UNIVERSAL CLASSICS collection from Universal Pictures & Mike Matessino

Jay

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Forgive me if I missed a thread about this, but has anyone noted that a lot of these Universal Heritage releases are now on streaming services?

Colossus: The Forbin Project Youtube Music / Spotify

The Prisoner of Zenda Youtube Music / Spotify

Airport '77 Youtube Music / Spotify

The Concorde: Airport '79 Youtube Music / Spotify

The Sentinel Youtube Music / Spotify

Fletch Lives Youtube Music / Spotify

Child's Play 2 Youtube Music / Spotify

Rooster Cogburn Youtube Music / Spotify

The Bride of Frankenstein Youtube Music / Spotify

That's awesome! I had a feeling this was coming. Glad I held off on purchasing the Airports, in fact all 4 scores are now available digitally (the first two are the OSTs though). I'm guessing no 3rd party titles will be released for obvious reasons. The pricing is also very affordable.

So today I can pick up two Orvilles and four Airports :D

Speaking of LLL titles weirdly turning up on streaming services, @Chewy discovered their expansion for Superman IV was available on Deezer, then I noticed it was available on Spotify and YouTube.

And I just discovered a bunch of Lost In Space volumes available on Apple Music which credit LLL directly, while Superman makes no reference to LLL (only WB).

On 7/24/2020 at 2:11 AM, Jay said:

Yup, Universal Pictures has really been great to our labels of late.  Let's hope the same holds true for Universal television!

Is this in relation to any specific Williams titles, like Story of a Woman? I thought the issue there was Williams himself being uninterested in releasing that material (though fortunately Intrada transferred everything when the tapes were found).

On 8/28/2020 at 5:32 AM, BryonDavis said:

The issue may be that in order to put this out you have to do a deal with both Universal Pictures (shouldn't be a problem) and then do a manufacturing deal with Universal Music Group. These deals aren't cheap.

You're on the money here. Just checked the back of my JP3 OST and the soundtrack is registered to Universal Classics Group (ironic name), a division of Universal Music Group Recordings, distributed by Decca Music Group.

My TLW OST is less detailed and only credits MCA Soundtracks and Universal Pictures, but LLL did have to license from both parties for their JP/TLW box set. I recall MV saying something to the effect of the profit margin being enough to make you cry (ie, basically nothing).

I wish Paramount would start releasing titles on digital again. We only got one batch like 3 years ago (and some of those initial ten titles have disappeared).

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is this in relation to any specific Williams titles, like Story of a Woman? I thought the issue there was Williams himself being uninterested in releasing that material (though fortunately Intrada transferred everything when the tapes were found).

I don't get why everyone on this site always assumes anything LLL related must have a JW connection.

I was talking about Universal Television's amazing catalog of television score, such as

The Munsters, Dragnet, McCloud, Night Gallery, Columbo, Kojak, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, The A-Team, Miami Vice, Airwolf, Quantum Leap, Sliders... to just name a small portion of their 7 decade history

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't get why everyone on this site always assumes anything LLL related must have a JW connection.

We must not interfere with @crumbs' official duties as JWFan Chief Morale Officer.  He must always keep everyone's spirits up that all our JW release wishes are just around the corner!

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We must not interfere with @crumbs' official duties as JWFan Chief Morale Officer.  He must always keep everyone's spirits up that all our JW release wishes are just around the corner!

I'm still excited for the 20th Anniversary expansion of Amistad that I wouldn't shut up about 4 years ago. 

I'm sure it's just running a littttle late on the approval front. 

• 2 weeks later...

Banning by Quincy Jones is the 13th title in the series (12th released by LLL, 3rd under the new "Universal Classics" branding)

Main post updated

BANNING: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1554
Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection
Music by Quincy Jones
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

STARTS SHIPPING FEB 2

Order yours starting FEB 2 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

Banning_Web.jpg

La-La Land Records and Universal Studios proudly present the twelfth title within the acclaimed Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection – BANNING: LIMITED EDITION, music by the legendary Quincy Jones (IN COLD BLOOD, THE COLOR PURPLE). This limited edition CD release of Quincy Jones’ original motion picture score to 1967’s big-screen golf drama BANNING, starring Robert Wagner, Jill St. John and James Farentino and directed by Ron Winston, marks the official world-premiere release of BANNING’s original film music!

Composer Jones’ tuneful and jazzy score, performed by a 55 piece orchestra, showcases the maestro at his best, highlighting his arranging and compositional skills while expertly providing the musical foundation for the film’s drama and reality. The film’s striking main theme and song “The Eyes of Love,” was Academy-Award nominated and the version heard in the film, sung by Gil Bernal, makes its debut on this CD release. Produced, mixed, edited and mastered by Mike Matessino, this limited release of 3000 units features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Jon Burlingame and art direction by Mark Banning.

TRACK LISTING:

1. The Eyes Of Love 4:14
2. Main Title 4:07
3. Don’t Make Waves 2:41
4. Members Only 1:20
5. Dental Fleece 1:12
6. The Eyes Of Love (Instrumental) 2:29
7. Poker / Take Tea And Me 4:41
8. Banning Can’t Forget 2:09
9. Relay Chase 4:48
10. Mad Pad / A Lack Of Lass 2:24
11. Fixation 1:29
12. The Set-Up 4:42
13. Rendezvous / Price Control 3:26
14. I Want You 1:13
15. The Tournament 3:25
16. Trying Tie 3:15
17. Sudden Death 4:20
18. Finale 1:37
19. End Title 1:00
20. Main Title (Alternate) 3:55

Total Time: 58:53

https://lalalandrecords.com/banning-limited-edition/

• 3 months later...

So, this line began in June 2018 and now that it's May 2021, it's been running for 3 full years

In that time we got 13 releases (12 by LLL and 1 by Varese), or about 1 new title every quarter

I wonder what will be next?

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bet we'll get something old...

Oh man...sign me up for them mining some Golden Age Universal scores. All of those Miklos Rozsa noirs from the 40s in particular (a few of which were released on bootleg LPs, but I'd hope to get better sound on official CD premieres)... Frank Skinner's score for Hitchcock's Saboteur... oh yeah and his score for Arabian Nights is just wonderful. Yeah, I could definitely go for something old.

Yavar

I vote for some 90s scores that never had an OST album

Cop and a Half by Alan Silvestri!

Career Opportunities by Thomas Newman!

King Ralph by James Newton Howard!

In The Name of the Father by Trevor Jones!

The Flintstones by David Newman!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bet we'll get something old...

Hopefully!

Old but a premiere.

This is really the only line of releases that excites me!

THE GROUNDSTAR CONSPIRACY would be a dream come true.

Also, tv scores by Billy Goldenberg!

49 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Hopefully!

Old but a premiere.

This is really the only line of releases that excites me!

THE GROUNDSTAR CONSPIRACY would be a dream come true.

Also, tv scores by Billy Goldenberg!

I'm particularly interested in a certain set of TV scores by not only Goldenberg but Gil Melle, Oliver Nelson, Patrick Williams, Jeff Alexander, Bernard Segall, Dick DeBenedictis... you know, a certain set of TV scores that has TONS more sales potential than anything else these talented composers ever wrote. There's even an original pilot TV movie score by Dave Grusin that could be included.

Bruce knows of what I speak...

Are you familiar with that one Saruman gif? - Album on Imgur

Any other fans here?

Yavar

11 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Oh man...sign me up for them mining some Golden Age Universal scores. All of those Miklos Rozsa noirs from the 40s in particular (a few of which were released on bootleg LPs, but I'd hope to get better sound on official CD premieres)... Frank Skinner's score for Hitchcock's Saboteur... oh yeah and his score for Arabian Nights is just wonderful. Yeah, I could definitely go for something old.

Yavar

I would be up for some noir Rozsa. :)

Karol

• 6 months later...

LLL's physical CD edition of Love Actually is receiving Universal Classics branding

LOVE ACTUALLY: LIMITED EDITION    LLLCD 1581
Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection
Music by Craig Armstrong
Limited Edition of 2000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $21.98
STARTS SHIPPING DEC 7
Digital Download format available from Back Lot Music at online digital music retailers.
La-La Land Records and Universal Pictures proudly present the thirteenth title within the acclaimed Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection – LOVE ACTUALLY:  LIMITED EDITION, music by renowned composer Craig Armstrong (THE BONE COLLECTOR, MOULIN ROUGE!, THE GREAT GATSBY). This limited edition CD release of Craig Armstrong’s original motion picture score to 2003’s big-screen, holiday-themed romantic comedy LOVE ACTUALLY, starring Alan Rickman, Bill Nighy, Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant, and written and directed by Richard Curtis, marks the score’s official premiere CD release!
Composer Armstrong’s notable score is a moving, dramatic and joyful symphonic work that weaves the film’s complex tapestry of romance, comedy and emotion in wondrous fashion. Produced by Neil S. Bulk, mastered by Doug Schwartz and approved by the composer, this expanded limited CD release of 2000 units presents the film score, plus additional music, and features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Jeff Bond, (featuring new comments from Craig Armstrong), and art direction by Dan Goldwasser.

I believe this is the first and only entry in the line that was produced by Bulk instead of Matessino

On 18/05/2021 at 1:19 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

I'm particularly interested in a certain set of TV scores by not only Goldenberg but Gil Melle, Oliver Nelson, Patrick Williams, Jeff Alexander, Bernard Segall, Dick DeBenedictis... you know, a certain set of TV scores that has TONS more sales potential than anything else these talented composers ever wrote. There's even an original pilot TV movie score by Dave Grusin that could be included.

Bruce knows of what I speak...

Are you familiar with that one Saruman gif? - Album on Imgur

Any other fans here?

Yavar

Oh man, I've been hoping for a release of Columbo's scores since I discovered the series as a child. I often find myself humming Patrick Williams's theme from Try and Catch Me.

2003 hardly qualifies as a " classic " title.

I recently watched some Billy Goldenberg scored episodes frm NAME OF THE GAME. They include songs and score and are phenomenal.

You can't even get these shows on DVD.

According to his biographer he had a vault on his apartment with tapes of all his scores.

Well?

3 hours ago, Once said:

Oh man, I've been hoping for a release of Columbo's scores since I discovered the series as a child. I often find myself humming Patrick Williams's theme from Try and Catch Me.

It's great. Vivaldi would be proud!😍

To date this series has focused entirely on theatrical films, and not television work.  Perhaps a dive into Universal's television catalog is also in the works, either under this branding or a new one.  Who knows!

• 1 year later...

*bump!*

2022 saw 4 more additions to this collection:

Videodrome by Howard Shore is the 15th title in the series, and 14th to be released by La-La Land

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid by Miklos Rózsa is the 16th title in the series, and the first to be released by Intrada

Scarface by Giorgio Moroder is the 17th title in the series, and 15th to be released by La-La Land

Frenzy by Ron Goodwin (and Henry Mancini) is the 18th titles in this series, and the first to be released by Quartet

And 6 more Universal Pictures titles produced by Mike as well - Jurassic Park, ET, Death Becomes Her, Grinch, The Burbs, and Mary Queen of Scots

So now 4 specially labels have released titles in this series - LLL, Varese, Intrada, and Quartet!  18 titles in 4 1/2 years is very impressive!

Just as impressive is that Mike has been involved with a whopping 23 other titles licensed from Universal Pictures since the line started, as well!  

So that makes 41 titles over 4 1/2 years, or more than 9 per year!

Universal Pictures has been very good to the specialty labels!

• 8 months later...

Added The Munsters and The Lost World to the main post

We're up to 19 Heritage/Classics branded titles (16 LLL, 1 Varese, 1 Intrada, 1 Quartet), and 24 non-branded Matessino/Universal joints since the series started

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Custom cover artists raferjanders at the Film Score Monthly board has provided some amazing new custom art for this exciting Oliver Nelson twofer!

53628779936_41e95b9032_o.png

53628228667_cbf3276fb7_o.png

53626977966_b41087fc40_o.png

Oh yes, these will look nice in my iTunes...

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...