John Powell's Solo vs Michael Giacchino's Rogue One (post Solo release poll)

King Mark

John Powell's Solo vs Michael Giacchino's Rogue One  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like better?

• Solo
    • Rogue One

Could you please revise this poll to make it more palatable? You could ask these questions:

Rate Solo:

Rate Rogue One:

Which score do you like better on film?

Which score do you like better on album?

Which film do you like better?

Potential titles:

Rate Solo and Rogue One!

Which Star Wars spinoff do you like more?

Top 5 tracks from Solo and Rogue One

With all of this, it's imperative you remember that you don't really care about these questions at all, or at the very least curious in the most superficial of ways. This format allows posters to give declarative answers that feed into an incredibly boring topic, becoming a wall memorial of opinion monologues and soliloquies, stimulating almost no conversation whatsoever, certainly none that are interesting.

If you could make these changes to your poll format, I and many others would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

What is wrong here? not a single giacchino vote to this point. Omg the next JW gets 0 votes, as he deserves.

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

Why are you guys so mean?

What are you talking about? 

11 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Could you please revise this poll to make it more palatable? You could ask these questions:

Rate Solo:

Rate Rogue One:

Which score do you like better on film?

Which score do you like better on album?

Which film do you like better?

Potential titles:

Rate Solo and Rogue One!

Which Star Wars spinoff do you like more?

Top 5 tracks from Solo and Rogue One

With all of this, it's imperative you remember that you don't really care about these questions at all, or at the very least curious in the most superficial of ways. This format allows posters to give declarative answers that feed into an incredibly boring topic, becoming a wall memorial of opinion monologues and soliloquies, stimulating almost no conversation whatsoever, certainly none that are interesting.

If you could make these changes to your poll format, I and many others would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I like my poll the way it is...thank you

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

I like my poll the way it is...thank you

How quick you squander the power of the JWFan poll! We have a legend who cranks out poll masterpiece after poll masterpiece. His peak is greater than Williams' from 75-84...and yet you spit in his face. 

7 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

How quick you squander the power of the JWFan poll! We have a legend who cranks out poll masterpiece after poll masterpiece. His peak is greater than Williams' from 75-84...and yet you spit in his face. 

He is an original Phantom Zone trio member, bow, yield, kneel. Show some respect buddy.

22 hours ago, King Mark said:

Surprised this poll wasn't done yet

You just don't visit JWFan often enough any more to notice these things

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27584-michael-giacchinos-rogue-one-v-john-powells-han-solo-score/

I visit JWfan every 5 minutes

I don't remember a poll that was done one year before Solo came out and was meant as a joke poll at the time

I'd actually have a tough time picking between these right now.

I have a lot more exposure to Rogue One than Solo, which tends to create some bias toward Rogue One. I'm also such a big fan of the way Giacchino scored the last six minutes or so of Rogue One that I'm willing to forgive some of the earlier passages that are less deftly scored. I like his handling of Williams' themes, and the new themes are enjoyable if derivative. On the whole, it's an interesting experiment in blending Giacchino's sound with a bit of Williams', and I really appreciate the fact that the only (near) direct quote from a previous film comes at the very end, as the film is linking up its final seconds with the start of ANH. My only huge problem with this score - at least initially - was the first big statement of the "hope" theme over the opening title. Hearing it for the first time, I was so completely expecting the first two notes to continue as a brief statement of the Star Wars main theme...it just sounded plain wrong when it instead went to Giacchino's theme. I've gotten kinda used to it through repeated listens, but it definitely bothered me at first.

On the other hand, I walked out of the theater humming Williams' new Han Solo theme...and then it was stuck in my head for about a week after I got the album. Not sure how I feel about that. There's some really fun, interesting brass writing throughout the score, and despite using Williams' themes, Powell mostly sticks to his own "sound." It's also got "Chicken in the Pot", perhaps the most wonderfully alien-sounding source cue to grace a Star Wars feature film so far. But then again, one thing that massively annoys me about this score is the stylistic whiplash of "Reminiscence Therapy" - we've spent the whole movie building up a new Star Wars sound, when suddenly we're hit over the head with lengthy, clumsy, direct quotes from several OT cues. Granted, the music being quoted is some of my favorite material of all time - and I even enjoy the new Powell-ized arrangement of "Here They Come" for what it is - but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the score. (Not to mention the fact that we'd already gotten a nostalgic reprise of "Here They Come" just five months prior. Any sentimental effect it might have otherwise had was completely wiped out by the fact that Lucasfilm had pulled the exact same trick in TLJ.)

Sooooooooo...I dunno. Maybe I'll vote once I've had more time to absorb Solo.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how much I hate the statements of the Star Wars main theme in Solo. They sound so cheesy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, Nick Parker said:

Well said.

Rogue One by is by far a more entertaining Star Wars score.

Williams Solo’s theme is decent but you might as well call it the adventures of Poe Dameron part 2.

Its no where near as aspiring as Rey’s theme.