Braveheart vs. Titanic - which score do you like the most?

Which score do you like the most?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you like the most?

Just recreated the film version of "Betrayal & Desolation".  First I removed the crossfade and added in a second-long pause in between the cues; then I recreated that synth string passage in GarageBand and added it back in.

6 minutes ago, TitanicFan2018 said:

Just recreated the film version of "Betrayal & Desolation".  First I removed the crossfade and added in a second-long pause in between the cues; then I recreated that synth string passage in GarageBand and added it back in.

I took it straight from the film, since there were literally no sound effects at all in it, and there wasn't any missing music from the center channel. 

7 minutes ago, TitanicFan2018 said:

Seems to me a good introduction if someday you see a psychiatrist!

Another thing I definitely like about Braveheart is there are no sloppy micro-edits to the score throughout the film.  

In Titanic, the score is cut up, tracked, looped, thrown into a blender, and scattered around like confetti.  The only film edit that worked was "2 1/2 Miles Down".  However, there are different mixes (regarding audio adjustments) that work well and I really like (e.g. amping up the driving thumping bass line in "Take Her To Sea, Mr. Murdoch", removing the bagpipes in "Unable To Stay, Unwilling To Leave", removing the synth choir and dialing out the octave synth overlay while bumping up Sissel's vocals and the harp in "Rose", etc).  And there is a difference between film mixes and film edits.  Many of the film edits, I find to be a horrible listening experience.

• 1 year later...

Tbh, the thing I like the most about Titanic is the action music from the sinking sequences. The unused theme from An Ocean of Memories is great as well. But I'm not a fan of the love theme (specially the horrible version by Celine Dion).

Braveheart is the exact opposite, I love the love theme and the more emotional material, but the action music isn't that great.

The love theme from TITANIC suffers from the 'evergreen' syndrome. It's been played to death over the years, like - say - Barber's "Adagio for Strings" or Vivaldi's THE FOUR SEASONS or whatever. But if you look and listen to it from a more objective viewpoint, it's actually a GORGEOUS theme, one of Horner's best. Whatever one thinks of Celine Dion's performance.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Braveheart is the exact opposite, I love the love theme and the more emotional material, but the action music isn't that great.

There's isn't all that much action music in that score, though. A lot of the action is (wisely) left unscored. The bulk of the score comprises of (beautiful) lyrical stuff.

I do like the stingers Horner uses for some of the cuts, though. Usually a synth building up to either a riff of the Shakuhachi or a drumbeat just as the film cuts away. Very effective.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Mark of Zorro by Alfred Newman is the best. :) Too bad there's no soundtrack release of that one, but there's a great suite with Roy Budd conducting the LSO.

That's fine too, but MASK OF ZORRO is in another league for me. One of Horner's alltime best.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's fine too, but MASK OF ZORRO is in another league for me. One of Horner's alltime best.

Then I challenge you to write a review explaining what's so great about it! :)

I feel like Titanic would be considered middling-tier Horner were it not for the wild success of its movie. That Enya lift, however well-motivated, is embarrassing. Braveheart, on the other hand, is apex-Horner.

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

MASK OF ZORRO is much better than LEGEND OF ZORRO.

Legend of Zorro does have that barn-burner of an action set-piece, though. "The Train," the last 3-4 minutes of which being the most unexpectedly Williams-esque action music in Horner's output. Or, rather, Horner ± Conrad Pope's output, if anyone is willing to dredge up old controversies...

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then I challenge you to write a review explaining what's so great about it! :)

Oh, I have like a million Horner titles lined up for review! :)

On 7/3/2020 at 12:59 PM, Falstaft said:

I feel like Titanic would be considered middling-tier Horner were it not for the wild success of its movie.

Nah. Where do you think the movie's success came from? The film is just an exceptionally produced bundle of gimmicks. What is the underlying fabric of the movie's characters and emotion?

He, he.

I really wish there was a separate forum for STAR WARS stuff, like there is for LOTR. Would tidy up some of the 'clutter' in the general discussions area.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I really wish there was a separate forum for STAR WARS stuff, like there is for LOTR. Would tidy up some of the 'clutter' in the general discussions area.

It wouldn't save you from all these take overs:sarcasm:

I never understood why people consider threads they don't want to read "clutter".  I simply open threads I want to read, and ignore threads I don't want to read.  I don't get it.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I never understood why people consider threads they don't want to read "clutter".  I simply open threads I want to read, and ignore threads I don't want to read.  I don't get it.

It's no big deal or anything, but a minor nuissance. Isn't this why the LOTR sub forum was created in the first place? So why not the same for STAR WARS, which has an equally monumental presence?

5 hours ago, Thor said:

It's no big deal or anything, but a minor nuissance. Isn't this why the LOTR sub forum was created in the first place? So why not the same for STAR WARS, which has an equally monumental presence?

I think the major difference between the two things you're describing is, with LOTR there was a large amount of people interested in having more LOTR content, as well as a large amount of people who didn't want to see any LOTR content all. 

With Star Wars, you are literally the only person I've ever seen complain that there are too many Star Wars threads.  I mean, this is a website dedicated to John Williams, and Star Wars is his magnum opus, of course people want to talk about it.  New members join here every week solely to talk about Star Wars music.

I am guessing any other posters that don't care about Star Wars simply don't open threads that mention Star Wars in their titles.  Easy peasy.

44 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If I'm not mistaken, Thor was referring to threads of non-SW topics that were derailed with SW discussions.

Not really, but certainly that too.

• 3 months later...