Jerry Goldsmith THE MUMMY Intrada 2CD set!!!

Brundlefly

Forgive me if I'm dovetailing the conversation, but I have a question: if you were to convince me that The Mummy is worth listening to, what single track would you use to make your case?

I wouldn't say it's a MUST-HAVE DROP EVERYTHING BANKRUPT YOURSELF AND LOSE YOUR HOUSE BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T PAY THE BILLS YOU NEED THIS, but it's a fun one. I merely got the Silvestri one first just to try something different since I have a ton of Goldsmith as is while I only have like one or two Silvestri scores, and even then, I intend to get this release later within the next month or so. 

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

In order to separate 9m4 Finish The Job and 9m6 He's Here from the source music you'll need rear channel rips of the isolated score.

Yes I had to do that for my rip.

But this set makes that irrelevant now :)

That edit in the sample is pretty bad really. However, I wonder if they recreated it because of how the album would end if they only included the love theme and Rick's theme. If the love theme was Goldsmith's intended opening and they wanted to keep that, Rick's theme doesn't really end very powerfully and I think the 'Egypt' theme works well after it, so maybe they decided to put the whole ending so that the album ended better. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Forgive me if I'm dovetailing the conversation, but I have a question: if you were to convince me that The Mummy is worth listening to, what single track would you use to make your case?

3:15 onward in the last one is among my top favourite rhythmic passages in all Goldsmith.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

That edit in the sample is pretty bad really. However, I wonder if they recreated it because of how the album would end if they only included the love theme and Rick's theme. If the love theme was Goldsmith's intended opening and they wanted to keep that, Rick's theme doesn't really end very powerfully and I think the 'Egypt' theme works well after it, so maybe they decided to put the whole ending so that the album ended better. Just a thought.

Believe me, they cannot have done it for listening purposes of any kind. There simply is no reason.

There's one thing I'm hearing immediately, which is that the isolated score mix clearly dialed down some of the synths in some key sections. It otherwise has a very different mix in many places, with instruments moved around the soundscape. I'd even go as far as to say that I might create my custom album based more on iso score rips than this set. I personally think the iso score is clearer in many cases.

Surprisingly, Plane Ride is exactly what Trent mentioned - it's tracked from Rebirth! What an odd release - two occasions where they've recreated tracked cues.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Surprisingly, Plane Ride is exactly what Trent mentioned - it's tracked from Rebirth! What an odd release - two occasions where they've recreated tracked cues.

Wow that is simply strange. I would have assumed that these guys would know this stuff inside out before putting it on disc. I wonder if the liner notes explain this or the re-creation of the editorial end credits suite.

But at least there is nothing missing from this set.

Why does that seem so strange? C&C mania certainly dictates to offer a visible cue from the movie, because there would be a 40% complaints if they missed putting this out. I cite from JWFan and FSM: 'I wish they would have put this on Disc 1, there was so much room left...oh well...' (wistful emoticon)

Ok, need clarification here: how long is the track and how much of it is tracked? Did we not know this from the isolated score? 

Oh, I thought it was part of, or the Sand Storm! Then as a separate track, I do understand the confusion. Is is the cue that plays when Ardeth Bay has the time of his life on the plane wing?

Here is Doug Fake indicating  about the 2 presentations in the Liner Notes Tech Talk section:

"......Jerry Goldsmith and Bruce Botnick assembled the original Decca release from a hybrid of both film takes and alternates....

For Intrada’s complete score presentation plus the alternates, Botnick has prepared brand-new digital two-track mixes of everything, using the 48-track session masters and revisiting his own work from 1999, albeit using today’s enhanced audio capabilities. For the complete Decca album presentation, we have used the digital two-track album master. All source material was housed in the vaults of Universal Pictures in pristine condition and has been used in the preparation of this release with their kind permission."

I suspect it was a planned approach to use the film edits where possible. Certainly in the case of the End Credit, otherwise the folks would have screamed at Intrada since they were already used to hearing it. 

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Ok, need clarification here: how long is the track and how much of it is tracked? Did we not know this from the isolated score? 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I guess it's a 50-second cue called 'Plane Ride'.

Yes to these two posts.

51 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh, I thought it was part of, or the Sand Storm! Then as a separate track, I do understand the confusion. Is is the cue that plays when Ardeth Bay has the time of his life on the plane wing?

Nope it is from "Rebirth".

8 hours ago, Amer said:

I suspect it was a planned approach to use the film edits where possible. Certainly in the case of the End Credit, otherwise the folks would have screamed at Intrada since they were already used to hearing it. 

But these releases are generally 'as intended'; in fact I can't think of another release that recreated tracked music.

I'm not complaining - we lose nothing by having film edits in this case, and some will gain. It's just odd that they decided to do it for this release.

15 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

But these releases are generally 'as intended'; in fact I can't think of another release that recreated tracked music.

Well, get ready, because there's another specialty label release coming out this year that does it too!

Just now, Jay said:

Well, get ready, because there's another specialty label release coming out this year that does it too!

Attack of the Clones!  Finally! :P 

The Star Wars scores will be handled by Disney Records for now into perpetuity, not a specialty label

There are only a few Star Wars scores in this world Disco Stu and none of them should joked about lightly.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I really hate posts like this. 

15 minutes ago, Incanus said:

There are only a few Star Wars scores in this world Disco Stu and none of them should joked about lightly.

It was just a bit of fun!

Oh you're probably right, as usual.

Heh. Funnily enough, you wouldn't have to do a lot to make this set into a UE.

Aside from truncated openings/closings, I've so far only spotted one microedited cue (the end of Escape from the Tomb).

47 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Heh. Funnily enough, you wouldn't have to do a lot to make this set into a UE.

Aside from truncated openings/closings, I've so far only spotted one microedited cue (the end of Escape from the Tomb).

Time stamp? I assume the original album presentation has the micro edit restored. Or do you gotta use the iso score?

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

"Escape from the Tomb" was not on the original album.  So how do you know it was microedited in that case?

Oh ya forgot my bad.  Chances are he's comparing it with the isolated score cue.  

My thinking on the End Credits, and why I think they did it. Since the "intended" end credits as Goldsmith wrote them are included in the OST presentation of The Sand Volcano), it's more a case of "Why Not since some people want it?" type decision. Something needs to be in that spot, and simply repeating what is at the end of the album would be a waste of disk space.

Personally, I'm fine with having both options.

2 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Oh ya forgot my bad.  Chances are he's comparing it with the isolated score cue.  

Not familiar with the ISO score version of the cue versus the CD, but is it possible that the iso score contains an editorially created change, while the CD is accurate to what was recorded for the cue?

9 minutes ago, Trent B said:

The ISO track for Escape from the Tomb is about 1:10 long while the Intrada track list has it 1:52 so the full cue is about 40 seconds longer than the  ISO one.

If that's all it is, then I'm not worried.

I'm also wondering if there are things such as repeated bars etc. created editorially to fit the film during post?

I'll have to listen to the cue when I get home to compare with the sessions.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm not complaining - we lose nothing by having film edits in this case, and some will gain. It's just odd that they decided to do it for this release.

FSM's release of Williams' Black Sunday has a reconstruction of the film version of the End Title.

And while not entirely the same, the end titles to Ghost and the Darkness is editorially created.

Re. Escape From the Tomb - yes, I was comparing the set with the iso score cue, and the film cuts out a section of the cue at the end.

10 minutes ago, Falafel said:

FSM's release of Williams' Black Sunday has a reconstruction of the film version of the End Title.

And while not entirely the same, the end titles to Ghost and the Darkness is editorially created.

Ok, so they're pretty rare...

The credits pieces on the Jurassic Park set? Both are baffling, but tolerated because of the complete lack of extras otherwise.

These recreations are just superfluous. On the other hand - why not, if there's space left? But in this case the end credits just sound like an awful mess. The special labels should really not listen to some fanatics' wishes.