Jerry Goldsmith THE MUMMY Intrada 2CD set!!!

Brundlefly

Ordered immediately of course.

And nice to see that Bruce Botnick was once again at the helm of the new mix.

Interesting to hear how the alternate Locusts, one of my favourite unreleased cues from the film, differs from the final version.

I actually used that poster for my edit I but made it my own way.  

I wish I had the money to get both this and The Mummy Returns...

It's interesting to hear "Sand Storm" from the samples.  The opening in this version is different from the isolated score.

I wonder if the original sheet music had Goldsmith spelling it wrong and it just went from Taureg to Tauger on the Decca OST.

The boot (the one with Returns and Scorpion King tracks) spells it as Tauger, Discogs has the OST track as Tuarek, every other source has Tuareg.

It seems some version of the Decca OST spells it right

71oRjgQVPZL._SL1251_.jpg?zoom=2&resize=6

Not that this track title spelling or the cover matter that much compared to the music itself. ;) 

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Think it's the one I've got.

Karol

Ditto.

Are the End Credits after the love theme part an edit or an original cue? I can't place the Imhotep quote, but everything else sounds tracked to me, and the transition between The Caravan and the final bit doesn't quite match the film, suggesting to me that Intrada have recreated it. A  little confused about what's going on there.

And the description mentions Goldsmith dropping every cue from the midsection - I think that lends credence to that being the part Goldsmith didn't agree to score originally, and therefore didn't want on the album.

42 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Are the End Credits after the love theme part an edit or an original cue? I can't place the Imhotep quote, but everything else sounds tracked to me, and the transition between The Caravan and the final bit doesn't quite match the film, suggesting to me that Intrada have recreated it. A  little confused about what's going on there.

And the description mentions Goldsmith dropping every cue from the midsection - I think that lends credence to that being the part Goldsmith didn't agree to score originally, and therefore didn't want on the album.

I don't understand why it seems Intrada decided to recreate the end credits as heard in the film. It's not true to how Goldsmith scored it! Varese did this same shit on the Star Trek: Nemesis 2-CD by recreating that bizarre end credits edit when the album version would have sufficed. If LLL decided to include the film version of ID4's end credits in the main program and left the album version in the bonus tracks section, I would have screamed so loud, the earth's ears would be ringing.

2 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I don't understand why it seems Intrada decided to recreate the end credits as heard in the film. It's not true to how Goldsmith scored it! Varese did this same shit on the Star Trek: Nemesis 2-CD by recreating that bizarre end credits edit when the album version would have sufficed. If LLL decided to include the film version of ID4's end credits in the main program and left the album version in the bonus tracks section, I would have screamed so loud, the earth's ears would be ringing.

You must chill!

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Aw man. I was excited to buy a complete score release that I could just play the actual CDs straight through, without having to make my own edit. They even split the score over 2 discs to keep it C&C (as opposed to the E.T. and Close Encounters approach). BLARG!

Is the original album version of "The Sand Volcano" the whole finale as written? Maybe on disc 2 this is salvageable by playing track 1 followed by track 20?

If it's true, it could have been an interesting experiment to try and place Goldsmith's original intended 70 minutes on Disc 1, and the rest of the cues he was "forced" to write on Disc 2 - a bit similarly to Close Encounters, except indicating the complete order in the booklet.. Also, source cues seem to be missing.

5 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Which ones was he forced to write?

We don't know for sure.  But the music omitted from the album is a good clue, as it's mostly the underscore cues from the middle of the film and together with a few missing short action cues, comes to 30 mins, which is what he's said to have done extra.

Problem is, there are a lot of random quotes and 'reports' around the forum, but no solid verifiable information. it's about as difficult as finding the quotes regarding Goldsmith not liking the film or the scoring process.

When did Intrada start using "No Previously Released" instead of "Previously Unreleased"?

The old way sounds nicer.

Just now, Jay said:

When did Intrada start using "No Previously Released" instead of "Previously Unreleased"?

The old way sounds nicer.

Like how maps now say "legend" instead of "key". Like... what?

6 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I too am a little annoyed about the re-created End Credits for some releases IE: The Mummy, Star Trek Nemesis, Star Trek Into Darkness instead of using their original versions.  I mean yes for Star Trek Nemesis the revised "A New Ending" was used in the film AND on the OST.  The full revised album version of said cue should have been used on the Deluxe Edition in the main program and not the re-created film version.

BTW I wonder if "Airplane Ride" will be an unused version.  In the film / isolated score it was tracked from "Rebirth".

I liked that they included the end credits edit for Star Trek Into Darkness.  It was my gateway into the score, as they often are.

If it comes down to "we're out of room, we're not going to 2 (or 3) discs, something's got to go" then yeah of course they should be the first to go.   But otherwise, I like them being included.

The debate isn't about if end credits should be included or not.

The debate is about when a composer writes the end credits one way, but then in the final film the music editors change stuff around from how he intended it... and then a specialty label CD replicates the music editor's hackjob instead of the composer's intentions.