Roy Budd conducting the London Symphony Orchestra - Big Screen Adventure aka Greatest Action Hits aka Film Classics, Vol. 1

David Vincent

B000005QFE.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Does anybody have this album and can tell me what are the track durations ?

Thanks in advance ;)

I have the first release of that recording (1992), with different artwork and title ("Big Screen Adventure") but the exact same contents:

01 - "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK/INDIANA JONES" SUITE (5:58)02 - "E.T." SUITE (11:37)
    "SUPERMAN" SUITE
    03 - I - March of the Villains (2:25)
    04 - II - Can You Read My Mind (Love Theme) (5:32)
    05 - III - Main Theme (4:22)
    "STAR WARS TRILOGY" SUITE ("Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back", "The Return of the Jedi")
    06 - I - Main Theme (5:33)
    07 - II - Princess Leia's Theme (5:03)
    08 - III - Imperial March (3:09)
    09 - IV - Yoda's Theme (4:06)
    10 - V - Han Solo and the Princess (4:49)
    11 - VI - Parade of the Ewoks (3:56)
    Total Time: 56:30
      Overall, the performances are quite competent, but not nearly as good as the original OST recordings. Especially recommended is the arrangement of the Indiana Jones Suite, comprised of The Raiders March, Willie's Theme, Parade of the Slave Children and Short Round's Theme.

01 - "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK/INDIANA JONES" SUITE (5:58)02 - "E.T." SUITE (11:37)
"SUPERMAN" SUITE
03 - I - March of the Villains (2:25)
04 - II - Can You Read My Mind (Love Theme) (5:32)
05 - III - Main Theme (4:22)
"STAR WARS TRILOGY" SUITE ("Star Wars"' date=' "The Empire Strikes Back", "The Return of the Jedi")
06 - I - Main Theme (5:33)
07 - II - Princess Leia's Theme (5:03)
08 - III - Imperial March (3:09)
09 - IV - Yoda's Theme (4:06)
10 - V - Han Solo and the Princess (4:49)
11 - VI - Parade of the Ewoks (3:56)
Total Time: 56:30

Hey, I HAVE this album. Only on cassette. I bought it for 3 british pounds in London back in 1996. Just for the Imperial March and the Indy suite. It was my second exclusively-Williams CD. I think I've lost it now.

-ROSS, with fond memories of his Williams beginnings. ;)

Thank you very much for your help :)

If I am right, the only difference between the two releases is that the 1995 edition has the suites grouped in four tracks, hasn't it ?

I don't know. But I can tell you that the back cover of my CD only lists 4 tracks (one for each suite) and then i, ii, iii, iv etc for every specific movement. But there are actually 11 tracks.

• 12 years later...

Any of you have heard about this 2014 album?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/film-classics-vol.-1/id874297330

cover170x170.jpeg

Film Classics, Vol. 1 - Roy Budd & London Symphony Orchestra

1 - "Indiana Jones - Raiders Of The Lost Ark" Suite

2 - "E.T." Suite

3 - "Superman" Suite: March Of The Villains - Can You Read My Mind (Love Theme) - Main Theme

4 - "Star Wars Trilogy" Suite: Main Theme - Princess Leia's Theme - Imperial March - Yoda's Theme - Han Solo and The Princess - Parade Of The Ewoks

This was one of the first JW compilations I bought. It was a cheap looking release from a discount bin of a local department store. I gave this disc to a friend years ago. If I remember correctly the Indiana Jones Suite actually features part of the Out of Fuel map montage music from ToD. Sadly the suites on the album are really that, long suites without the pieces separated as individual tracks.

If you click on the Amazon link I posted, and then click on the back cover art, you'll see there was a CD version released where each piece was in its own track (so there's 11 tracks instead of 4)

Yeah so it seems. My version corresponded to the listing Bespin posted with long suites and that track order.

I like the SW Theme interpretation... just bought the album on iTunes!

Recently they played E.T. Suite from this album on WQXR (It's how I found it!).

Hey, is that an LSO recording of Williams' Han Solo and the Princess CONCERT ARRANGEMENT!?

I confirm, no Imperial incursion in it!

That recording has been released quite a few times over the years, under many different a title.

It's noteworthy for being one of only 3 known recordings of Han Solo And The Princess. And the only one by the LSO.

Cool, I only have a version by City of Prague

Oh, duh, of course I have that one too.

You forgot that?

I have some three or four different copies of that one, either bought by mistake or offered to me, and they all have just the four tracks. Really don't thing any of them had the cues split, though I'll check it later when I get back home... not that it bothers me they are that way, actually. And while I haven't listened to it in a long time, I do recall it to be a nice recording.

The arrangement of the Indiana Jones suite makes it worth a purchase by itself. Plus it contains probably the best performance of the Han Solo and the Princess concert version.

Plus it contains probably the best performance of the Han Solo and the Princess concert version.

Of course it is a good performance.

But I prefer the recording from Charles Gerhardt.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I remember this album, although I never picked it up myself.

Roy Budd was a fine composer in his own right. Kinda weird to think that it's the same guy who did the brilliant cembalom/jazz music for GET CARTER -- one of my favourite films. Talented and versatile fellow!

I didn't think the sound quality on that was particularly great. The brass, particularly the trumpets, is a bit much and I don't like the overall balance. The performance on the other hand is quite good. Worth having at least.

• 2 years later...

Big Screen Adventure (LSO/Roy Budd)

Published in the USA as Greatest Action Hits.

Does anyone have it? How does it sound? Esp. interested in the “Han Solo and the Princess” (old concert suite) recording. I previously only knew about Gerhardt and Prague.

On 10/31/2015 at 12:14 AM, Ricard said:

The arrangement of the Indiana Jones suite makes it worth a purchase by itself. Plus it contains probably the best performance of the Han Solo and the Princess concert version.

Thanks for the links! Sounds like I’ll have to try to track down a copy.

As for old vs new, well, I gotta have both. The new piece is magnificent, and more interesting, but the Princess Leia quote in the old piece is a sublime moment!

I remember that this one had the Indiana Jones suite with the Map/Out of Fuel montage music from the Temple of Doom, which at the time wasn't available anywhere else.

There's also other crappy sounding recordings of film music by TSO. It all comes down to the arrangements, the conductor, how much time there's available for rehearsing, how many takes that will fit into the schedule, and so on.

• 3 years later...

Well, I opened up my copy of this yesterday.  My copy has different artwork than any of the links in this thread

Big Screen Adventure by London Symphony Orchestra / Roy Budd (Album;  Emporio; EMPRCD 708): Reviews, Ratings, Credits, Song list - Rate Your Music

This edition is by Emporio Records, EMPRCD708, and it does not mention Roy Budd anywhere!

The CD only has 4 tracks, not 11 tracks like some editions.

So track 1 is the Indy suite, track 2 is the ET suite, Track 3 has all the Superman selections all together, with a pause between each, and track 4 has all the Star Wars selections all together, with a pause between each

Overall, I was not impressed with the album.  The performance is not up to par.  Well, honestly, I don't know if its the performance or the recording OF the performance, but it wasn't particularly remarkable.  I wonder if it did not feature the primary LSO members or something.  Or if it was the recording hall (it doesn't even say where it was recorded), or like I said the recording techniques used (there are no credits for that either).

But, despite this, it's still a worthwhile listen, at least once, as some of the arrangements are unique or rare.

For example, the Indiana Jones suite is a completely different arrangement than I've ever heard anywhere else.  It opens mid-way into the Raiders March, and goes on to jump around from bit to bit in that, ending in around 3 minutes, then going onto edited bits of the Temple of Room score (Willie's Theme, Slave Children theme, Short Round's Theme).  It was honestly quite cool to hear a completely new interpretation of how to present the main theme, and it is super rare to get ANY re-recordings of Temple of Doom material (even JW himself didn't record any his entire run at Philips!).

The ET suite is the usual one, that we have a thousand recordings of

I actually really liked the Superman portion. Opening up with the March of the Villains, then going into the Love Theme, then the March, really worked.

The Star Wars stuff is mostly the same ole same ole, and I didn't find any of these renditions particularly remarkable.  But, it was nice to hear the 1980 version of the Han Solo and the Princess concert arrangement, since we don't have many renditions of that.

So, worth checking out, and easily found online in various cheap editions.