Jump to content
Jurassic Shark

Psycho (Herrmann) vs. Psycho II (Goldsmith)

Psycho (Herrmann) vs. Psycho II (Goldsmith)  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Which score gives the best listening experience away from the film?

    • Psycho
    • Psycho II
    • Haven't listened to both scores
      0
  2. 2. Which score has the best highlights?

    • Psycho
    • Psycho II
    • Haven't listened to both scores
      0
  3. 3. Which score works best in the film?



Recommended Posts

I see no reason to declare superiority in either case. One's a classic, one's an underrated worthy sequel.

Goldsmith's is certainly the easier listening experience, but I suppose that doesn't inherently make it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goldsmith's is a blur of forgettableness. Not complete amnesia. I remember the main title.

 

Obviously the original is great and perfect regardless of what JW rather idiotically claimed in a magazine interview.

 

I don't think either one of those composers "got" the score to Psycho. Jerry did his own thing mostly but it's a remarkably unnecessary bland work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

The first one is too high pitchy and squeaky for me listen to on its own. The second one is better.

 

Try listening to the rerecording by McNeely instead of the horribly sounding OST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even then, there is little sustained interest in herrmann's (no doubt effective) half-tone steps. 'Psycho' is well-served by the 12-minute suite Herrmann compiled in the late 60's. The Goldsmith is by design less visible but at least plays around with a few more moods to hang onto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, publicist said:

Even then, there is little sustained interest in herrmann's (no doubt effective) half-tone steps. 'Psycho' is well-served by the 12-minute suite Herrmann compiled in the late 60's. The Goldsmith is by design less visible but at least plays around with a few more moods to hang onto.

 

I can understand that Herrmann's complete score can be perceived as having too much moody underscoring, and it indeed took me a while to get into it. Now I appreciate this mood music for setting a great atmosphere.

 

18 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

 

Really? The Omen relaxes me.

 

There's only one explanation for that: you're the antichrist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can understand that Herrmann's complete score can be perceived as having too much moody underscoring, and it indeed took me a while to get into it. Now I appreciate this mood music for setting a great atmosphere.

 

It still is very repetitive and doesn't carry a 60+ listening experience. I'd say anyone with a real interest should pass on that and go for the 34-minute Elfman re-recording. Better acoustics by a wide margin, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, the McNeely is the one that's closest to the original recording when it comes to the energy in the key pieces, like Prelude and The Rainstorm. The original recording is still the best, and the master tapes are known to be out there in excellent sound. I'll be surprised if we don't see a complete release in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's alright. I suppose the novelty of Norman Bates being the protagonist and seeing all that stuff again in color was that movie's legacy. III was forgettable and IV had the awesome scenes of young Norman played by Henry Thomas and Olivia Hussey dressing him up like a girl and locking him in the closet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have loved a Psycho V where Norman has to deal with whether his offspring is as mad/evil as he was. It would have been like the Little Nicky subplot in Twin Peaks. Shame Perkins carked it early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Anybody else here see the Gus Van Sant remake before they saw the original?  I did.

 

What was that like? I actually kinda like it--the original foundations are so solid--but man were there some weird choices in it, like the Euro music video look of the main lady (Janet?).

9 hours ago, publicist said:

 

It still is very repetitive and doesn't carry a 60+ listening experience. I'd say anyone with a real interest should pass on that and go for the 34-minute Elfman re-recording. Better acoustics by a wide margin, too.

 

The Suite recorded by Salonen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, publicist said:

PSYCHO II is not a bad movie. And no B movie, either.

Indeed, although everything about the movie hints at a bad movie.

 

17 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Goldsmith's is a blur of forgettableness. Not complete amnesia. I remember the main title.

The score as a whole is one of his weaker ones, the main theme is one of his best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...