Jerry Goldsmith THE MUMMY Intrada 2CD set!!!

Brundlefly

10 hours ago, fommes said:

So, to sum up, I'm not missing anything if I've done the following?

Put all album tracks in the main programme (except "Mumia Attack", "Rebirth" and "My Favourite Plague" - see below). 
Lower all Intrada complete score tracks by -3db.
Retain "Giza Port", because the Intrada disc 1 version has a choir overlay at 1:31.
Edit "The Warden's Bag" into the album mix of "Mumia Attack".
Use "My Favorite Plague (Original Version)" instead of the OST track, because the latter seems to be included in the former - the volume is on level of the OST tracks for disc 2 track 5.
Delete "Airplane Ride".
"Rebirth" is very slightly extended at some points in comparison with the OST version - either choose the complete Intrada version or the OST mix.
Delete "End Credits" and be sure to use "The Sand Volcano" from the OST.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:31 AM, Brundlefly said:

Thanks for the link and your guide, which I'd seen. But I'm using a few more album tracks even than you - which is probably why there are three alternates in my programme. Just wanted to check if I didn't miss anything.

• 1 year later...

I’m strongly considering buying this and Mummy Returns since I missed them both last time. 

Good idea?

I know there have been some complaints about these releases (tracked music, odd mixing choices, etc)...

They are by far the worst that Intrada has put out in recent time - which doesn't mean a lot since they're usually doing a great job, but in this case there are some serious issues concerning the presentation, the mix, sonic artifacts, volume dips, the cover and the liner notes. I'd gratefully buy a newly mixed and mastered release on par with the usual Intrada quality.

I’m hesitant to ask because I’m not much of an audiophile. I tend to not notice some irregularities until they’re pointed out. 😬But what kind of issues does Mummy Returns have? Do the finale tracks at least sound better than this? 

46 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

the mix, sonic artifacts, volume dips,

At least for The Mummy, most of these can be done away with by just switching the main program tracks with the corresponding, handily included OST master versions. But yeah, they're definitely below par.

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

I’m hesitant to ask because I’m not much of an audiophile. I tend to not notice some irregularities until they’re pointed out. 😬But what kind of issues does Mummy Returns have? Do the finale tracks at least sound better than this? 

Not as bad as that version, but they don't sound as good as the other parts. It's hard to put your finger on what's wrong exactly - but something is.

50 minutes ago, Holko said:

At least for The Mummy, most of these can be done away with by just switching the main program tracks with the corresponding, handily included OST master versions. But yeah, they're definitely below par.

Yes, I did that for part of The Tuaregs Attack and the end credits. For most of it I got used to the new mix, but it does rotate the soundscape somewhat, hiding some instruments more.

Wow. I couldn't live with the suddenly raised noise level at the end of Camel Race or the insane amateur (demaster-level, those have this issue too) seconds-long phasing for an edit between takes for Night Boarders.

I wonder if some of these issues have been rectified on both scores since they are both on their second pressing(?) I suppose they would make mention of that though huh...

I don't think there's anything to rectify... the static at the end of Camel Race was apparently always there, and the different mix is just that.

The only thing I'd have changed would've been to dump that unnecessary end credits edit and put on a clean version of the love theme opening.

And the only issue with Returns is the subpar sound quality on the climax cues, which clearly were just recorded badly.

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

the static at the end of Camel Race was apparently always there,

Oh, okay, then that justifies making it a lot worse.

The OST track of Camel Race sounds exactly as clear and crisp as the C&C track and still you hear nothing that shouldn't be there.

I replaced a lot of the C&C tracks with OST tracks. Luckily, the tracks with really bad issues all have their OST counterparts. The mix from 1999 is just much more professionally balanced. The 2018 mix ranges from spot-on to weird distortion or brickwalling. The main issue on several occasions, however, is all the instruments fighting for the center of attention.

The new mix on The Mummy is a bit more dirty, lively sounding, not smooth/polished like the Decca - which probably was the point, since the Decca was included. 

Whatever happened to The Mummy Returns doesn't affect the L. A. sessions only, i once did a 1:1 comparison of an OST track, Scorpion Shoes, i believe, and that sounded muffled on the Intrada, but fine on the Decca. The most glaring thing is a narrow stereo field, i. e. in Canyon Deluge, and no one can sell me that they did a QC on that. 

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Huh, it looks like I never posted here when I did, but last month I took the shrinkwrap off my copy of the Intrada release and listened to it and really liked it.

I'm not familiar enough with this score to have noticed any issues nor was I blasting it at a loud enough volume where any issues may have been noticeable.

I just played the 2 discs as they are and really enjoyed it.

I want to listen again now that I've revisited the movie!