What movies from the past 10 years do you think will be considered classics?

John

Which movies that have come out in the past 10 years or so (2008 to 2018) do you think will eventually be considered classic films? Keep in mind a "classic" doesn't necessarily mean it's one of the best movies ever, just a film that will stand the test of time and leave a lasting impression on movie fans and the pop culture landscape.

For example, some of my choices would be:

Fantastic Mr. Fox - a beautifully animated stop-motion comedy, with a sharp wit and an absolutely dynamite voice cast.

La La Land - an infectiously optimistic and colorful musical with endearing characters and a memorable, upbeat score.

Avatar - flawed, no doubt, but the sheer power of the storytelling along with the revolutionary VFX (as well as the upcoming sequels) make this a film I feel will continue to be discussed by both movie fans and the general public for a long time.

I do agree with La La Land.

The first movie that came into my mind was Iron Man, not because it's some masterpiece (it's fun enough), but because of what it started - maybe the first Avengers, too. Dark Knight for the same reason.

Logan as a cult classic?

How to Train Your Dragon as a kids' classic? Or for the score at least?

King's Speech in more "pretentious" circles?

Inception or Interstellar, maybe?

Star Wars 7 and 8, because they're Star Wars.

This was basically me throwing possible stuff up without TOO much thought yet.

It's interesting to see, with the ever-increasing prevalence of streaming services, what media trickles on and captures a potentially new audience. For example, one of my friend's teenage daughter loves stuff like Teen Wolf with Michael J. Fox because she found it on Netflix! So with that in mind...

I feel like Selick's Coraline will be a "cult" film for kiddos and teens.

The Dark Knight - considered one of the best portrayals of one of the most enduring pop culture icons

The Avengers, probably - the first big culmination of a cinematic universe never before realized on that scale. Apparently it's pretty likeable, too.

It Follows - A great film that's just as much if not more so a meditation on aging than a creepy horror film, with a cool soundtrack.

- Carol (2015)

- Frances Ha (2012)

- Two Days, One Night (2014)

- Under The Skin (2013)

- The White Ribbon (2009)

- Wild Tales (2014)

- Birdman (2014)

- TDK (2008)

- The Social Network (2010)

- There Will Be Blood (2007)

- Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Some perceptive choices, Alex! Completely agree on Under the Skin, Mad Max, and The Social Network! Sad to think Birdman would be considered a classic, though....:(

The BloodBoals of the world swear by it so it's out of our hands.

34 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

For example, one of my friend's teenage daughter loves stuff like Teen Wolf with Michael J. Fox because she found it on Netflix! So with that in mind...

You sure it wasn’t the tween reboot series?

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You sure it wasn’t the tween reboot series?

She explicitly clarified that it had Michael J Fox, I think she's at the age where it's cool to be retro, so she wouldn't be caught dead watching a newer incarnation of something when there's an older version available, for max street cred.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will personally go out and destroy every digital disc of Birdman and delete it from every hard drive and server in the world before I will let that garbage be considered a classic.

I was so disappointed by that pretentious, blowhard, hypocritical tripe that it turned me away from The Revenant, even though I love the score.

Many weird choices here. Movies that exactly meet the contemporary expectation are always good candidates to be forgotten after a while. La La Land and Avatar are these kind of movies. Future classics are usually movies that were either acclaimed zeitgeist-independantly or later revealed as one of the cinema's great masterpieces that nobody recognized as such:

The Dark Knight

Inglourious Basterds

Inception

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo

Django Unchained

Grand Budapest Hotel

Dallas Buyers Club

The Wolf of Wall Street

Arrival

Dunkirk

There are also some movies that will probably never become classics, although they deserve to:

In Bruges

Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 1

War Horse

Cosmopolis

Nightcrawler

Inherent Vice

Sicario

Steve Jobs

Silence

mother!

Let's not forget the temporarily hyped ones:

Birdman

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Revenant

La La Land

The Shape of Water

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Inarritu is such an adolescent idea of what a director should be.  He's an untalented, cynical hack and always has been.  Definitely the least of the Three Amigos.

I think he's definitely talented: one of the things that made Birdman frustrating to watch was there were a lot of elements to make it a good film, even, dare I say it, a classic!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Nobody recognized as such?  Most of those movies are Best Picture nominees, many are winners.  All were incredibly well reviewed and popular.

That was 1 of 2 options I mentioned. Dragon Tatoo, for example, is underestimated, but it will stand the test of time.

Some of these films, however, namely Dunkirk and Arrival, really are big-screen films.

I think paramount to the longevity of a "classic" is its ability to remain captivating regardless of format. I can watch the Dark Knight on my iPhone and be engaged. Dunkirk, however?

I feel like this thread is just going to become a long list of decent to good films over the last 10 years.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

That was 1 of 2 options I mentioned. Dragon Tatoo, for example, is underestimated, but it will stand the test of time.

I dunno.  Most people I know still say the Swedish movies are better.  I've only seen Fincher's and thought it was pretty good.  Gone Girl and Zodiac are better.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sometimes artists just rub you the wrong way for whatever reason.

Oh, you don't know the reason? Obnoxious characters that all are so witty, snappy, and profound with every line they utter,  with contrived moments and exposes on the ephemeral nature of fame and having a voice in the modern digital realm, in the same movie some unlikeable jackass played by Edward Norton paradoxically spends every second throwing a hissy fit directed to other unlikeable jackasses over truth and being real in the most staged way possible, without an iota to suggest that it's self-aware? 

Hope that helps

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I dunno.  Most people I know still say the Swedish movies are better.  I've only seen Fincher's and thought it was pretty good.  Gone Girl and Zodiac are better.

The usual Fincher problematic:

Zodiac and Dragon Tatoo are his truly incredible masterpieces. Seven, Fight Club and Gone Girl are the movies he's known for.

It was shocking to see him go from a Stieg Larson novel to this pretentious shit called Gone Girl which he still managed to turn into a good movie (good, not great). It's still a waste of his enormous talent.

Mindhunter was a waste of his talent.  Hated that show.

Gone Girl pretentious?  It's an airport paperback juicy thriller.  The opposite of pretentious!  I loved that movie.  Zodiac is his masterpiece for me, though.

13 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Many weird choices here. Movies that exactly meet the contemporary expectation are always good candidates to be forgotten after a while. La La Land and Avatar are these kind of movies. Future classics are usually movies that were either acclaimed zeitgeist-independantly or later revealed as one of the cinema's great masterpieces that nobody recognized as such:

At least the way I'm looking at it, are films that say ten years from now, people will still feel compelled to check out, moreso than classics in the apex of quality and cinematic merit.

There's so much thrown at audiences these days, there's less room for the makings of modern "classics" these days. You can thank Netflix and Marvel for much of that.

Some films that might come close to carrying that kind of legacy and be remembered ten years from now:

There Will Be Blood

The Social Network

The Tree of Life

Inception

Inglorius Basterds

Under the Skin

Am I the only one who prefers Django Unchained to Basterds?  Don't get me wrong, I effing love Basterds.  But Django was the next level for me.  DiCaprio should've gotten Waltz's Oscar.  Although Waltz is of course phenomenal, he had already gotten the one for Basterds.

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Inarritu is such an adolescent idea of what a director should be.  He's an untalented, cynical hack and always has been.  Definitely the least of the Three Amigos.

Iñarritu is a genius!

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Mindhunter was a waste of his talent.  Hated that show.

Gone Girl pretentious?  It's an airport paperback juicy thriller.  The opposite of pretentious!  I loved that movie.  Zodiac is his masterpiece for me, though.

Mindhunter was mostly angsty, vapid, stylized nonsense.

Gone Girl was good pulpy Fincher fun.

2 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I can't see any of this crap being a classic.

Twin Peaks: The Return

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Blade Runner 2049

I can see that picking up a gradual following like its predecessor, for sure.

2 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I can't see any of this crap being a classic.

They might not necessarily be the best films in the last ten years (though some of them can certainly lay claim to that title), but they are the movies that will be remembered and discussed years from now.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyway, forget all y'all, Bridge of Spies and Lincoln are both classics, two of Spielberg's best, and two of the best mainstream entertainments of this decade.  Stu out!

Never saw the former, but I would put up Lincoln as a shining jewel of its kind. It will definitely have a long life in American high schools.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I the only one who prefers Django Unchained to Basterds?  Don't get me wrong, I effing love Basterds.  But Django was the next level for me.  DiCaprio should've gotten Waltz's Oscar.  Although Waltz is of course phenomenal, he had already gotten the one for Basterds.

Both movies are equally outstanding. Why should you be the only one the prefer Django? BTW, I completely agree.

I enjoyed Hateful Eight more than Django I think, but love Basterds much more than either.  I look forward to his "final" film coming out soon

I prefer Hateful Eight to Django, though the latter features strong performances. Basterds is leagues ahead of both and stands up with Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's very best.