Anyone else think James Horner is better than John Williams?

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Yes!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

No. 

Not long after, they found a cure. A goddamn cure!

Ok: THE SPITFIRE GRILL vs THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

M'lud, the case for the defence rests.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Duck season!

3 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Rabbit season!

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Duck season!

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Rabbit season!

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:
6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Duck season!

6 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Rabbit season!

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Duck season!

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

No

Just no. Stop fake news-ifying my posts! 

Horner will always be my favorite composer, and I've always believed his dramatic and emotional instincts to be second to none, but I don't find anyone "better" than anyone else. 

Of course Williams and Zimmer fans think their guy is "better" than everyone else, but that's fandom for ya. 

I really like Horner and I find a more emotional resonance in his music. I find it easier to connect to a lot of his stuff. 

But Williams is better at absolutely everything else and his body of work is outstanding and unparalleled. His ability to sum up an entire story or character in 5-7 notes is simply breathtaking.

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, John Powell and Bruce Broughton all come to mind in regards to composers I'd rank above J. Williams.

I still can’t decide if you’re a parody or just some strange alter ego of Steef...

I prefer Williams's music, but, when I was young (a long time ago, yeah) Horner was with Goldsmith, Silvestri and Broughton, the TOP guys who's a buy all the CD.

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I really like Horner and I find a more emotional resonance in his music. I find it easier to connect to a lot of his stuff. 

But Williams is better at absolutely everything else and his body of work is outstanding and unparalleled. His ability to sum up an entire story or character in 5-7 notes is simply breathtaking.

This.

Is absolutely right.

For me, John Williams> James Horner> Jerry Goldsmith.  

19 minutes ago, publicist said:
  17 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Jerry Goldsmith>John Williams>James Horner

This.

That looks much more correct even if I personally would give Williams the edge over Goldsmith. But from an objective standpoint I can understand the reasoning behind ranking Goldsmith above Williams though.

Goldsmith was more progressive and inventive than both Williams and certainly Horner. And had chops beyond Horner craft-wise. Add to that that Horner was a hack.

Horner was not really a hack, but obviously suffered from some unfortunate character traits that made him look worse than he was. I mean, just one note at a cd back or end credits roll that says 'Hey, i took my cues from Khatchaturian here' would have made a whole difference.

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

Bernard Hermann is better than everything. Fact!

Too often left out of these discussions on JWFan.  Williams, Herrmann, and Goldsmith are on a tier by themselves for my listening pleasure.  Next tier down would be the likes of Horner, the Newmans, Korngold, Rozsa, etc.  Not trying to categorize based on importance or influence, just my taste.