Jerry Goldsmith THE MUMMY Intrada 2CD set!!!

Brundlefly

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What exactly are you referring to?

Good question.

Here's a quick comparison of a particularly weird section of Night Boarders: OST mix first, Intrada main mix second.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eNG2npKpJ-NCJBqZxynwZfB18ub5wqGm/view?usp=sharing

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Here's a quick comparison of a particularly weird section of Night Boarders: OST mix first, Intrada main mix second.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eNG2npKpJ-NCJBqZxynwZfB18ub5wqGm/view?usp=sharing

Was I supposed to detect any flaws in the expanded version? Because I didn't.

The bouzouki progressively sounds worse and the strings enter pretty muffled but gradually get better. Like if there's a crossfade there from one take to the other but they're off by a few milliseconds and the window is left too wide so issues pop up.

Things like this i consider negligible, especially because it's a more idiosyncratic mix (more rough and tumble) than the 'polished' Decca mix. The Silvestri is a whole different level of fuck up

Oh, another thing! The Intrada has a better cover! :D (But also has the OST one on the back of the booklet for rampant masochists)

18 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Could someone sum up the pros and cons of the expanded Mummy over the OST? I'm considering to get the expansion, if it's worth it.

The OST is a perfect representation of the score and it's like the C&C is screaming "I'm not done by Mike Matessino!"

There is a thread with a guide, how to dodge most of the inconveniences of the Intrada version.

The Intrada release of The Mummy has some issues - nothing we're used to from Intrada. The mix is questionable at times, there are some disturbing noises in a few tracks, the volume difference between the complete score and the original album is conspicious and especially the replications of the film edits don't do the listening experience a favor, nor are they necessary to satisfy the completists - a weird decision that reminds me of bootleg releases.

It is, however, possible to create a completely satisfying listening experience that is complete and chronological, without any noticable volume differences or static noises. If you want to take advantage of the respectively better mix (old or new) I would recommend you to do the following:

Take the original album tracks in the brackets (Taureg Attack, Giza Port, Night Boarders, The Caravan, Camel Race, Mumia Attack, The Mummy, The Sand Volcano) and increase their volume + 3dB with a music or video editor. The louder replicas of these tracks will replace the newly mixed tracks that have sound errors or an inferior mix.

Delete the complete score tracks in the brackets (The Tauregs Attack, Giza Port (alternate), Night Boarders, The Caravan, Camel Race, Mumia Attack, Airplane Ride, The Mummy Attack, The Sand Volcano, End Credits) and replace them with the corresponding tracks that you just modified in volume. The two tracks Airplane Ride and End Credits do not have a corresponding track to replace them with.

Now your complete score program should look as follows:

1. Imhotep
  2. The Sarcophagus
  3. Taureg Attack (modified Decca album track)
  4. Closed Door
  5. Undiscovered Creature
  6. Off Balance
  7. A Key in the Hand
  8. The Hanging
  9. Giza Port (modified Decca album track)
  10. Night Boarders (modified Decca album track)
  11. The Caravan (modified Decca album track)
  12. Camel Race (modified Decca album track)
  13. The Prep Room
  14. The Mummy Sarcophagus
  15. Mumia Attack (modified Decca album track)*
  16. A Librarian
  17. Discoveries
  18. The Plagues
  19. The Locusts (original version)
  20. Never Stop
  21. Finish the Job
  22. Regeneration
  23. Alley Attack
  24. The Flies
  25. Sleeping Evy
  26. My Favorite Plague (original version)
  27. Crowd Control
  28. Sand Storm
  29. Desert Burial
  30. Rebirth
  31. The Mummy (modified Decca album track)
  32. Escape from the Tomb
  33. The Sand Volcano (modified Decca album track)

That's just my recommendation, but I prefer that assembly over the main program that Intrada provided us. Intrada is great, but this release is not necessarily that great.

*If you want to keep your program complete, you have to separate "The Warden's Bag" from the complete score track "Mumia Attack" and attach it to the original album track of "Mumia Attack".

"Undiscovered Creature", "The Locusts", "Never Stop" and "Sleeping Evy" have some decent additions to offer. "Sand Storm" is overhyped by some people, it's basically the hero theme again.

This is really one of few Goldsmith scores, where I can recommend the OST, because the OST is one of the best and the C&C is one of the worst releases.

The Locusts and Sand Storm are the two big ones. The rest I like not because they're such insane highlights at all, but because they give a lot more texture and breathing space which I vastly prefer over rushing from setpiece to setpiece.

I haven't listened to Returns in over a year I think. It might be more fun in some parts but drags as a whole, sound is not great, the first is much better overall!

The OST was a lot of fun but it is missing all of the climax. The thing is that is exactly the section that has all the sound issues. You just can't win with this score...  But still one of Silvestri's best.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

The OST was a lot of fun but it is missing all of the climax. The thing is that is exactly the section that has all the sound issues. You just can't win with this score...  But still one of Silvestri's best.

You can only win if MM is going to revisit both scores.

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Do what I do! Rearrange the playlist so Bus Ride is the climax! :D

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2020 at 1:53 PM, Holko said:

Good question.

The distortion effect is similar to what happens when you have two nearly identical audio tracks playing at the same time in Audacity. Such as playing the Harry Potter OST tracks at the same time as the 5.1 surround sound tracks, or an original OST track with a remastered one (as long as it's a digital recording).

Does anyone have a high-resolution scan of the Intrada cover? They only released a 600 pixel version.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:02 AM, Drew said:

Does anyone have a high-resolution scan of the Intrada cover? They only released a 600 pixel version.

I also wanted one so decided to remake it to the best of my ability (with some tweaks) as well as the sequel score cover:

Mummy.jpg

The-Mummy-Returns.jpg

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Not very accommodating of varying tastes are we.

You should have said this sarcastically/ironically, like: "Accommodating of varying tastes, aren't you?"

I'm sure he would have understood!

Meh, didn't want to overthink my response.

I do find parts of Returns a bit dull because I don't like Silvestri's tension scoring as much. I also find the finale weaker than Goldsmith's, and not helped by the bad sound. Both scores are nostalgically important for me though, so they're in my playlist in their entirety. I just don't listen to #2 as much.

It’s just a bunch of the same ol’ “ooooo aaaaa” technique with no themes of interest. The action music is as dull and deprived of enthusiasm as nearly any 90’s Goldsmith. Silvestri’s at least has energy and a couple of good tunes.

But I’d take King Solomon’s Mines over either one.

One thing that keeps me enthralled by The Mummy is the sound mastering on the OST. It's really one of the best sounding Goldsmith releases, with sonics that have so much clawing attack, the likes of Brian Tyler and his loud, flat and wimpy masters would cower like Imhotep seeing a cat.

15 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

It’s just a bunch of the same ol’ “ooooo aaaaa” technique

Fair criticism of the choral writing, I suppose. It's not QB VII or The Omen.

no themes of interest.

I find the themes in the score very memorable. You don't even like the love theme? :o 

The action music is as dull and deprived of enthusiasm as nearly any 90’s Goldsmith

giphy.gif

I think it's among the most thrilling action music of Jerry's entire career, and it (along with The Shadow) completely disproves the notion that his action writing became simplistic in the 90s. There are plenty of complex lines and complex rhythms at work. Yet you're acting like it some generic U.S. Marshals type action scoring...

Silvestri’s at least has energy and a couple of good tunes.

But I’d take King Solomon’s Mines over either one.

That surprises me. I find King Solomon's Mines comparatively simplistic (probably because he knew he was writing for an inferior orchestra), and the themes don't appeal to me nearly as much. (It doesn't help that I find the Wagner usage grating).

I will agree with you that, purely on themes (but not architecture), Silvestri's score might win. Normally I prefer Goldsmith themes to Silvestri themes (Back to the Future is IMO one of the most overrated film score themes of all time) but in this case, Silvestri wrote TWO gorgeous Golden Age-style love themes, that great Sandcastles theme (my favorite), and a new long-lined heroic theme for Rick. I'm a bit torn on the Rick ("My First Bus Ride") one, because I think it gets a bit repetitive and wears out its welcome by the end (whereas with the other themes I just wanted MORE). Goldsmith's action theme for Rick is much shorter and more simple, but it's also more malleable and he varies it more interestingly throughout the score. Silvestri's theme usually just repeats in similar guise every time there's an action sequence.

Yavar

Silvestri's theme are OK in a very broad way, but certainly no match for JG. Goldsmith modeled all his themes on the same semitones, making the 'hero' theme a bit of a bumbling thing (transformed into a heroic key they become a bit hokey), but i'm not sure Silvestri's screeching BTTF fanfare works much better. 

On 2/19/2020 at 9:48 PM, publicist said:

I'm not sure Silvestri's screeching BTTF fanfare works much better. 

Silvestri's notorious feature is to tread water. The themes in Allied is nothing more than 80s SIlvestri love theme clichées.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:34 AM, Kasey Kockroach said:

Silvestri’s at least has energy and a couple of good tunes.

No energy?

In the album notes it says that there's choir in Giza Port (OST mix) but not in the film version (disc 1), but I can't hear the choir - or is it mixed too low for my computer speakers?

It's actually the Disc 1 version that has an "aaaahhhhh"-ing female choir from aroind 1:31.

9 minutes ago, fommes said:

In the album notes it says that there's choir in Giza Port (OST mix) but not in the film version (disc 1), but I can't hear the choir - or is it mixed too low for my computer speakers?

The liner notes also state there are three versions of "The Locusts" with the third as part of the Decca album, another mistake.

And "My Favourite Plague" Original Version just uses the OST version, right, or is there another difference except for the extended part?

So, to sum up, I'm not missing anything if I've done the following?

Put all album tracks in the main programme (except "Mumia Attack", "Rebirth" and "My Favourite Plague" - see below). 
Lower all Intrada complete score tracks by -3db.
Retain "Giza Port", because the Intrada disc 1 version has a choir overlay at 1:31.
Edit "The Warden's Bag" into the album mix of "Mumia Attack".
Use "My Favorite Plague (Original Version)" instead of the OST track, because the latter seems to be included in the former - the volume is on level of the OST tracks for disc 2 track 5.
Delete "Airplane Ride".
"Rebirth" is very slightly extended at some points in comparison with the OST version - either choose the complete Intrada version or the OST mix.
Delete "End Credits" and be sure to use "The Sand Volcano" from the OST.