Which director's films have led to the Giacchino scores you like most?

Jay

Which director's films have led to the Giacchino scores you like most?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which director's films have led to the Giacchino scores you like most?

• Brad Bird 2004-2018 (The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Tomorrowland, Incredibles 2)
    • Thomas Bezucha 2005-2011 (The Family Stone, 50/50)
    • J.J. Abrams 2006-2013 (Mission: Impossible 3, Star Trek, Super 8, Star Trek Into Darkness)
    • Matt Reeves 2008-2017 (Cloverfield, Let Me In, Dawn of the POTA, War of the POTA)
    • The Wachowskis 2008-2015 (Speed Racer, Jupiter Ascending)
    • Pete Docter 2009-2015 (Up, Inside Out)
    • Colin Trevorrow 2015-2017 (Jurassic World, Book of Henry)

I didn't realize until just now that MG has now scored more films for Brad Bird than he has for JJ Abrams!

Of course, MG also scored many television episodes JJ directed - the pilots to Alias, Lost, and Undercovers, plus 3 additional episodes of Alias.  But theatrically, Bird now reigns supreme!

Vote now, and vote wisely!

I had a hard time choosing between Bird and Abrams, since Super 8 and Tomorrowland are my two favorite theatrical MG scores.  But even though I love his first two Star Trek scores, I like Ghost Protocol's score more than III's, and Star Trek Beyon'd score more than the first two, and have been really into the Incredibles music lately, so ended up voting for Bird.  

I voted Brad Bird because he seems to bring out the best out of Giacchino. His weakest score of the bunch, Ghost Protocol, is still quite fun.

Karol

The Wachowskis were able to get something pretty special out of him for Jupiter Ascending, especially since he wrote most of the music before they shot the film...  but I can't get into Speed Racer at all.

Well, yes. Jupiter might be actually my favourite Giacchino. But I also don't exactly love Speed Racer. But with Brad Bird, you get a great consistency.

Karol

BTW I thought I'd look at some of the directors that MG scored one film for and see what the chances are they might collaborate again

• Brad Silberling (Land of the Lost) - he has directed one film since, An Ordinary Man, scored by Christophe Beck.  Unlikely to reunite with MG I'd say.

• John Lasseter (Cars 2) - With him being kicked out of Pixar/Disney, he may never direct another film.  Unlikely to reunite.

• Jonathan Levine (50/50) - Since 50/50, he had Marco Beltrami score Warm Bodies and The Night Before, and Theodore Shapiro & Chrispy Bacon score Snatched.  Unlikely to reunite.

• Andrew Stanton (John Carter) - After it bombed, he returned to animation, and directed Finding Dory, scored by Thomas Newman (who scored Finding Nemo).  The only live-action he's directed since is 2 episodes of Stranger Things.  Still, if he directs another theatrical film, I could see MG scoring it if its not another Pixar sequel.
  •  Shawn Levy (This Is Where I Leave You) - his next film is an adaptation of the Uncharted video game series.  Could MG score it?  Hard to say.  Christophe Beck scored all the other comedies he directed, and then Alan Silvestri scored all 3 Night at the Museum films, and Danny Elfman scored Real Steel.  An MG reunion is possible, but not likely I'd say

• Justin Lin (Star Trek Beyond) - MG of course got the gig since he scored the first 2 films and JJ was still producing this one.  With Lin moving on to direct the next two Fast & Furious movies, a reunion is unlikely I'd say.

• Scott Derickson (Doctor Strange) - I'd say Christopher Young is more likly than MG to score his next film.  MG likely got the gig more due to his prior involvement with Disney than Derickson's choice.  Derickson's only gig since is directing a TV pilot (Snowpiercer)

• Gareth Edwards (Rogue One) - Since he wanted Desplat for Rogue One and the studio took the film and composer away from him, I'd say a reunion is unlikely - especially since from all accounts MG really worked with Tony Gilroy and not Edwards

• Jon Watts (Spider-man: Homecoming) - Watts is returning to direct Spider-man: Far From Home and I'd say Giacchino is a mortal lock to score it. Coming summer 2019!

• Lee Unkrich (Coco) - His next film could juts as easily be scored by Giacchino or any of the other Pixar regulars.  who knows!

I voted JJ.

Though I had already heard The Incredibles, it was M:I: III that I really got into Michael Giacchino's music, also LOST which I started to watch through not long after.

I really liked the way he used the M:I theme and also quoted Lalo Schifrin's The Plot theme in the score. And then Star Trek 2009 came and I got into that quite a bit too.

M:I:III, Star Trek and LOST music got a lot of playtime during that time period.

Bird because of The Incredibles and Ratatouille two of the most "fun" ones he has ever done and even two of the best ones, the runner up being Docter.

I can't say I care about any Giacchino music though even if I like little of it.