• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find what wins Oscars interesting.  It’s how Hollywood chooses to represent itself.  There’s no such thing as snubs.  This is the healthy way to view the Oscars.  A snapshot of Hollywood’s self imag

Ok, that's a little touch of humour. ¬† But some years... admit... grrrr¬†ūüėú ¬† Academy Awards ¬† 2017 ¬† ¬†The Shape of Water - Alexandre Desplat 2015 ¬† ¬†The Hateful Eight -

Williams should have won 3/4 of those.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Why is Williams not listed in the relevant years? He's his own biggest contender, the only reason Williams didn't win for CE3K is because that bastard Williams won with Star Wars.

OK I can add them!

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

Why is Williams not listed in the relevant years? He's his own biggest contender, the only reason Williams didn't win for CE3K is because that bastard Williams won with Star Wars.

"You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender! I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which I am."

John Williams either said this to a composer's photo, or a mirror, depending on the year.

2 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Williams should have won 3/4 of those.

Seeing them all compiled in one place, it is genuinely surprising to see some of the ones that took an Oscar. Really, I imagine the reigning sentiment is "Hey, this guy already has five, let's give others a chance".

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Seeing them all compiled in one place, it is genuinely surprising to see some of the ones that took an Oscar. Really, I imagine the reigning sentiment is "Hey, this guy already has five, let's give others a chance".

Problem is, many of his snubs came before he had 5.  At the very least, it is criminal thathe did not win for Superman, Empire, Born on the Fourth, Far and Away, WarHorse and The Book Thief.  The last one may be a bit subjective.

Problem is, many of his snubs came before he had 5.  At the very least, it is criminal thathe did not win for Superman, Empire, Born on the Fourth, Far and Away, WarHorse and The Book Thief.  The last one may be a bit subjective.

Or Jurassic Park, where he lost to that Williams guy!

I can see some of the rationale that might've been behind those decisions. With Empire, they probably didn't want to award it a sequel of an Oscar-winning score.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

I can see some of the rationale that might've been behind those decisions. With Empire, they probably didn't want to award it a sequel of an Oscar-winning score.

Yeah, nevermind that it is one of the greatest scores of all time.  May the best score win, I say.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Thank God, JW was not nominated in 1986 for an Oscar. Even The Mission was not enough exceptional to fight against that Jazz revival.... mew...

Worst. Snub. Ever.

That jazz thing was forgotten in a couple of weeks.  The Mission is eternal.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Thank God, JW was not nominated in 1986 for an Oscar. Even The Mission was not enough exceptional to fight against that Jazz revival.... mew...

Are you dissing Barry's Out if Africa? That's brilliant and among his very best!

6 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Worst. Snub. Ever.

That jazz thing was forgotten in a couple of weeks.  The Mission is eternal.

I still wonder how Morricone survived to that.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you dissing Barry's Out if Africa? That's brilliant and among his very best!

1-9-8-6!

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I hope there's no witness to that...

...but the score is indeed good! Strangely soothing.

MAIN TITLE/JOURNEY TO BALTIMORE is...cosmic.

Let's face it, there are some scores that have OSCAR written all over them (TITANIC; DANCES WITH WOLVES; CHARIOTS OF FIRE; THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING) despite how good the opposition is. That JW is even considered, is a) not always a foregone, and b) an immense honour.

JW is the most honoured musician alive - probably who ever lived - and that means more to me than all the Academy Awards he's never won.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

...the Rick Rubin years, the Berlin Trilogy years, and don't forget the night that JW overdosed on Kryptonite, when SUPERMAN didn't win, turned into a rampaging maniac, and finally fought himself for the last black turtleneck, at Macy's.

B2FFBEB1-5A3D-4F66-BD11-86DC69001B0E.jpeg

12 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Or Jurassic Park, where he lost to that Williams guy!

These two weren't even nominated :o