Favourite Williams Harp-line ending

leeallen01

As we all know, Williams loves to end his pieces with a soft harp run. What are your favourite examples or favourite pieces that end with his famous harp line.

Here's one of mine - It's at the end of course.

This is also a very special one for me from Marions Theme, because when I saw him conduct for the first time in Chicago, as the harp player was plucking the end to this piece, Williams gestured with his fingers at the harpist, as if he was playing the harp himself, plucking his fingers in the air as the piece ended. So wonderful to see.

9 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Across the Stars ending is easily my favourite. 

Absolutely haunting in the restatement of the finale . The entire arc of Anakin - the child-like Anakin's Theme, the Love Theme, and the foreshadowing Imperial March - followed by a sardonically calm conclusion with the harp. Perhaps the only moments of peace Anakin had during his entire life were immediately after his secret marriage to Padme.

One of my favourites is definitely the ending of the Born on the Fourth of July suite where Williams added that little harp figure at the end which wasn't in the end credits or anywhere else in the film which is just superb little piece of orchestration.

Yes that harp ending is probably my favourite little thing he did in TLJ. The words "to be continued" in musical form.

I love the multiple harp endings he uses to accompany the ominous Imperial March references.

And 1:55 to the end is harp-mania.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, aviazn said:

Yes, if we can count that restatement of the theme—which of course comes before the "soft harp ending" proper—then it's no contest to me.

Otherwise, I'd go with The Last Jedi, with its two harp lines—or at least, it's mixed that way, on opposite ends of the stage. I love the unexpected dissonances in the first arpeggio, and then the way the second one resolves them harmonically but ends on the dominant, not quite finishing the figure.

This score is full of this kind of little gems and its masterfully performed. I do not get why it is so underrated. Cant wait for the final one.