fine print. I have no inside knowledge on this but it’s my best guess given the evidence from the past two years that the TEN film scores all released in this Universal Heritage Series so far have all been free of the entanglement of album rights owned by Universal Music Group, a completely separate entity to Universal Pictures.

Meanwhile a bunch of expansions of UMG owned albums have happened besides Far and Away and Darkman in the past two years — and Intrada has another one coming up soon (The River). None of them were branded as Universal Heritage Collection.

Yavar

Sure but the line isn't about other producers working on scores with UMG albums, the line is about Mike Matessino going through the Universal Pictures archives, which is why I only mentioned Matessino / Universal Pictures joints that came out after the line was announced in my post.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Sure but the line isn't about other producers working on scores with UMG albums, the line is about Mike Matessino going through the Universal Pictures archives, which is why I only mentioned Matessino / Universal Pictures joints that came out after the line was announced in my post.

What "line" are you talking about? Doesn't seem to be something you quoted from MV in your reply to me...somehow I'm missing your point. I presume The River is going to be another Mattesino restoration; let's see if it has any Universal Heritage Collection language on it. I doubt it will. I also investigated further on Kapp (the U.S. label that released Two Mules for Sister Sara) -- in 2017 Intrada released The Hustler on CD, which was originally a Kapp LP:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10730/.f

Now The Hustler was a Fox film and not a Universal film. However, I think this is relevant to our discussion: on the back cover, there Is NO mention of "Universal Music Group" (which bought out Kapp, which was originally an independent label I'm pretty sure):
media.nl?id=13164&c=ACCT67745&h=1a47dcbb

Now, I think that clearly indicates that Kapp did not get perpetuity licenses (at least not usually), and that even though they were later bought by UMG, UMG does not necessarily (or even likely) control any rights to titles Kapp released, like The Hustler or Two Mules for Sister Sara. Which means that the rights to that score fully reverted (at least in the United States) back to Universal Pictures, which is why that expansion can happen in the Universal Heritage Series, despite not being a premiere like the other ten titles done so far. Again, I have no inside info. But this is the conclusion my sleuthing leads me to.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What "line" are you talking about?

The Universal Heritage Collection. 

Some guy on FSM is claiming these are the next 3 titles:

Universal Pictures Film Music Heritage Collection

- 9th title: TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA by Ennio Morricone -- In June/July

- 10th title: THE THING by Ennio Morricone -- In July/August

- 11th title: CAPE FEAR COLLECTION (1962/1991) by Bernard Herrmann and Elmer Bernstein -- No date

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=224&forumID=1&threadID=67395&archive=0

But he provides no source for his claim

What do you mean?

~

MV confirms the FSM poster was just making it up

Wtf? Go peddle your lies elsewhere Troll

MV

DAMN. Well the hope was nice while it lasted! :)

I'm sure MV has other great stuff planned though.

Yavar

Yes we do. We would love to release The Thing and Cape Fear but they are not on any schedule. I dislike it when someone comes on here and speaks with authority as if they know what is happening when they clearly don't.

MV

• 2 months later...

Since we're on a new page, and Two Mules is out now, here's an updated list of the line so far

1. June 2018: Colossus: The Forbin Project by Michel Colombier (La-La Land)
  2. Aug 2018: The Prisoner of Zenda by Henry Mancini (La-La Land)
  3. Nov 2018: Airport '77 by John Cacavas / The Concorde: Airport '79 by Lalo Schifrin (La-La Land)
  4. May 2019: The Sentinel by Gil Melle (La-La Land)
  5. June 2019: Fletch Lives by Harold Faltermeyer (La-La Land)
  6. Sep 2019: Child's Play 2 by Graeme Revell (La-La Land)
  7. Sep 2019: Rooster Cogburn by Laurence Rosenthal (Varese Sarabande)
  8. Oct 2019: Bride of Frankenstein by Franz Waxman (La-La Land)
  9. April 2020: Mystery Men by Stephen Warbeck & Shirley Walker (La-La Land)
  10. July 2020: Two Mules for Sister Sara by Ennio Morricone (La-La Land)

Do any JWFanners own all 10?

Here's the additional Mike Matessino / Unviersal Pictures titles that have come out since the line started, that aren't branded as being part of the line.

1. Jun 2018: Small Soldiers by Jerry Goldsmith (Varese Sarabande)
  2. Oct 2028: Dracula by John Williams (Varese Sarabande)
  3. Jan 2019: Apollo 13 by James Horner (Intrada)
  4. Feb 2019: An American Tail by James Horner (Intrada)
  5. Aug 2019: Ghost Story by Philippe Sarde (Quartet)
  6. Dec 2019: Earthquake by John Williams (La-La Land)
  7. Jan 2020: Darkman by Danny Elfman (La-La Land)
  8. Mar 2020: Far & Away by John Williams (La-La Land)
  9. Mar 2020: The Big Fix by Bill Conti (Varese Sarabande)
  10. May 2020: The River by John Williams (Intrada)
  11. July 2020: The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by John Addison  (Quartet)

Seems Universal are very easy to work with, even factoring in all the releases prior to this heritage line. 

Wouldn't be shocked to see another Williams score or two from their vault this year. 

I am a fool and forgot at least four Matessino/Universal joints that have come out since the Heritage line started (Small Soldiers, Dracula, Ghost Story, The Big Fix).  I've gone and added them into the post above.

Overall, in the 26 months encompassing June 2018 to July 2020, there's been a whopping 22 films from Universal Pictures that have had their scores either premiere or get expanded by our specialty labels overseen by Matessino, almost one per month!  That's quite a feat!

Other than everything John Williams scored for Universal, I think the Universal titles I'd most like to see MM tackle are:

The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper by James Horner (1981)

Midnight Run by Danny Elfman (1988)

An American Tail Fievel Goes West by James Horner (1991)

Sneakers by James Horner (1992)

Death Becomes Her by Alan Silvestri (1992)

Cop and a Half by Alan Silvestri (1993)

We're Back A Dinosaur's Story by James Horner (1993)

Casper by James Horner (1995)

The Frighteners by Danny Elfman (1996)

Jurassic Park III by Don Davis (2001)

The Musketeer by David Arnold (2001)

Screenshot_2020-07-24-19-31-29~2.png

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Other than everything John Williams scored for Universal, I think the Universal titles I'd most like to see MM tackle are:

The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper by James Horner (1981)

An American Tail Fievel Goes West by James Horner (1991)

Sneakers by James Horner (1992)

Death Becomes Her by Alan Silvestri (1992)

Cop and a Half by Alan Silvestri (1993)

We're Back A Dinosaur's Story by James Horner (1993)

Casper by James Horner (1995)

Why CASPER?

I have it and think the ost is just fine.

?

I'm surprised Jurassic Park III hasn't come out yet, TBH. It's been nearly 4 years since the JP/TLW set came out and (I think) MM or MV said they'd be happy to tackle the third score.

And I don't see any convoluted licensing issues preventing its release, barring Davis/Williams/someone senior at Amblin not wanting it released.

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Why CASPER?

I have it and think the ost is just fine.

?

Clearly there's unreleased music that Jay would like or he wants the score to have the deluxe expansion treatment, which goes beyond additional material. Usually it means a nice bump in sound quality for the whole score, especially if they transfer the master tapes anew and remaster it properly (Minority Report being an excellent example).

I'd love to get Death Becomes Her, because I missed getting the OST. 

I wonder what happened to Jurassic Park III, MV had indicated on FSM that it was coming after we got the Williams JP set and then time just passed. 

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Yep! Been waiting for this one since MV casually mentioned that LLL was working on it. Probably my favorite Elfman score, and his most atypical :)

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2020 at 2:27 AM, crumbs said:

I'm surprised Jurassic Park III hasn't come out yet, TBH. It's been nearly 4 years since the JP/TLW set came out and (I think) MM or MV said they'd be happy to tackle the third score.

And I don't see any convoluted licensing issues preventing its release, barring Davis/Williams/someone senior at Amblin not wanting it released.

Clearly there's unreleased music that Jay would like or he wants the score to have the deluxe expansion treatment, which goes beyond additional material. Usually it means a nice bump in sound quality for the whole score, especially if they transfer the master tapes anew and remaster it properly (Minority Report being an excellent example).

The issue may be that in order to put this out you have to do a deal with both Universal Pictures (shouldn't be a problem) and then do a manufacturing deal with Universal Music Group. These deals aren't cheap.

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

According to this video, the Universal Heritage line is being rebranded as "Universal Classics"

The first title released under the new name will be Munster, Go Home! by Jack Marshall

Good, that original title really was unwieldy.

The latest Universal/Matessino joint is Swashbuckler by John Addison for Quartet Records

https://www.quartetrecords.com/product/swashbuckler-2-cd/

And I guess I should mention Casper as well, for La-La Land Records

https://lalalandrecords.com/casper-25th-anniversary-remastered-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The latest release from this collection is now available:

TREMORS: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1551
Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection
Music by Ernest Troost
Additional Music by Robert Folk
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

https://lalalandrecords.com/tremors-limited-edition/

UNI is the studio im most keen on There is TONS of NEVER released or barely released scores in their vaults.

Unlike most of the other studios.

Wish they could step up the pace and release it before us Silver Agers kick the bucket

• 1 month later...

I personally had no idea that was the case

Looks like its only the first 8 titles in the line (Colossus through Frankenstein), Mystery Men onward I don't see on the streaming sites

On 12/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, bruce marshall said:

UNI is the studio im most keen on There is TONS of NEVER released or barely released scores in their vaults.

Unlike most of the other studios.

Wish they could step up the pace and release it before us Silver Agers kick the bucket

On a sidenote, do you think God has access to all master recordings in the world?